The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Charity Table Hopping Help!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

colinW
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of colinW
Hi,

I have agreed to do some table-hopping at local charity dinner (all tips
going to the charity), and I need to know what tricks would work well under
those situations.

Being new to all this I have to go for easy to perform tricks and I would
like to be able to hand things out for people to examine.

I have narrowed my list to the following, what 5 would you recommend:-

Coin Unique or The Chinese Bit by Eddie Gibson
Golden Key
Colour Deception
Lethal Tender
Invisible Deck
Magic Blank deck
Color Monte
Card Thru Glass
Prof's Nightmare
Kundalini Rising
Twisted Sisters

I Will also buy the following books:-

Bobo's Modern Coin Magic & The Mark Wilson Encyclopaedia of Magic

It would be great to have some tricks that are easy to reset, I am based in
the UK and would welcome your suggestions as I do not want to let my Charity
down!!!

Feel free to e-mail me on: colinwalker@ntlworld.com

Colin
adbrooks
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of adbrooks
Not sure what some of your effects are but, as a general rule I only do stuff at tables that I know I could do drunk (please note that I do NOT drink when working), that way I can put all my effort into performing instead of thinking about the moves.

As to your list, Color Monte would go down well, and maybe twisted sisters, I do Prof. Nightmare but with a patter around psycology of rope which gets a laugh, there is no reason you can't play big at a table as long as the waiters are prepared for you jumping about the place.

On the upside, it is a charity event, you are giving up your time for free, go and enjoy yourself - there is no pressure. Smile
Tony Brooks
UK
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
799 Posts

Profile of Scott
[quote]On 2002-10-16 14:00, colinW wrote:
Hi,

Being new to all this I have to go for easy to perform tricks and I would
like to be able to hand things out for people to examine.

Not always neccessary but a bonus in places where people have had a drink just remember presentation is what is important.

I have narrowed my list to the following, what 5 would you recommend:-

Out of the list you have given I will tell you the ones that I acutally use.

Coin Unique - I have a story with this (Battle of the grandpa's) which is always well recieved.

Invisible Deck - I use this more for standup but have used it for close up just watch your angles, tables behind you etc.

Magic Blank deck (nudist deck) - I use this in all my close up with a hypnosis theme but start with a full pack which seems to become blank under hypnosis. Once again watch your angles.

Color Monte - Haven't used it for a while but it does get a good reaction with lay people.

Prof's Nightmare - Use this all the time and everytime I do I am amazed that what some magicians think of a kids trick works so well with adults. However you need a good story/patter line.

So there's four good simple almost no reset effects that I use on a regular basis.

I Will also buy the following books:-

Bobo's Modern Coin Magic & The Mark Wilson Encyclopaedia of Magic

Both books worth having

It would be great to have some tricks that are easy to reset, I am based in
the UK and would welcome your suggestions as I do not want to let my Charity
down!!!

IMO three of the most important requirements for close up table hopping are, quick and easy/no reset, audience involvment, simple to follow effects (espcially where alcohol is involved).

Hope this helps

Regards

Scott
Scott Creasey - Mind Reader

Original Routines With A Mental Flavour

http://www.mentalmagicism.com/
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On 2002-10-18 10:40, Scott wrote:
IMO three of the most important requirements for close up table hopping are, quick and easy/no reset, audience involvment, simple to follow effects (espcially where alcohol is involved).

That will be Double Back. I know I'm biased but I know that it, ahem, 'blows people away', and it's easy to do, involves the audience and is 99% automatically reset. I'd choose it over any other.

Don't overlook efects just because they don't reset instantly or need a little work in resetting. Sometimes, a better rest can be worked out. I used to do flying ring with it going up my sleeve but the reset was hell. Now, I do the same effect but the initial set-up is different. In fact, there IS no rest now.

If I am going around tables at a charity event and having to accept tips, I will try to ask for my regular fee. Then, any money I raise goes to the charity and my fee is effectively lowered. This works if the charity is going to spend money on entertainment anyway.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
My rule for table hopping, is to keep hopping!

In other words, handing out things for examination takes performing time or tip collecting time. If you "sell" the effect well, most folks will generally be satisfied to wonder, and they will appreciate the performance just as much, maybe more, than if you show everything clean.

One thing you haven't said, is how you will get the tips. Will you pass a "hat" when you finish. Or will a container sit on the table from the start?

Either way can work, but be sure that your audience knows that the proceeds will benefit the charity and that you are hoping that if they really like what what they see, that they will really benefit the charity.

Tell them up front what you expect, and there will be no surpise later as you really do expect tips for the benefit of the charity. It only takes a moment and single snetence can introduce yourself, tell why you are there, and what they should do when you are done.

I would not be afraid to tell each table that your goal is entertain them so thoroughly, and amaze them so completely, that they will want to show their appreciation by filling the "Hat!" But tell them, that is OK, you can always get more hats! And after all, it is for a good cause!

Then entertain them! And the Charity will definitely benefit.

Good Luck!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Charity Table Hopping Help!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL