The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Suspension question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
I have a show coming in October I am looking for a suspension that can be done kind surround. I was thinking a chair suspension but I am not sure. I guess I should explain it out side stage that is mad out of stone. The seats are on a hill but going up at a slant. The back of the theater is open. I think I might put a back drop up. Could anyone help me.
Thanks
Mike
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
The sirs! Who from you has the plans anyone SUSPENSION (except for chair suspension)? Write to me please PM. I have questions.
Thank!
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The only suspensions that can be done surrounded are the chair suspension and a list of pole type suspensions such as Neon Pole Suspension, Broom Suspension, Basketball Suspension, etc.

The super-x type require the body to conceal the effect and obviously movement as well as angles are limited.

Another suspension not talked about a lot is the See-Saw suspansion which is in Chris Carey's "Do the Things as You Do" booklet. Sides are the problem here.

The 3-in-1 Levitation is also a suspension if one chooses it to be, however it does require a backdrop and plans are available for this combination effect.
Dennis Michael
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
So where can I find some of these effects. I might invest in the 3in1 sooner or later but not just yet. I do have to say from what I see it a wonderful effect. I would like to know where to get a broom suspension or neon pole suspension.
mike
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
A sword suspension could be done surrounded. However, for ease of use and setup a chair suspension might be more suitable.
POOF!
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Ok know here the question who make the best but where I am not going to spend a fortune.

Harbin Chair Suspension is this a good chair suspension. I found it at Hank Lee's Magic Factory.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I believe the Blaney Ladder Suspension -- when properly done -- can be surrounded.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
I wish I could afford that but I can;t.
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Quote:
On 2005-06-03 14:28, chmara wrote:
I believe the Blaney Ladder Suspension -- when properly done -- can be surrounded.

According to Walter Blaney's literature the ladder suspension cannot be done surrounded.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
Quote:
On 2005-06-03 14:53, Tony S wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-06-03 14:28, chmara wrote:

According to Walter Blaney's literature the ladder suspension cannot be done surrounded.

It is possible if correctly to arrange 2-3 assistants.
Alex Krey
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
For ease of use, surroundability, practicality, the Chair Suspension is what I would recommend. Price wise, it's a good investment for an illusion that stiull baffles an audience. Don't try to over-weight it with an adult. A small child makes it more believable and creates a great effect. Second recommendation would be baying the 3-in-1 Suspension plans from Den Dowhy. It's another great effect for the money. Let us all know what you finally decide to do.
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
I can recommend SUSPENSION with navigation in the right and in left.
Look:
http://www.alexkrey.pbe.ru/images/Floating%20illusion.jpg
Alex Krey
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Alex
Is that one that can;t be done surround.
mike

If your would like to see what the theater looks like I will e-mail it to u. then you can let me know what you think.
mike

What about the asrah can that be done surround.
mike
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
It can not be executed surrounded.
Directly and on corners of 45 degrees.
I use it only for TV or the big stages.
Alex Krey
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Mark Wilson's video on levitations will show you how to do a SuperX style surrounded.
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Ricker
oh ok sounds good to me is it hard to make.
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
It's called a robe.. get the video, you'll see
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

A suspension can be made if you know how to weld and can get the appropriate steel tubing. Mark Wilson shows the Super-X but does not tell you the measurements. You should be able to build it from what is explained.

I built a super-x using steel piping with threaded ends (Home Depot), and at the turns I used 45 degree elbows. It looked home made and at first it didn't work until I welded the elbows so they would move when weight was put on them. The base was a large letter 'E' with a flange welded on it. Visualize a large letter "E" on the floor with a flange at the intersection of the center of the '>E' a steel pipe coming up to a 45 degree elbow, another short steel pipe to the left with another elbow then the last steel pipe forward to a t-coupling. It cannot extend beyond the legs of the base 'E' or it will tilt forward with weight. (A mistake I made the first try).

Click HERE for a crude drawing.
Dennis Michael
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Dennis,

Your "Pipe Suspension" is very interesting. I tried to build a similar superX, but it just wasn't strong enough. (I didn't weld the elbows).
I finally had one built by a local blacksmith and am in the testing phase.
Was your "Pipe suspension" able to hold much weight?
Thanks!

Andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Andrew, if your'e talking kids yes, adults no, those pipes and threaded joints are not designed to hold lots of weight. Welding helps. Also, if the flange is cast Iron, then it is subject to crack and break. Cast-Iron does not weld well, but will weld and hold weight. The base was heavy flat steel, but could just as well been made out of pipe.

Looking to save money, a junk-yard might be the place to go.

Know a machinist, well his input is valuable. As I work with my 3-in-1, he has offered some great ideas to make it ligher, and stronger.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Suspension question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL