The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Would it make a noise? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
FLIM-FLAM
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of FLIM-FLAM
If a tree fell over and hit the ground, and no one was present. Would it still make a noise? If yes, how would you know?
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
The short answer is no.
Since sound is made up of two things.

1) Disturbing the molecules in the medium (air, water, matter) therefore causing vibrations of one or more frequencies.

2) an instrument to perceive and analyze the vibrations (an ear linked to a working brain, a microphone hooked up to a working recording device for later analysis etc...)

So I guess the proper answer to your question would be yes there is sound if someone is there to perceive it and no there is no sound if nothing is there to perceive it but the disturbed molecules are there nonetheless.

My question to you Flim-Flam is this.
You know the sound of two hands clapping. What is the sound of one hand clapping?
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Oh blimey, these old chestnuts again..

Tree falling over and making a noise; indeed it does. You cannot hear it, because trees communicate in long, drawn out frequencies, but the sound is, "oh, nooooooooo!". Or possibly "Whee!", depending upon the attitude of the tree in question.

Sound of one hand clapping; by holding one hand upright and snapping my fingers down across my palm in Rolf Harris stylee, it appears the sound of one hand clapping is a sort of "flp flp" sound. Go ahead and try it.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Realist: "Yes, because the physical effect creates vibrations that contitute a sound, even if there is no receiver to validate it."

Idealist: "No, because a sound must have a receiver to properly constitute the definition of a sound."

Pragmatist: "Who cares?"

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Other imponderables:

What color is a chameleon on a mirror?

If words could speak, what would they say?

Does the noise in my head bother you?

If there were no rhetorical questions, what would we do with our hypothetical answers?

What if this weren't a rhetorical question?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
From Doug Brewer:

If a husband says something in the forest and nobody hears him, is he still wrong?

;)
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
If a trees falls in the forest, and hits a mime, does he make a sound?
AVirgaA
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of AVirgaA
I remember learning about this in psychology class. Interesting yet somewhat enigmatic. I would say that no, it did not make a noise. Why? Well, thanks for asking. Noise is something that is heard and if some being, some creature such as a chipmunk was present, then yes it would be considered a noise. But as stated "if no one was there to hear it" well then it wouldn't be considered a noise then. What is a noise you ask? A noise from dictionary.com states "A disturbance, especially a random and persistent disturbance, that obscures or reduces the clarity of a signal." Interesting how it identifies it as a disturbance, one that if heard by some being, some creature, could create a disturbance. Yet no being is present within that environment to hear that tree that...

Wait a minute, why am I going crazy about a noise? I'll leave you with this then...

"If a deaf person went to court, would they call it hearing?"

lol

Andrew Virga
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
How do you know if you are out of invisible ink?
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
If a mime falls in the forest, does anyone care?
Sent from my Typewriter
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-06-11 00:46, FLIM-FLAM wrote:
If a tree fell over and hit the ground, and no one was present. Would it still make a noise? If yes, how would you know?

Just stick a tape recorder in the forest and wait for a tree to fall Smile
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Btw, some more:

When an atheist swears on a Bible before they testify in court do they have to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth since they don't believe in God?

Do Jewish vampires avoid crosses or Stars of David?

Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet soup?

If you don't pay your exorcist, do you get repossessed?

http://www.crazythoughts.com
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
All trees have at least one lifeform on them that can hear, thus all trees make a noise when falling.

The fact that you cannot hear a butterfly flap its wings in china does not rule out a hurricane.

Would it still make a noise? If yes, how would you know?
With very sensitive equipment

If a tree were too fall in space then there would be no noise.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2005-06-13 12:19, scott b. wrote:

When an atheist swears on a Bible before they testify in court do they have to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth since they don't believe in God?

Sorry to spoil your imponderable fun, but I can actually answer this one from experience. If you're in a US courtroom that still practices swearing on the Bible, you simply notify the court ahead of time that you're an atheist. When it comes time for you to take the stand, you are sworn in by simply raising your right hand and swearing to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth under penalty of perjury.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-06-13 22:08, Scott Cram wrote:
Quote:

Sorry to spoil your imponderable fun, but I can actually answer this one from experience. If you're in a US courtroom that still practices swearing on the Bible, you simply notify the court ahead of time that you're an atheist. When it comes time for you to take the stand, you are sworn in by simply raising your right hand and swearing to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth under penalty of perjury.

You learn something new everyday.
Thanks! Scott B.

Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
Btw, some more:

Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet soup?

If they've had Cheerios before, I'd think they get at least some of the effect.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Would it make a noise?
Yes! I mean, No! What was the question again?
What do you call a worrier that worries about worrying?
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
It really comes down to your definition of noise or sound. If you define sound or noise as what you perceive after sound waves are sent out from an object (falling tree) then no, it would not make sound. However if you define sound as the sound waves themselves (as I do) then yes, it does make a sound. Just because nobody is present does not mean the sound waves are not sent out. That would be like saying there was no shockwave from an asteroid impact on Earth simply because nothing was around to feel it. We however know this is not true from impact craters on the Earth. Smile

James
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6430 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
This is my own personal weird thing I found out that I wonder about... I actually use it in my book test routine.

"Do you know that in just about every library you got to that in the self-help section there's a book called Learn How To Read. Who is that book for? I mean, if you can read the title you don't need it and if you can't the rest isn't going to help."

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
FLIM-FLAM
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of FLIM-FLAM
I'm still trying to make one hand clap, LMAO!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Would it make a noise? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL