The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review of Jon Tremaine Videos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Douglas
View Profile
New user
El Paso, TX
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Douglas
I know these have been out a while, but have not seen any reviews of them. I have seen a few tidbits about the close up mental act tape but none of the others. If any one has all three, a candid review of them would be greatly appreciated.
Bill Douglas
View Profile
New user
El Paso, TX
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Douglas
Well, I have had this posted for twelve days and not one reply (only views). I guess I'll just buy them (LL pub "blowout sale") and post my own review.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Sorry Bill,
I have the mentalism video and sorry to say it is a real stinker. The only thing I liked was the card peek.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
Bill,
It's been a while since I viewed the tape but, unlike our commrade Xiqual, I found some stuff that could be very strong. The tape dosen't have much entertainment value but once that is taken into consideration, you'll find a workable impromptu OOTW, a Q&A presentation and some simple effects that would stun a lay audience.
I think it's certainly worth a "blow out" price.
Look forward to seeing what you think.
Ted (Leondo)
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
I had vol 1 & 2 and I simply loved them, especially at such a price. Smile
To believe is Magic.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I have all 3 and would be willing to sell them at a price far lower than l and l's. (20 includes shipping)

the mentalism is really good. his stutter is really bad. I had a difficult time watching the videos because of it. I am sure he is a fine fellow but it is really annoying to watch.

having said that, if still interested pm me.

oliver
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
I have these videos all 3 of them. First and foremost the quality sucks!! You can hear a radio in the background! geesh! Unlike James (HI James!), I found these tapes to be useful. Nothing really ground breaking here, but there is a lot of material on the tapes. The problem I had with the tapes, was the performance aspect. The first time I watched them, I was like "Geesh what crap!!" I even tried to sell these tapes--no takers (there is a thread some place in the Café about these tapes....)Anyway, during my recovery, I rewatched them and was like..Damm why did I not see that before? His presentation sucks, but if you watch it for the effect and then add your own patter, you may be surprised what you find of those cheap tapes!! Take a chance on them, you may surprise yourself.
T. Eugene
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of T. Eugene
Bad sound of video and my bad knowledge of the English – and I could not understand the name of a liquid in routine number 9 «Too Hot To Handle».

Can somebody send me PM and tell that a liquid is used in this routine.
Bill Douglas
View Profile
New user
El Paso, TX
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Douglas
I did get tapes 3 and 4, and have simply forgotten about posting a review. This is mainly because the production value and Mr. Tremaines presentation style left me a little flat. It may be my Zen nature but I can find positives in and learn from just about anything. These tapes were no exception. I would be a little upset if I paid top dollar for them ( but I got them from L&L s 10 dollar blow out sale). I liked a couple of the tricks ok and the difficulty level for everthing was fairly low. I gleaned a few ideas to simplify some other things that I already preform. For 20 bucks I have bought worse. Somewhat recommended, do not rush out. If you see these in a garage sale or an ebay clearance go ahead and pick them up.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
They are some the worst videos ever made.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
There's a 4th video? What's on it?
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-11-06 11:33, Jeremy L. wrote:
There's a 4th video? What's on it?

How to make a living in magic even though you can't perform or teach.
:rotf:

Bill Douglas
View Profile
New user
El Paso, TX
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Douglas
My mistake, only 3 videos. I meant to sat #2 and #3.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1826 Posts

Profile of David Numen
MagicChris, for your information, Tremaine is probably one of the most successful mental performers the UK has produced. I don't know him directly but was acquainted with someone who knew him and often told me that he'd seen Tremaine hold audiences spellbound for 30 minutes with nothing more than billets.

Maybe this doesn't translate well on the video - and there could be a myriad of reasons for that - however the main job of the video (and it was one of the first videos out there) was to teach and I think it does a good job and serves up some pretty decent effects.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
I hear people not liking Tremaine videos. I am with Bartlewizard here. I really enjoyed all 3 videos. What the heck, it was better than nothing!

MagicChris,
Worst videos? I beg to differ. Smile
To believe is Magic.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Those were very harsh words I used back in '95. Perhaps I should have just said that I didn't care for them or his performing style. After all, he's out there "doing it" for a living.

Chris

Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
450 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
Aww Chris,

don't go getting all soft on us now.

-Feral (who appreciates your candor, whether I agree or not)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Feral, thanks. Always like a good, spirited debate, but I think I should leave the harsh wise cracks out.

Thanks!!

Chris ( an old softy at heart;-)

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review of Jon Tremaine Videos (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL