The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Assistants (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
I plan on wearing black in my show (pants, shirt shoes, and trench coat.) And I'm looking for clothes for my assistant. I'm no clothing designer, but I thought if I'm wearing black, then I need a contrast, maybe a lighter color for my female assistant. What are your thoughts on this? I thought maybe a white dress? Anyone know where to find that stuff at? Thanks!
Beyond Impossible: www.freewebs.com/illoosionzmagic

"I close my eyes in order to see"
~Paul Gauguin
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
White might be nice. Of all colors, the best contrast against black is actually yellow. In this case, I'd propably select white as black and white are a stylished combination. Besides, white clothes make the wearer seem larger than she/he really is and this is an advantage in illusions (of course the position of the assistant is equally important).

As for the dresses...you could get a pattern and have a seamstress (or maybe your mom?) sew one for you. There's a lot of really nice patterns available and you can select from a HUGE variety of fabrics.
Sent from my Typewriter
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
If you're going for an all black trenchcoat look, that's a particular sort of dark image (a la Bill Hicks or The Matrix), so make sure your assistant's character compliments it (as well as your own of course!). It's no good dressing like a post-apocalyptic cowboy from hell to do hippity hop bunnies with a gameshow smile and a classic cheesy cabaret assistant in yellow spangles, unless you're deliberately trying to mix surreal images. Though in the case of the grim rider type character, an assistant with a red sequinned sleazy glam look could work, with her as the dark magi's floozy/groupie/whatever.

Black is a neutral colour so colour clashes aren't an issue, but it also means it needs to be done right in context. Get it right, it can look cool and evocative, get it wrong and you just look like a miserable git with no imagination. Try and break it up with a few touches of either colour (for example a red tie) or something shiny (sequins or jewelry - accessorise!). If you can sort out the look enough so you won't be upstaged by your assistant (which you will be if you get the all-black look wrong - why do you figure David Copperfield's male assistants wear all black to stand in the background?) and your assistant can wear any colour she looks her best in.
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
Actually, I wasn't going for a Matrix or a six shooter cowboy from hell look. I'm looking for a modern mysterious look for an illusion show. No, I am not a goth or satanic worshiper, and I do not want to incorporate that into my show by any means. And no, a sleazy, hoarish look would not be ok for my assistant. The real reason I have a trench coat is to hide gimmicks and doves inside the coat. HelenHeld, I belive your post was uncalled for and very rude. All I was looking for was yay or nay answer. Instead of going in that far, you could have just stated your opinion and been done. And thank you, mvmagic, your post was very helpful, as usual. Everyone, I'm sorry for the disruptive post, I'm very angry at the last post. Sorry once again.

:subtrunk:

~Paul Gauguin
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
I do apologise, I really had no intention of insulting or offending. A trench coat does have certain media connotations (a long coat doesn't, there are different styles). I guess it's just hard to know what you're going for without seeing it.

My comments were about the use of colour in general, which always depends on context and the characters of the people using them (in other words, no, I don't think a simple "yay" or "nay" would be sufficient, not without me knowing your act). As such, feel free to discard anything that isn't pertinent to your particular case. If you are already wearing black well and aren't in danger of being upstaged, that comment does not apply to you. If you are wearing black badly... well, if the cap fits wear it.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure how I managed to get you so upset.. did I offend some religious sensibilities with the implication of dark or sexual images? If so, I apologise again. I do not apologise however for posting my answer to a given question to the best of my ability; if you have strong reasons why I should, by all means continue this via PM.
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
No, I don't want to start an argument over something silly as this. No worries. And, I have nothing against you for posting your answer, or answering to the best of your ability. And, I had a show tonight and it looked great. I got several compliments on my coat and attire.

~Paul Gauguin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Assistants (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL