The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Charming Chinese Challenge question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I'm curious how well this will work in strolling situations. I did a search on previous threads, and I watched the Bob Kohler demo/advertisement, but I'm still not sure.

I'm really only interested in routines that are angle-proof or nearly angle proof, and required no table. I really don't like worrying if someone is looking over my shoulder, etc. So, can someone tell me if there are some angle problems?

This looks really good; I'm sure hoping it works out. Thanks much!

Ron Reid
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Get it...you won't be dissapointed.

Mike
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2783 Posts

Profile of John Long
Ron

I learned this from Troy's book, DesTROYers, but not performed it much (I'm just a hobbyist magician). It is a nice effect.

It does involve some FP type concealments, and at least one loading that I would find hard to hide from someone looking directly over my shoulder, but should not be a problem if they were at your side. Troy gives you the full handling on how to start from empty hands(in case that is of interest to you)

As far as the source for the routine, book versus the DVDs, Destroyers seems to have aleast 75% of the routines in the 3(?) volume DVD set: Total Destruction, and certainly more routines than are in the CCC DVD alone, and a much better price. Hence, I certainly recommend the book, but there is a caveat. Although the routine is not too hard to learn from a book(very standard moves), but, in my opinion, Joshua Jay's write-up of CCC was confusing. I had to read it several times to understand what he was trying to say, and where in the routine he was(he bounces back and forth a little). At at least one point I think it was written wrong(I at least had to make a small improvise/assumptioin).

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1236 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
This is great. I skip the throwing phase in the middle and goes with the rest of the routine - then everything can be done close up (the throwing phase can also be done close up, I just never thought it was really needed). My intro is a coins across routine with three coins - then I tell that to control the coins we need to tie them up, I introduce a ribbon and go into the chinese charming challenge (In Denmark where I live, we have regular coins with holes in the middle so this is perfect).

Beautifull routine by Troy Hooser, and pretty easy to perform if you keep to the standard moves.

I love to say after the first coin penetrates "Well you examined the coins, but did you examine the holes as well". That line gives a big laugh and everybody looks at the coin which provides me with plenty of time to set up for the next move.

Highly recommendable for table hopping and close up effects (however, you cannot have people looking over your shpulder from behind).
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
It works well in strolling situation. For some moves, some angle attention is required, but you can easily go through it by turning your body a little bit or working close to your chest/body. The effect is really worth it.
Jonathan.
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
I would strongly recommend this routine. The spellbound-type penetration drops jaws.

For walkaround, you need to watch people behind both shoulders, but that's only at a couple of points in the routine and can be easily misdirected.

I'd recommend buying the book "Destroyers" over the individual routine. It has a ton of other interesting material in it, including a wild coin type introduction to the Challenge.

Hope that helps.

Ian
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks for the replies, everyone. This has been very helpful!

Ron
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
I cannot agree more~

This is a really nice and practical routine. It WILL make people's jaw drop~ I performed it a few times and everytime the response was so great.

The handling is fairy easy if you've be working with coins for a while, and the moves are smooth like silk. The penetrations get better one after one and with a pretty standard yet amazing ending.

In deed you have to be careful with the angle problem, but mostly what FP will do this routine will also do. You can't have people at your back or shoulders for some part of the routine, but sometimes you can move your body to adjust, anyway people at your back can't even see the routine, so just try to "move" your audience to your front, then everything will be fine.
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
I agree with all the above, it is a great rouitne and it is not that angling,and the reactions are very strong.
the way I do it, it is a bit angling, I do it in downs palm and fingers front clip and I starts with all the coins in the ribbon, I get them all out and them I get them all back in again. people love to see them all back in.

they challenged me to get them all back in, that is why I created a second phase.

Best Regard.
Mano.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Ditto.

Every since The DesTroyers was released a few years ago, I've been performing this effect table side with variations from Sol Stone and Harvey Rosenthal. The effect is extremely easy on angles and I have even adapted a version of the effect utilizing jumbo chinese coins for my stand up show. Hoosers effect is worth your time, money and attention......go out and get two copies of the book.....
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Mano, that's a nice idea to have an extra phase to get them back in, would you mind giving me some directions on constructing it? Anyway, just having the coins getting off the string is so amazing, and that's how good this routine is.

Ar ha, Eric, using Jumbo Chinese Coins~? sounds fun. Are you trying to use a rope then?

There was a time I really searched for those Chinese Coin Troy was using in his routine (those are Sterling's), cause I like those Chinese Coins very much and wanted to use them in other routines too. I sent an email to the producer of the DVD and Bob gave a neat idea:
Use washers.

This creates an effect more like a ring on rope rather than a coin effect since you are using commodities rather than "mysterious chinese stuff". It's just a matter of taste. See if it suits your style.
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Quote:
On 2005-06-12 19:17, John Long wrote:
Ron

".... in my opinion, Joshua Jay's write-up of CCC was confusing. I had to read it several times to understand what he was trying to say, and where in the routine he was(he bounces back and forth a little). At at least one point I think it was written wrong(I at least had to make a small improvise/assumptioin)."
John

I agree, Jay's description is incorrect. I've thought of writing Troy, but since the book is already printed............
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2005-06-14 00:29, Richard Lucas wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-06-12 19:17, John Long wrote:
Ron

".... in my opinion, Joshua Jay's write-up of CCC was confusing. I had to read it several times to understand what he was trying to say, and where in the routine he was(he bounces back and forth a little). At at least one point I think it was written wrong(I at least had to make a small improvise/assumptioin)."
John

I agree, Jay's description is incorrect. I've thought of writing Troy, but since the book is already printed............

What is "incorrect" about it?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2783 Posts

Profile of John Long
Richard, thanks for confirming my concern. But let it be clear to others, I still think the book is great. Yet it would be nice if Troy could provide a little adendum to clarify the part that seems wrong. Although it would be nice to see how he does some of the moves that I think look fishy(e.g; the first loading), I still think the book give so much more value.

David:
In the book, p22 is confusing. It bounces back and forth, and just exactly how the stack should be oriented(w/the ribbon) is not clear to me. I can get it to work fine, but it could have been written much better.

On p25 is the section that I think has both confusing sections and some that are wrong.

"..The extra coin is concealed behind ... It rests directly behind the linked coin"
does this mean the coins are stacked? or is the hidden one lying down?

.." Take the two coins from... with your left hand, adding the p__ coin to the other two" For me, this section is not consistent with where the coins end up from the previous instructions.

I haven't worked on the throw parts, so I can't comment on it.

Mano: yes, I too would be interested in your extra phases. Sounds interesting. I haven't given any thought on how to get them back on. Seems like that would be harder than getting them off. Even posting a video on Video Depot would be greatly appreciated!

Any & All: I painted some washers, using some smaller diameter washer as "blocks" to create a psuedo Chinese look; can't get the little squares though. They do tend to chip if I ever drop them though, so I need to touch them up occasionally. The advantage of the washer is that they look the same on both sides - usefull for the spellbound change. I can also get larger holes than came in the souvenier Chinese coins(cuts down on the noise when you...) The downside is they are not as thin as the souvenier Chinese coins

Regards
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Info2victor,

We had the same idea of using washers and a shoe lace. This way everything is "normal" to the lay-audience.

I always thought it wuld be interesting to drill holes in regular quarters or fifty cent pieces and tell the tale of a mischievious kid who was trying to cheat the gum ball machine, but the coins kept coming off the string.

Corey
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
O Corey, I haven't thought of using a shoe lace, that's a nice idea~ looks more like an impromptu effect to me. Actually no one would carry a few Chinese Coins except magicians =)

I can imagine going to a construstion site and perform this washers + shoe lace to the workers there. Now it's called Charming Construction Challenge~

I like your idea of mischievious kids, both the threading in and coming off have a "real-life" reason. Ha, just of out curoisity, did anyone ever really tried to cheat the gum ball machine like that...?

As for me, I tried to use a story line of explaining why there are holes in the Chinese Coins. They are for easy carrage. Then I move on to say while it's easy to thread in, it's troublsome to move one out. And hence the "mystic Chinese people" developed a way to remove them one by one in a magical way.

You've got a coin?
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Quote:
On 2005-06-12 15:34, Ron Reid wrote:
Hello:

I'm curious how well this will work in strolling situations. I did a search on previous threads, and I watched the Bob Kohler demo/advertisement, but I'm still not sure.

I'm really only interested in routines that are angle-proof or nearly angle proof, and required no table. I really don't like worrying if someone is looking over my shoulder, etc. So, can someone tell me if there are some angle problems?

This looks really good; I'm sure hoping it works out. Thanks much!

Ron Reid

You will encounter zero angle problems once you misdirect good an your audience placement is fine. I felt too open with this routine before but it really is not risky to perform. Just try it.
Enjoy!
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
How many of you are using Shoot Ogawa's beginning for this routine? I have practiced it and am having problems with the middle coin seperating from the others. I am using Sterling coins which are light so could this be the problem? Should I switch to Johnson coins which are thinker and heavier? Which coins do you use? In Troy's video he mentiones Sterling since they are thin and make the moves easier. However, I am not sure which coins would work best for Shoot's handling in phase 1.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2005-06-16 00:56, Spydur wrote:
Info2victor,

We had the same idea of using washers and a shoe lace. This way everything is "normal" to the lay-audience.

I always thought it wuld be interesting to drill holes in regular quarters or fifty cent pieces and tell the tale of a mischievious kid who was trying to cheat the gum ball machine, but the coins kept coming off the string.

Corey

That is by far one of the best ideas I've ever heard with this routine.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
Yes, that is a VERY good idea. It is funny and easy for audiences to relate. This patter builds logic into the penetrations. Thank you for sharing!!!
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Charming Chinese Challenge question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL