The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Vanish: Both Hands shown to be empty (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
Hi guys:

I am new to Coin Magic and I am interested in learning some coin vanish which could show both the hands empty...I know there are a number of versions in the market but I am not sure which one to learn.

Would appreciate if any of you could recommend some versions which:

a) Not too difficult for beginners (I am still learning classic palm)
b) Does not require gimmick

Kindly include the source if you could.

Thanks
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Your best bet is to buy books. If you don't have Bobo's Book, then you need to get it. It is a must have for any one serious about doing coin magic. In Bobo's book you will find several methods of vanishing and reproducing coins along with being able to do a complete vanish. Good luck, If you have any question feel free to PM me.
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
When you vanish a coin and show both hands empty is called a complete vanish. IF you just think about the most convenient place for the coin to be hidden, the trick is to get it there in the most magical way possible.

With classic palm you can do the spider vanish, but its just a gesture showing your hand empty instead of showing both your hands from and back. This is taughtin David Roth Coin magic, Bobo, and a few other places.

Another type of gesture is a wiped-clean. This is gesture moving your hands in a very convincing way to show your hands empty. Michael Ammar has 2 in his book, Kainoa Harbottle has one called Spread, and a few others. David Stone also has one on his Basic Coin magic vol. 1 where you show from and back while concealing the coin which is cool but alittle angly.
Lastly, you can hide the coin somewhere. Your sleeve, topit, misdirection to ditch in a pocket, and the back of your hand. Shoot Ogawa, Apollo(Cultural Exchange), and a few other people have work with that.

Hope this helps
Josh
Dredz
View Profile
Loyal user
La Famiglia! East Coast
257 Posts

Profile of Dredz
Start with the basics. J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic can be found in most magic shops. There are quite a few clean vanishes...After you read that mabey look into a dvd. Xtreme Koin Magic is the coin dvd I produced. YOu cah chedk it out on my site. http://www.JoeJesse.com/Videos/media/xkmtrailer.wmv

There are lots of other books out there but Bobo is one of the best as far as a beginner in coin magic is concerned...Later.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
In addition to what joe said I would also recommend Rubensteins videos on coin slights
this is IMO the very best teaching tool for coin slights..
vinny.
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Jimmy Buffaloe has a vanish in Bobos that allows the mage to show the front and the back of the hands free of coinage after the vanish, just before the reproduction without the use of sleeves or without palming.

Garrett Thomas and Kirk Kokinos both have variations of this vanish. Garretts variation can be found in his lecture notes and on his Any Questions DVD. Kirks variation on this effect, including the Angel Vanish? can be found on his Video BareHanded....

Both are worth your attention...

Eric Jones
Prestidigitator
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
From cuffs to pockets, servantes to other people's shoulders, there are lots of options. Keep reading. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The Messiah Vanish by Jay Sankey (Revolutionary Coin Magic video)is quite good. Kirk Kokinos has some similar vanishes but to do it with his technique your wrists have to hyperflex in a very unnatural looking pose.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Larry,

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the unnaturalness of the style of vanish we are discussing. While the demonstation that Kokinos performs gives the impression that the wrist has to bend out of the way to display open palms or back or the hand, that is simply the way Kirk does it. It is, in my opinion, aslightly overexaggerated handling. I've seen several other excellent performers utilize this form of concealment deceptively and quite naturally.

Of course, if the Barehanded video is the only point of reference you have on the vanish, I dig your opinion on it. While I love the video, I felt Kirks performance was a bit stiff and admittedly unnatural. However, I'm of the opinion that this video was a compilation of ideas for someone looking for a higher plateau of thinking when it comes to vanishing coinage. I challenge you to review the video again or watch a guy like Garrett Thomas or others who actually use the move to see how deceptive it can be.

If not, maybe we can agree to disagree.... Smile

The Messiah Vanish is another one of my favorite vanishes and is my second favorite Sanky Vanish. The Hypno-vanish? is my favorite. The Messiah vanish has a Slydini-esque feel to it.....

Thanks,

Eric Jones
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
Thanks Guys.

Is there any other places that Messiah Vanish can be learnt other than Sankey's Revolutionery coin Magic? eg. Bobo's book?

What are the advantages of Messiah Vanish? What would the spectator see?
Thanks
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
The basic vanish Sankey uses is not new. It is a variation of the vanish that can be found in Frank M. Chapman's "The Smart Coin", Bobo's pg. 83. Sankey only claims the way he retrieves the coin, not the vanish itself.

Steve Draun has a nice little handling that uses a similar concealment called a Perfect Coin Vanish. Click the name of the routine to view it. In my opinion it looks better, and the recovery is better than Sankey's version.

For those who want the work on Draun's routine it is in the April 2002 issue of MAGIC magazine in the Talk About Tricks section.
Click to visit:
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Roth's Expert Coin Magic book, is amazing. His Ultimate Coin Magic dvds also talks about that for which you are looking.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Personally, Messiah Vanish is the easiest and one of the most hard hitting coin vanishes for me. You can also find this effect in Jay's Greatest Hits in addition to his Rev. Coin Magic.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Eric,
Kirk's vanish is a variation of others that exist. I was referring to his handling of the vanish and not to any other performers. Personally, I avoid these types of vanishes (they tend to be angly) preferring my best retention vanish and either ditching the coin or using one of several acquitments which I explain in my new book.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I suggest that you learn a vanish that shows your hands "apparently" empty for a reproduction later. =) Study Bobo.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Zhuanan:

Once you develop a good vanish, you may want to consider a Coin Rattle as a kicker just before the hands are shown open.

But only AFTER you have a good vanish or two. The Porper Coin Rattle has completely changed the way I finish C/S/B and HH, to name just two.

Bob
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Although it may seem quite simple, you want a vanish that you can rely on at all times.

I know now a couple of vanishes but I only use three in particular in my routines.These are the Goshman Toss Vanish, Classic Palm Vanish and Retention vanish. I use these three quite often because these are the 3 vanishes I could sell to the audience the most.

I suggest you do the same. Find one that fits your performance style and one that you are comfortable doing with.

:)
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
[I know now a couple of vanishes but I only use three in particular in my routines.These are the Goshman Toss Vanish, Classic Palm Vanish and Retention vanish. I use these three quite often because these are the 3 vanishes I could sell to the audience the most. ]

Would I be able to learn Goshman Toss Vanish, Classic Palm Vanish and Retention vanish from Bobo's Modern Coin Magic? Thanks
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Z, these vanishes were not invented at the same time. There are no shortcuts. If you want to learn the Goshman vanish, you will probably need to see Al Goshman do it. There is a tape he made long ago that will help there. The Classic Palm vanish is not such an easy thing. I remember Al Looey did the thing brilliantly. The BASICS are in Bobo's book. The Retention pass can be found in Bobo's under the title "A Coin Vanish", not to be confused with the Crawford handling that preceeded it.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
A Coin Vanish--Dai Vernon's name always seems to pop up everywhere.He truly was the master.
Andre
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Vanish: Both Hands shown to be empty (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL