The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbits and summertime heat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
How do you rabbit production guys cope with this? Most of my summer shows are outside. I am considering adding a bunny production and thinking through all the contingencies. Thanks.

Mark
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Minimize your wait - bunny production happens at the top of the show - after that, sit him in the shade (no shade, no show)

If you have to wait a while, load him as late as possible - you may just have to keep him in his cage out where everyone can see him while you wait around (better than a hot car) - when I have a long stay, face painting first (etc.), he's an added attraction sitting there being cute.

Concerned that his open presence will be too great a clue to your program? If anybody asks "are you going to pull him out of your hat?" just don't answer - they're not paying nearly as much attention as you think..
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I have been doing balloon to dove for 6 years now and have a 45 minute show with my rabbit being the last trick and haven’t had any trouble so far. I do my dove pan first because the little guy must be cooking in there (no pun intended) because sometimes he comes out sweating from like stated above delayed show. So my dove sits in dove pan for 15 minutes and again so far no tragedies.
The only thing I do is make sure the box is in the shade. Again like stated above no shade no show. Don't want to chance it.
I also wait till the show is ready to begin before I load them and if they end up delaying me for too long I take them to my car and turn on the air. Rather buy a little gas then lose my beloved animals.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Great info. That helps a lot. Hope to hear from others... I am an experience rabbit keeper (years ago) but never used one in a show. I definitely don't want to put him at risk or undue discomfort.

Mark
Stevenleeaugust
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Stevenleeaugust
I suggest you get a thermometer. Place it where you put the animal and see how hot it gets. You may be surprised that even a few minutes in a shaded area with no air circulation can be unbearable.
I say don’t risk it.

Steve
RideorDie99
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of RideorDie99
My Rabbit "LOUIE THE BUNNY!" stays in his cage the whole show right until the finale, "Take apart vanish" done in a way as in a production. He's only in the box for 2 minutes TOPS! And then he's put back in his cage. He gets put back into the cage right after the trick and then taken out later for picture taking!
STOP DROP SHUT THEM DOWN AND OPEN UP SHOP
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I live in the Pacific NW, where it can get hot but is not typically that hot. Make sure that you do not keep the rabbit in the car while he waits. I have always found some place to put the bunny that was a pleasant temperature. The idea of the thermometer is not a bad idea. As others said, I load the bunny just before using him and then get him off stage.

quack
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Freeze a milk carton full of water or some other plastic bottle and put it in the rabbits carrying cage, put the rabbit into your load as late as possible before doing the trick, do not make it very long and do not keep rabbit away from cooler carrying cage very long.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I was just about to mention the frozen water bottle idea...just remembered that when we had rabbits years ago in outside hutches, whe would put frozen bottles/jugs of water (ice) in with the bunnies. They would lie next to them amd keep cool..also licking the condensation off them.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
I do my dove pan first because the little guy must be cooking in there (no pun intended) because sometimes he comes out sweating from like stated above delayed show.

Rabbits DO NOT SWEAT.
They have no sweat glands.

If you choose to keep your rabbit in heat that you would not be able to bear, and you think your rabbit is sweating, he may be dribbling from the mouth as he (or she) gets sicker.

Bob
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
When I used a rabbit in my show, he sat in the production box, restrained by a lightweight cloth bag, with his head peaking out. The production box door was open and a small battery-powered fan blew across the rabbit's ears. I was able to use the rabbit as the finale, on hot, humid days. I always produced the rabbit within a couple minutes of closing the top door of the box.

After the show, I spritzed the rabbit's ears with a mist of water, so the rabbit would stay cool while kids petted him.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I don't have a rabbit yet but if I do add one I don't want the hassle and I don't want the risk of exposing him/her to the outside weather. So for outside shows, I plan to not offer the bunny, but will suggest the rabbit in the hat puppet instead.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Quote:
On 2005-06-13 17:57, Alan Munro wrote:
When I used a rabbit in my show, he sat in the production box, restrained by a lightweight cloth bag, with his head peaking out. The production box door was open and a small battery-powered fan blew across the rabbit's ears. I was able to use the rabbit as the finale, on hot, humid days. I always produced the rabbit within a couple minutes of closing the top door of the box.

After the show, I spritzed the rabbit's ears with a mist of water, so the rabbit would stay cool while kids petted him.

Alan,
What an EXCELLENT idea...I don't think I would have ever thought of that. Especially, misting his ears with water...great thinking!

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbits and summertime heat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL