The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I wept because I had no shoes... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I've been having a problem with my right thumb. Apparently, the tendon goes through a sheath and the tendon in my right thumb has swollen to where it won't travel properly. It doesn't hurt, unless I force it to bend, but it won't bend on its own.

Now I'm watching a documentary on Frank Frazetta. They're talking about his developing thyroid problems which were misdiagnosed as phsycosomatic until he almost died. After they got that straightened out, he developed a series of strokes, the last one of which left his right side paralized. With therapy, he managed to get himself pretty much back to normal, except his right hand has very little strength and tends to tremor unpredictably. So the man taught himself to paint with his LEFT hand!

And I'm kevtching about a thumb!!!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Overcoming handicaps is one of life's fun little games. I was just reading on J. LeBlanc's site where he says, "Life isn't what happens to you. Life is how you react to what happens to you."
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-06-07 00:48, Patrick Differ wrote:
Overcoming handicaps is one of life's fun little games. I was just reading on J. LeBlanc's site where he says, "Life isn't what happens to you. Life is how you react to what happens to you."

Tim Rice (Andrew Lloyd Webber's lyricist on "Superstar" and "Evita") had a similar statement; "Every now and then, life hits you on the back of the head with a stocking filled with wet porridge. How you handle that is up to you!"
Ain't life unkind?"
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Aldous Huxley, in his 1991 book, "Peak Learning : How to Create You Own Lifelong Education Program for Personal Enjoyment and Professional Success", has a very similar quote:

"Experience isn't what happens to you. It's what you make out of what happens to you."
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
I remember going to dice dealer school umpteen years ago. One of my brother students was missing a two fingers from his right hand. He lost them to a fireworks accident when he was a kid. He still had his thumb, index, and pinkie. His right hand looked like barbecued chicken. I was stupified. He turned out to be a decent enough dealer, 'though, and landed a job despite his tremendous handicap.
My grandfather and dad often reminded me, "You cry because you have no shoes, then you meet the man who's got no feet." Not the exact quote, I know. But the gist of was there. Every now and then, I have the need to share the same with my own kids. They're not happy about it when I tell them, but they do dig a little deeper within themselves to solve their own problems. I still do, too.
Pretty amazing what one remembers, eh Mandrake?
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Sincerely!
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I wept because I had no shoes... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL