The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Abyss (ungimmicked coin in ungimmicked bottle) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Michael, What problem did you have with abyss? What are some things you don't like about it. I was very pleased with it myself. Easy quick set up, and a great gift for a spectator.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Hi
I am back. I was really busy these days.
I am glad to see that I am not the first one to not recommend this. The price is right. But the method isn't. I don't want to reveal too much here. I like Enigma better than Abyss on other note.
-Harish
To believe is Magic.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Quote:
On 2005-06-22 11:12, jaybaby wrote:
That link doesn't seem to work, but you can catch the demo at:
http://www.themagicwarehouse.com

look under the hot items section...

Thanks for the link jay.

The effect looks good in that demo clip. Cant understand why some guys have mixed feelings about this item.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Well honestly I am upset to read negative reviews, I mean I just ordered mine yester day because I couldn't really find anyone bashing the effect and now today after its bought the negatives come out.
Wells34
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Wells34
I recently got this. I'll give more of a review later. Personally I think its great. Especially because I know I'm going to be doing this. Don't get too upset paisa23. Every magician has their own likes and dislikes and own requirements for their magic. For some performers the effect is the most important thing i.e Tommy Wonders For some, little or no set-up is their requirement i.e. David Williamson Others want the trick as easy as possible to concentrate on presentation i.e. Bill Goldman
Abyss delivers what is says it will do. There is prep work needed so if you wanted to just grab a coin and bottle and perform you are out of luck. And as someone has already said, it is as easy or hard as you want to make it. There is more then one way to perform this which makes it adaptable to just about anyone. For 12 bucks it does what no other coin in bottle can do making it something that many magicians will like. I'd be surprised if those who get this never perform it or a version of it at some point.
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
I also just got the effect and was pleasntly surprised.
Was not expecting a whole lot as I have bought a ton of stuff from rave reviews and was not for me.
This is very good and something I will use..
very cleaver and NOT a whole lot of set up work.
I like it!!
Don
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Well that is reassuring I thank you, Can anyone PM me telling me a little bit more about the set up, I don't want secrets because I will be recieving my own, but just curious about the set-up and the limitations.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Here is my view on Abyss..but please note, it is a very personal one, looked at from a practical point of view..

It's a *trick* that impresses on the demo, but isn't IMHO prarctical at all to perform.
I love practical methods, so I won't do it..
The classical method is still the best and most powerfull one, the only diff. to the specs is that using the classical method, you can't hand out the bottle as a souvenier, and to do so, is a VERY strong point.
OTOH, you are limmited to a certain kind of bottle to do Abyss, that way..

Here is what I dislike.

*Abyss* looks great on a demo, but the *clean-up* after the coin has appeared in the bottle is a weak point, the bottle can't be handled out immediately to a spec before some *inside* clean-up is done, and that clean-up is a weak point, especially if there was cola/whatever fluid inside the bottle that not yet has dryed up, so I would call that solution not at all practical so I won't perform it, but I might think about versions not needing that inside *clean-up*..

That weak point is eliminated when using certain Canadian coins however.
Still, I don't consider it a practical solution..it's one of those *tricks of the trade* that sounds good and that even a demo can get to look good, as demo doesn't show the whole scenary to run through when performing IRL..
Just my own view on this.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Can you do Abyss while the spectator is holding the bottle, ala the classic f coin method ??

:kewl:
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-23 05:46, Mehtas wrote:
Can you do Abyss while the spectator is holding the bottle, ala the classic f coin method ??

:kewl:
NOPE!
Se:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4162934

Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

To aknowledge one thing re Abyss, I have to say, the enclosed *gimmick(s)* are magnifique...very nice and powerfull ones, can also be used for other things!

emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Thanks Werner. We need more reviews like yours on the Café. People on this board consistently overlook the practicality aspect which is really the most important aspect in my opinion.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
I just bought this today, so I should have it either Monday or Tuesday. I will post a thorough review of it when I receive it and work with it a little. It looks great in the demo, so I am looking forward to this one.

Later,
James
Dr Dark
View Profile
New user
North West UK
55 Posts

Profile of Dr Dark
I received this yesterday, and though it will not ft my close-up act its one of those special things that I will perform rarely at private bookings/parties just for the people that book me. The set up would be done before the gig and it would be performed at the end of the night. I always like to leave them a talking point and this would fit the bill where card to ceiling would be inappropriate.

regards, Doc.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-24 05:31, Dr Dark wrote:
The set up would be done before the gig and it would be performed at the end of the night. I always like to leave them a talking point and this would fit the bill where card to ceiling would be inappropriate.
That's the spirit..and there it fits..and one doesn't ruin their ceiling Smile

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've got it. For a certain type of gathering it is perfect. I knew what it was before I ordered it.

One thing I absolutely do not appreciate is the tendency I see on this forum for people to "review" tricks and props without any knowledge at all of what they are. It is unfair to dealers, unfair to inventors and unfair to potential purchasers of the item.

The last time I remember this happening was with Paul Kozak's Salt Pour. There were three pages of "reviews" before anyone who had purchased the prop and knew exactly what it was posted a review.

I would favor a new regulation on this forum that would prohibit reviews of pieces until they are actually in the hands of reviewers. It would save a whole lot of anguish and misleading rhetoric.

Then we could use the misleading rhetoric in more appropriate places, such as "Food for Thought."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Quote:
On 2005-06-24 18:15, Bill Palmer wrote:
One thing I absolutely do not appreciate is the tendency I see on this forum for people to "review" tricks and props without any knowledge at all of what they are. It is unfair to dealers, unfair to inventors and unfair to potential purchasers of the item.

Bill said it perfectly. Smile
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I agree with Bill entirely, in fact, that is why I rarely post here any more. Everyone has a "review" of all the new items before they even own one. Speculation is fun, maybe, but it does not serve the purpose of this forum, which is to review items. You cannot review an item if you have never seen it.

By the way, I own Abyss. It's okay, in my opinion. Nothing special, just okay. And, if you're giving the bottle as a souvenir to the lender, be careful of the wide variety of State U.S. quarters now. You may give a Pennsylvania quarter in a bottle to a guy who loaned you a Missouri quarter!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Then you do the old Pat Page line... "Not only did the card move up through the deck, but the five of clubs changed to the six of diamonds."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Abyss (ungimmicked coin in ungimmicked bottle) (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL