The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Would it make a noise? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Good one Greg.
I always had a similar thought about Dictionary's. How do you look up a word that you can't spell in the first place? Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6429 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Iven, I once wrote a long monologue about weird things such as this... back in my theater days when I wrote plays.
I also remember pondering how some pizza places have a small and a medium pizza but no large. How can you have that? You can have a small and a large, or a small and a regular, or a small, regular and large... but not a small and a medium! How are you judging that medium?
Also, did you know when one of the first VCRs came out the instructions were on the tape... how were you suppose to learn if you didn't even know how to play the tape!?
Did you ever wonder what the guys who were trying to invent the drawing board said when their first attempts failed?
As your are waiting to make a turn in your car and you see a long line of cars that first have to pass, did you ever think or say this as that last slow car comes and you know the line behind will probably catch up, "Why is the last guy always the slowest?" Well, if he wasn't then he would not be in last place.
At one point in my life I really didn't like Chinese food and I used to say something to the effect of "Did you ever notice when someone is eating Chinese food you can't tell whether they're putting it in their mouth or taking it out?"

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
You asked...

*If a tree fell over and hit the ground, and no one was present. Would it still make a noise? If yes, how would you know?*

Yes, it would make noise... How do I know?

I just do.

If you don't believe me, let's go to a forest and see a tree falling, it will make noise...

It still makes this noise if we were not there... On that, you just have to TRUST ME...

There's no way to prove this, as we're not there, or anything else for that matter...

So just TRUST ME... There is that noise a tree makes when it falls down, even if nothing's listening...

Trust me...

I know these things... Smile

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2005-06-17 07:40, irossall wrote:
I always had a similar thought about Dictionary's. How do you look up a word that you can't spell in the first place? Smile
Iven Smile

Watch Fitzwilly and see.

(Note, too, that a dictionary would tell you that the plural of "dictionary" is "dictionaries", not "dictionary's"; the latter being a singular possesive. Smile )
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Pakar's the Realist.

I'm the Pragmatist.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Sound needs an interupting perceptor to be heard (ear...mic whatever) otherwise it's not a sound it is something else. A tree needs a PERSON (HUMAN) to know a TREE fell...other wise it is not a TREE...only humans call them Trees. Maybe Parrots, but they don't know a tree from a scoop of bean dip. Is bean dip still bean dip if no one dips into it?
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Actually, Steve...

I'm Pakar, The Magician...

Smile
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I'm starting to agree with the people that say the tree makes no noise because there's no "receiver" of the noise. Even though the falling of the tree makes sound waves, there won't be sound until it's interpreted.

An analogy that helped me was that of a dog whistle. You know that the whistle produces sound waves because a dog can hear it. However, to a human, there is silence...no sound!

It's a really strange thing to think about.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27134 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Somehow the mental model the physical experience remain confounded here.

Imagine a forest on the moon. Have a tree fall in your model. What happened?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Doug is bringing back some scary memories.

Years ago a friend and I were tent camping in a remote area of a forest. It was a quiet, calm night and we were deeply engrossed in a game of Chess by flashlight.

Suddenly, out of the silence, there was a strange, very loud crash just outside of the tent then complete silence.
Scared the crap out of us. I could see in my friends eyes a thousand images of what the sound might have been.

The morning showed no disturbed earth, broken branches or footprints.

So if you're in the woods, in a tent and its dark, and you hear a sound...
It may just be the sound of a tree that was supposed to fall but never did..or something else.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
The rustling of the leaves and the breaking of the branches would create a sound as the tree falls. And also a loud thud would be heard when it hits the ground.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

"Actually, Steve...
I'm Pakar, The Magician..."

And if I never see you perform...do I know you're a magician?

I'm just being a snot.Smile Smile Smile

Steve
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yup Dr... You'd know...

How?

'Cause I told you so...

Now, I'M being a snot! Smile

Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-06-13 12:14, scott b. wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-06-11 00:46, FLIM-FLAM wrote:
If a tree fell over and hit the ground, and no one was present. Would it still make a noise? If yes, how would you know?

Just stick a tape recorder in the forest and wait for a tree to fall Smile

Not fair! A tape recorder still counts as a "receiver" so it changes the rules. If there's nothing there to receive the vibrations in the air that the falling tree will make, would it still be considered "sound?" (My physics teacher said 'no.')
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-06-13 22:09, scott b. wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-06-13 22:08, Scott Cram wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-06-13 12:19, scott b. wrote:

When an atheist swears on a Bible before they testify in court do they have to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth since they don't believe in God?

Sorry to spoil your imponderable fun, but I can actually answer this one from experience. If you're in a US courtroom that still practices swearing on the Bible, you simply notify the court ahead of time that you're an atheist. When it comes time for you to take the stand, you are sworn in by simply raising your right hand and swearing to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth under penalty of perjury.

You learn something new everyday.

Thee was a series of books called "The People's Almanac" filled with odd and strange bits of information. One of the articles delt with non-Christian oaths considered legally admisable in a court of law.

It's one of the first two books because I didn't get the third and I don't know if they kept making them after that.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

"Yup Dr... You'd know...
How?
'Cause I told you so..."

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.

Steve
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Definition of sound from dictionary.com:
"Vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, with frequencies in the approximate range of 20 to 20,000 hertz, capable of being detected by human organs of hearing."

vibratons caused ? yes
range between 20 and 20,000 hertz? yes
CAPABLE of being detected by humans? yes

it really depends in which way you define sound,

ollie
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It's not "..capable of being detected by human organs of hearing..." if your not within hearing range.
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
It only says it has to be capable of being heared, if I was within hearing range then I would hear it, which means its "capable of being detected by human organs of hearing.."

ollie
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
-"Yup Dr... You'd know...
How?
'Cause I told you so..."

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.-

Dear Doctor, THERE we ARE in agreement...

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Would it make a noise? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL