The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Idea needed for a Rocky Raccoon stunt (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

l2andall
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
44 Posts

Profile of l2andall
I use rocky as a running gag of sorts throughout my shows. I use him in a way that suggests he is the one in chrage, constantly reminding me of what I need to do, who I need to choose from the audience, and so forth. In my show, I also use PB & J, and I love making the sandwhich, but I don't want to pass it out due to safety issues. I feel as if I am always stuck, why did I make the sandwhich? There doesn't seem to be much of a point to it.

However, I just got this idea, and I don't know how, or even if, it can be done. So far in the show, Rocky has reminded me to perform magic (instead of juggling) and wish the birthday child a happy birthday. I would say something along the lines of "All this hard work makes me hungry...I think I deserve a snack" or something, and Rocky would poke his head out. I push him back in my jacket, saying "No, Rocky, you haven't done anything I'm sorry". After I produce the sandwhich made, I want rocky to come and steal it somehow and runn off with it back into his cage. I produce the sandwhich in a ziploc baggie, so if somehow Rocky could pinch onto the bag or something.

In this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=45
Daniel Faith mentions that he inserted a magnet into Rocky's nose to let him pick up small items. I was thinking, If I put a strong enough magnet in Rocky's nose, then maybe had a magnet inside the sandwhich Rocky could pull the sandwhich with him whereever he went. I don't know enough about magnets though, would me washing them afterwards affect them? Where can I go to buy magnets anyway? It's not like an everyday thing, unless its one of those freezer/fridge magnets. Any ideas, information, and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Think inside the box while everyone else is busy thinking outside of it.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
You could make the sandwich from goshmans sponge bread and you could use a piece of yellow felt for cheese, glue it together with a small flat neodynium (sp) magnet. The magnets are avialable from most magic shops. You can't really wash magnets as the outer layer gets damaged.

All the best,

Matt
l2andall
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
44 Posts

Profile of l2andall
I think If I make a fake sandwich then the magic of making it will be lost. Does it damage magnets if you just rinse them off? I wouldn't have to use soap or anything, I could just run water over it and rub off the PB & J with my fingers.

Just got another idea! Maybe I could find a very small ziploc baggie, one the size of a quarter, and put the magnet inside that, and that inside the sandwich!

The closet magic shop to me is almost 2 hours away, do places like hobby shops carry magnet? Or maybe Home Depot?
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
You can pick up some small (easy to implant in a racoon nose) but strong magnets cheaply at your local Radio Shack or Lee Valley:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?ca......=64-1895

These are usually nickle-coated, and there is no worry about washing them, even with soap. However, they are sensitive to dropping, and to high heat.

These magnets are strong enough so that you'll only need a metal shim, or a small piece of sheet metal in your sandwhich.

You'll also find cheap ceramic magnets (larger, and not as strong as neos) at your local craft store, or the crafts section of a dollar store.

Rather than the sandwhich bit, why not have Rocky eat a piece of the birthday cake out of your hand while you're not looking? And when you look down, have him look up all innocent-like, with tell-tale icing on his nose.
l2andall
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
44 Posts

Profile of l2andall
Well, I would use the birthday cake idea, but I feel like I need to do osmething with the sandwich after I make it. I was planning on having him take the sandwich back into his cage, then I would plead with him to give it back. A torn up sandwich bag would come flying out of the cage instead. I would try and pull him out, but he would bite me. Then I would go through an apology and tell him I was sorry, and I owe him more credit than I gave him. I would let him know that he could come out and perform if he wanted to. Then I do my routine with him, letting everyone applaud for him when he's finished. He goes back to take a nap in my jacket, then reappears agian once more towards the end of the show.
MatBlack
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MatBlack
I get my magnets shipped in from http://www.wondermagnet.com/main.shtml - cheap and fairly stable/solid. Look for a round magnet for the nost to avoid accidental polarization conflicts - and they're smaller and more powerful.

BTW they also sell single sided magnets that have a positive and negative on the same side. Get a magnetic cored coin and you can do some astounding stuff in other perople's hands...

Mat.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Wow Rocky as a Raven...

I love it.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Yes my magnet in the nose work out quite well.
It's added a whole new dimension to Rocky.
You can also buy these magnets at any craft store, Walmart, etc,...
He can pick up coins, cards or anything else you gimmick.

Water does not hurt a magnet. The main thing you don't want to do to a magnet is get them real hot. That will damage them.
You really don't want to use too strong of a magnet either.
It's best to experiment with your application. That's what I did.
Craft magnets are perfect.
Daniel Faith
l2andall
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
44 Posts

Profile of l2andall
Thanks Daniel, it's nice to have the advice of someone who has actually tried this!

Thanks to the others as well, I plan on going out to get the magnets tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes!
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
Dropping a magnet also causes it to lose some of its magnetic charge. (physical science)

However, there are machines out there that are built to recharge magnets once they become weak. Most schools have one that belongs to the science department.
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
L2andall,
Save some of the hair from digging out the hole to put the magnet.
You can use Elmers glue to fill in the whole with hair.
You can't even tell anything was done to it.

Here's a bit that I use. Put a PK magnet under your lapel. Rocky will grab on to you and stay there. This can be made funny in a number of ways.
You can also vanish him by using a PK magnet behind you. Then turn around and let him be seen. The audience goes nuts.
Daniel Faith
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
L2andall,

Jerry Camaro had a HYSTERICAL routine with rocky finding a selected card using nothing more than a bit of magicians wax on his nose. It was published in the magic menu during the first five years. If you have the first five years of the mm or the compilation check it out. If not you could probably get a back issue of the Camaro issue from Jim Sisti. It is worth tracking down. It was originally set behind a bar but with a tweak and a twist will fit a kid show no problem.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Idea needed for a Rocky Raccoon stunt (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL