We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Fire! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
So I've just been playing with a new chickpan and the instructions recommend using lighter fluid for a longer lasting flame. But obviously, this makes the pan very, very HOT!

Doesn't this bake livestock!!!

Sure flash paper would be safer?!?!
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Do not leave it on fire for too long, lol. This is really why I prefer to use flash paper.

It is a bit safer than the lighter fluid. Safe for you and your livestock!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2005-05-30 23:36, eddiekap wrote:
Do not leave it on fire for too long, lol.

I tried this but even when I leave my rabbit on fire for just a couple of seconds she REALLY doesn't like it!

seriously (and more tastefully) If your only going to leave it alit for a couple of seconds then flash paper is really the way to go!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4891 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I think it depends on how long you leave the animal in the pan before production. The fire will of course make the pan itself hot if it burns long enough but the cover has to stay in place for awhile to heat that portion up.

I cover the pan and immediately produce the animal. I take him out of the pan right away. If you cover the pan and let it sit while you do some business, then yes, the heat transference will occur.

I don't use the chick pan but do use a dove pan which is the same effect and have never had a problem with it.
Where the magic begins
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
I personally use flash paper myself for the same reasons.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5396 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
It's already been said - don’t use lighter fluid. Use flash paper. The idea is for the pan to “accidentally” catch fire and you put the lid on to extinguish it. A sudden flash of flame is much more effective and startling than a continuous open flame.

In my old routine (back in the day I used a dove pan), I had a folding, backpacker, camp stove (one burner thing). It gave logic to the pan. I would look as if I was fiddling with the gas bottle valve (a plastic bottle with a valve glued on) as I held the lit match. Of course not paying attention I would accidentally catch the contents of the pan on fire (flash sheets) and have to put the fire out with the lid. The routine had a kind of logic (more so than lighting the contents of a cooking pan on fire directly).

I never liked using lighter fluid for a number of safety reasons including injuring the livestock and tipping the pan over and spilling it just to name a couple.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hi Nick,

I can't use any fire in my act now because of "the accident!" Just kidding, no accident, it is just that my liability insurance is void if I use fire.

However, when I was allowed to use it and I did the dove pan with it, I used some coloured smoke powder wrapped in a small flashpaper ball. There would be an initial ball of flame followed by billowing red smoke that I could pass my hand through or whatever. I then put the lid on and produced the dove and there was little or no heat transferred to the critter.

All the best,

Rob
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4891 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I personally don't do the routine as an "accident" so useing the lighter fluid works for me. Again, I don't leave the animal in the pan long enough to endanger it. I don't use it for close up kids shows at all. In those cases, flash paper is much better.
Where the magic begins
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
My trigger start fire pan has a thick cotton wick and it lights when I'm ready. The pan doesn't have time to over heat.
POOF!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Fire! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL