The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Favorite Impromptu Restaurant effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
Torn and restored napkin is good. I also like using the napkins for the effect "Two in the Hand—One in the Pocket".

Steve
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10589 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Placing a full glass of water upside down over a coin, then leaving. I only do this to a rude waitress.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
Spoon (to be speaking in detail, P. Wilson's handling) or Benechek fork bending and twisting routines.

If I have my cards out I combine them with napkin kind of magic where they find their selection under it or something like that. Good way to follow up is Scarney's vanishing deck from napkin trick.

Sometimes I do Harlan's Starcle and of course napkin rose. Oh there's something called Paper Chase in the AOA books but I haven't tried it on real people. Have you? If so, what are your experiences with it?
Thanks
sigivert
View Profile
New user
New York City
47 Posts

Profile of sigivert
A very nice routine I ran into was John Carney in an early Stevens tape where he had a coins and glass routine where first the coins penetrated the glass, then it ends with the glass penetrating the table. Very very clean and smooth ideas. Totally impromptu, just needing some change, a rocks type glass, and a paper napkin. The exact name eludes me but I think it was something really basic like "coins and glass"...but heck, how many tricks share that name? Smile
Pinky
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
49 Posts

Profile of Pinky
Is this while eating at the establishment or you're actually being paid to be there?

If I'm actually working, I like Slydini's pins (which aren't impromptu, but appear to be), 10000 grains of salt (from Michael Ammar's "Money Miracles" videos), and my billswitch (which doesn't use a TT and is pretty visual, while remaining ungimmicked).

If I'm eating, I like to do a lot of lapping stuff a la Slydini (can you tell I like his stuff?). When done well, people are floored and a few general techniques open up a world of possibilities.

If you learn a series of universal tools (lapping, timing, misdirection, sleeving, TT, pocketing, etc), you'll be ready to improvise effects. Then, you'll be doing TRULY impromptu magic.

-Dave Cross
Dave Cross

"The problem with being better than everyone else is that people tend to think you're pretentious."
DonB
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DonB
Dan Harlan has an effect with a napkin where he folds and tears it. When he opens the napkin, the whole is in the shape of a circle. When the torn out portion is opened, the paper is in the shape of a star. I believe the effect is called Starcle.

DonB
Sneakers
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
106 Posts

Profile of Sneakers
Hey Sigivert,

I think you're pretty darn close on the name of the John Carney effect. He actually calls it "Coin In Glass" and if it's the same routine that I'm thinking of you'll find it on "Coin Classics Volume 1 - the Greater Magic Video Library Teach-In Sessions" put out by Stevens Magic Emporium.

The copy I've got isn't all *that* old (copyright 2000) and it's got a HEAP of really good routines from a lot of different guys— Mike Ammar, Jay Sankey, David Regal, John Carney, and even J.B. Bobo. Obviously, it's all about coin magic, but there are lots of impromptu effects that would work great in restaurants.

A *really* great video. For those who may not have heard of it, do yourself a favour and pick up a copy straight away!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24202 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My all time favorite impromptu effect is one that can be done just about anywhere, including a restaurant. You can borrow all the props. You borrow a quarter, a nickel and a dime. Write "Why the Dime?" on the back of a business card (without allowing the spectators to see what you have written). Then place the card on the table with the writing side down.

Place the three coins on top of the card. I think most of you know how this finishes up. It may seem to be a silly trick, but it really amazes the spectators.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Impromptu cups and balls (Chinese restaurant tea cups are best).

Paper balls over head.

Vanishing salt shaker. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Someone mentioned "Ashes Thru Hand" as a dinner table effect.

I would use caution with that. Some people would find it distasteful to have cigarette ashes smeared on their hands in conjunction with eating. Perhaps if all were smokers it would be all right, but even then I'd be careful. Messy stuff is better saved for another time, IMHO.

My fave at the table is Zombie Dinner Roll.
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
I like to do PK Silverware for many reasons! Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
1) Torn and restored napkin

2) Ashes thru the hand
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Smashed - broken and restored wine glass, knife through napkin, bottle through table, Perrier with a twist, himber wallet (no money to pay check) various TT routines and so forth.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
Greg Wilson has an effect on his "On The Spot" video using crumpled napkins as sponge balls, he calls it sponge napkins. I prefer Jay Sankey's Stirring Silver, where a borrowed ring penetrates a borrowed spoon twice under seemingly impossible conditions.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1479 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Sankey has a great dinner table routine hidden in a set of notes. You cover a glass with a napkin and then you vanish a quarter. You crumple your hands over the napkin covered glass and you HEAR the coin arrive in the glass. You do it a second time with a second quarter. Then you smash the glass through the table.
marlynn
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of marlynn
When I feel the need for a peek, I order my coffee black.
WVMAGIC
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of WVMAGIC
I am working on R. Paul Wilson's Coin Thru Table in his book 13. It can be done standing.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2949 Posts

Profile of niva
Quote:
On 2002-10-21 11:03, Decoy wrote:
Kraminator,
If you like the ashes through hand trick, you should definitely try performing it with lipstick. I think it's Gregory Wilson that has a handling for it, if it really matters. Thanks for the response,
__________-=DecOY=-____________ Smile

Or you should try Hustler by Jay Sankey. It uses pool chalk.
Yours,

Ivan
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
Let's see...
Eating a knife
Some of the PK Silverware stuff
Dan Harlen's Starcle
I always have my loops with me.

Dan's Impromptu 3 is a great effect with an invisible cow. Smile Have not done it yet, maybe tonight.
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
768 Posts

Profile of London
My favorite impromtu effect is always a center tear reading. I love a good center tear. Smile
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Favorite Impromptu Restaurant effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL