We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cylinder and Coins prop » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicforu
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of magicforu
Where can I buy good quality Cylinder and Coins prop ? I heard Cylinder made by Mr. Thomas Wayne is the best. Anyone know Mr. Wayne's web site. Thanks
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Thomas is a Café member. You can use the search function to find his profile or one of his posts and backtrack from there. A PM to him would likely get the process started.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
You can read a review of his props by clicking HERE
Click to visit:
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Do you want good quality or great quality? Thomas makes an excellent prop. For a little less money you get a very nice prop from Frank Starsinic, also here on the Café. For much more money, you get the Cadellac from Joe Porper and R. Paul Wilson. Or maybe Thomas' is the Cadillac and and Joe's is the Mercedes. Either way, lots to choose from.

Kirk
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Kirk, if economy or authenticity were of interest, folks would use the old cardboard props as per the original. If folks want something NICE, get something nice. The guy asked for Thomas Wayne. Open options and no comment from me.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
I support and love nice looking props and will always go for them.
But, mind you, it's NOT the prop that does the magic, it's YOU..

I actually do use a bad looking and silly cardboard-container to transport some of my favourite little *routines*, and I even, when working entirely impromptu, without a jacket, just pull it out of wherever I have stored it and I never had any bad thoughts re this..but in this case it's only a *place* to store a *piece of magic* safely during transport and just to be ready anytime..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
2002 coinguy
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of 2002 coinguy
I have bought the magnetic Ramsay stacks from Todd Lassen . Todd highly recommended cylinder made by Frank Starsinic.On Todd's site have a direct link to Frank. I found both props are great.
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
A friend of mine has Frank Starsinic cylinder. I have a Thomas Wayne cylinder. I won't down Franks as it will do the job and does have end caps, but the Thomas Wayne cylinder is far superior IMHO.

Adam
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12354 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2005-06-10 13:34, KirkG wrote:
Do you want good quality or great quality? Thomas makes an excellent prop. For a little less money you get a very nice prop from Frank Starsinic, also here on the Café. For much more money, you get the Cadellac from Joe Porper and R. Paul Wilson. Or maybe Thomas' is the Cadellac and and Joe's is the Mercedes. Either way, lots to choose from.

Kirk

It depends on the way with which you choose to perform the routine. The props from Joe and Wilson are a little different that the original stuff. SO, they are not neccessarily BETTER they are more different.

John

Posted: Jun 10, 2005 8:59pm
-------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2005-06-10 15:30, nostrings wrote:
A friend of mine has Frank Starsinic cylinder. I have a Thomas Wayne cylinder. I won't down Franks as it will do the job and does have end caps, but the Thomas Wayne cylinder is far superior IMHO.

Adam

Seriously, how much can the cylinder matter? I had mine made from a local leather shop and it's perfectly fine for me so I am sure Franks is perfectly fine for anyone.

What could be better about one than the other the leather perhaps. Gold stiching?

Considering you could use a toilet paper roll...

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1023 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
I bought my cylinder and stack from Thomas Wayne a long time ago. It's top quality stuff. As arleady hinted, even a toilet paper roll can serve as a cylinder, but it's all comes down to personal taste and a love for gorgeous works of art that double as magical apparatus.
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
Quote:

Seriously, how much can the cylinder matter? I had mine made from a local leather shop and it's perfectly fine for me so I am sure Franks is perfectly fine for anyone.

What could be better about one than the other the leather perhaps. Gold stiching?

Considering you could use a toilet paper roll...

John

As far as the work needed as I said in my post both will do the job. I suppose its the differance between buying a leather coat at say Wal-mart ( which I have done) or from a store in the mall ( which I have done) the one from Wal-mart looks fine and will do the job the one from the mall doesn't do anything more but may look a little nicer. Of course I live in the country where some people would prefer the Wal-mart jacket over the mall bought jacket and that's fine. The orginal post was asking about Thomas Wayne's cylinder and from what I've seen which is only the two he's is the best.

Adam
2003 user
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of 2003 user
I have stack made by Todd. Todd recommend cylinder make by Frank. I go to Frank's site to have a look. I found they are looking good and will do the work as Todd said. My old one need to replace I will go with Frank.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

I can't believe this discussion over apples versus oranges versus grapes.

Thomas has FINE props in wood, leather and metal.

Frank offers good workable and quality props.

Ramsay used CHEAP props as a kind of in-joke about being a stingy Scot.
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
134 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
Another source for wonderful cylinders is Bill Gusius in Arizona. A recent Genii contained a current address for him in Richard Kaufman's Genii Speaks column if I recall correctly. My sense is that price-wise he is somewhere in between Thomas Wayne (another FABULOUS craftsman) and Frank, whose work I have not seen and so can't comment on.

Bill can make a cylinder in either a shorter height or the taller style that John Carney favors.

- Jeffrey Cowan
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1140 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Mr. Cowan should know - he does one of THE sweetest handling's of the Ramsay Cylinder & Coins performed in the traditional way (4 silver dollars, no ]'s)
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2005-06-14 11:34, doug brewer wrote:
Mr. Cowan should know - he does one of THE sweetest handling's of the Ramsay Cylinder & Coins performed in the traditional way (4 silver dollars, no ]'s)

Smile to Mr. Cowan for your decision to use the 4 silver dollar method.
I'd like to see it some time.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
134 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
To follow up on my prior post:

I spoke today with Bill Gusius, who advised that he is open to doing as much custom work for magicians as his time and health permit. Bill is not a computer guy, and asks that people interested in having him make a leather prop (Ramsay cylinder, cone for Leipzig routine, etc.) should telephone him in Arizona at (480) 218-0376.

My understanding is that Bill is an early to rise, early to bed person, so I'd recommend against late night calls. . .
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1317 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Jeff.

How much does his cylinder cost?

Daniel
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5427 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Thomas Wayne makes some beautiful props...expensive and beautiful...if you are looking for a pro prop you WONT go wrong with his stuff

Also, Frank Starsini and associates, make some great stuff and they are very workable props.

I'm a street worker so I know I'm going to drop stuff and it will get scratched so for me I wouldn't buy Thomas's stuff...his stuff is really artful .....if you work indoors then Thomas's would be fantastic...

For me just durable equipment is what I want...

Have you seen my "new" servante....fantastic.

Thanks Frank

koz
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
I have seen and handled the Lassen Magnetic Stack and I loved it. The quality is fantasic( As is everything that Todd makes). I'm sure that others will rip off this innovation (the Magnetic Stack), But Todd was the first I believe to improve this classic. I'm sure that John Ramsey would love Todd's Stack!
It's Fun to be Fooled
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cylinder and Coins prop » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL