The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cylinder and Coins prop » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2005-06-18 21:12, tedb wrote:
Thomas Wayne makes some beautiful props...expensive and beautiful...if you are looking for a pro prop you WONT go wrong with his stuff

[...]
I'm a street worker so I know I'm going to drop stuff and it will get scratched so for me I wouldn't buy Thomas's stuff...his stuff is really artful .....if you work indoors then Thomas's would be fantastic...

For me just durable equipment is what I want...
[...]

tedb,
If it's really durability you're worried about then you can't do better than my newest cylinder. The current version uses a composite core (space-age material) between the inner and outer layers of leather that is virtually indestructible. In fact, I will be happy at any time to put even money - up to say $500? - comparing my cylinder against any other maker's currently on the market.

What we'll do, Ted, is we'll take one of Frank's cylinders and one of mine - you can choose any one from my table at any convention I'm at, and we'll put them side by side on the floor and then stomp on them. Stomp 'em dead flat. I guarantee - and put my money where my mouth is - that my cylinder will spring back, ready for immediate use, in far better condition than Frank's. Wanna take that bet, Ted?

As for the cost of my props, you get what you pay for. I'll happily put my workmanship up against ANYTHING Frank Starsinic retails. Do let me know if you want to bet on that.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thomas makes excellent props, but many of the famous "makers" never made props on their own. For example, Danny Dew did not spin his own cups. These were done for him by three different companies. However, he was very careful about the polishing, the plating and the other steps that go into finishing the cups.

I have gotten a lot of leather work done through Frank. I've never had a problem with any of it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5418 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I just don't understand you Thomas, I told the truth....your props are great! what more can I say...I'm not going to say buy only Thomas Wayne's stuff because Franks stuff is bad!....your stuff is fricking beautiful, just like I said....Thomas, you make great stuff. I said nothing but great things about your work and will continue...all I said was, I would buy the less expensive version of the props because I would likely damage them in the environment that I work in...your wands can't be any nicer....awesome, but I would drop them...all the time so they would get beat up....Frank's wands are also nice but less money, they aren't as nice but less money so if I scratched them it wouldn't hurt my feelings as much.

I wish you luck with all that you do.

koz henry tedbg
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Right, well, this thread is good, it gives you an idea of what sort of quality props you are going to get, and what sort of people you are buying from.

In a thread were people are praising and criticising both sides, I'm impressed by the restraint and lack of defensive rhetoric by at least one of the crafstmen involved!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have no complaint about any of the Thomas Wayne products that I own. They are very well made. I seriously doubt that I will ever use my silver/ivory/abalone/ebony wand in a street performance. I would certainly drop it, and then I would be very ticked at myself. But that wand is beautiful and is worth every penny that Thomas charged for it. Likewise, I would probably not use the ebony and ivory drama masks wand I got from him in a street performance, for precisely the same reason. I also wouldn't use my gold or silver Sherwoods in that context. Props like that deserve better treatment than what we give them on the street. They need a carpet to land on, for example. On the street, I would use one of Tom Frank's ironwood wands or one of Eric Evans' bois d'arc wands. They are made for the purpose.

Thomas makes some of the best props in the business. And pro's can't afford cheap props. But there are great alternatives, and I think Frank's cylinder is a great alternative for someone who is a street performer. I have a couple of Presley Guitar's coin cylinders. I would never use them on the street. Too valuable -- too risky.

But something that everyone needs to consider is this: no propmaker ever increased his sales or his popularity by knocking another propmaker's products in a public forum. It's one thing for a customer to give a review. Chances are, it will be unbiased. If anything, it might even be lenient, especially if the reviewer has a certain amount of knowledge of what goes into making a prop.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5418 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Lol.....right on bill

isn't that what I said?

koz
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I like using a rolled up dollar bill.

That's it, no "buy this guy's stuff because...", or "don't buy that guy's stuff because..." Just a rolled up dollar.

Simple, functional, practical, easily replaceable, and inexpensive.

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5418 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
See! genius.....

look it, great looking props are wonderful...but I want a prop that if I drop it I wont feel bad...i would cry if I dropped waynes prop...and I'm a grown man and I would look stupid in front of all of those people

koz
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is it possible to get glass wands make like ruperts pearls so you can bang then but if you hit the tip straight on they will shatter?

Anyone considered doing the trick with a mirror in the cylinder to manage the appearance/vanish using an almost transparent clinder?

How about a laytex (soft) gem for the marker in the trick?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I personally prefer..

A cylinder. 4 coins. A wand. A cork.
No more, no less ... more or less.

There's something quite satisfying (for me) about
doing it this way. I'm not saying it's the most magical,
nor the most difficult, nor anything else.

I've thought about alterations but in the end,
I just like doing it that particular way.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Frank, It usually helps to have a coin stack and extra cork to go along with that list...
Click to visit:
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's okay Dan, some of use have had non-gaffed versions of the trick in print since... well long ago. Smile I suggest the wine glass inverted with a silk hankerchief covering to make a nice pedastal too.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-20 22:50, Dan Watkins wrote:
Framk, It usually helps to have a coin stack and extra cork to go along with that list...

Dan, It sounds like you still do it the old fashioned way. Smile
Actually I was just trying to avoid exposur*, as per the Café rules.

The keen observer will notice I did hint that there was something missing on the inventory list, hence, the
"... more or less"
comment.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I know Frank, I was just poking fun.

Jon, I have seen ungimmicked versions myself. I haven't seen Wesley James' version, but I hear his is ungimmicked as well.
Click to visit:
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5418 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I din't question the durability...i said I would not want to have something that beautiful get scratched on the streets of new orleans or chicgo or where ever...

koz
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
I went back and reread tedb's post. I don't see any implication that Thomas Wayne's props aren't durable. It sounds to me like all he meant was:

1. He work in an environment where his props will likely become damaged.
2. That being the case, he'd rather use a prop that he won't feel bad about damaging.
3. He would feel bad about damaging a beautiful, expensive prop, like the ones Thomas Wayne makes.
4. Given these facts, his only concern is durability and it's not worth it to him to pay additional money for Thomas Wayne's level of beauty/craftsmanship
5. For people who do work in environments less rough on props, he would unhesitatingly recommend Thomas Wayne's stuff.

That's "***ing with faint praise"? Because it sounds to me like a thoughtful and glowing review from someone who could just have easily said "I don't think Tom's stuff is worth buying" and left it at that. It doesn't in any way call the durability of Tom's stuff into question, it just says that they aren't right for him. If John Ramsay himself had said "Thomas Wayne makes a beautiful cylinder, no one could go wrong buying it, but it doesn't work for me because my patter is built around using this cardboard cylinder" would that also be "left-handed"?
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Did I mention that I use a dollar bill? Oh yes, I see that I did Smile

I'm laughing quietly as I infer one or two things from the various implications in this thread... Did I use those words correctly in that sentence?

BTW Koz, the dollar bill idea is a product of pure genius, but unfortunately not mine. Smile

I'm not sure who gets the nod for that one.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

A dollar bill was used by Vernon, as described in the Art Of Close-Up Magic.
Don't know if he came up with it first but a routine is there as well.
I wouldn't worry about a dollar bill getting scratched but it might blow away
if used outdoors.

My cylinders are made in california from special cows which are fed special grains and all kept penned on the north-north-west side of the hill (for obvious reasons) and the end result is what widely known in the cylinder business as... well,
the finest "corinthian cylinder leather" available.

Each cylinder is polished with "Polyraz-ma-taz" with special polishing rags from the far east. The best available.
They are then spit-shined by a group of discalced carmelite nuns in new jersey, then shipped back to the united states for quality control before they are given the cylinder seal of approval.

The center of the cylinder is then infused with special gases for that oh so wonderful touch. And though it might be exposure I'll let you in on the secret... There's nitrogen at about 78%. Oxygen, 21%, and other gasses at 1%. Among the others are carbon dioxide, about 0.03%, noble gases, about 0.9% and varying amounts of water vapour depending on the weather. You heard right. Noble Gasses. For when you perofrm for kings and queens. I spare no expense!

Yes, you got it!!! There's AIR in the middle of each and every one.

And now I suggest we all go to Kozmo's house for a keg party.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5418 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Lol FRANK!!!!!!!

Paul Sherman, you hit it right on the nose. I still recommend his products....

koz
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I have the Ramsay write up of this trick but have never seen it performed by anyone. Does anyone know of an online video where I can see it performed?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cylinder and Coins prop » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL