The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind Breakthrough Card System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
HNey guys, another book video question.
Osterlind Breakthrough Card System - book or DVD....which has "more material" and better for learning?
Thanks
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
It's really a 'depends who you are' as far as learning the stack goes. Either way is satisfying. Someone say the manual, I think the dvd was great to learn it. I'm not sure which has more material (I believe the dvd does. The manual only has a portion of it I think). And don't forget about the stack effect on Richard's blog!

http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/blog/

Scott
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Actually I'm really looking for a lot of good effects to use, so whichever one holds that

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-06-12 23:35, God-glorified wrote:
ACtually Im really looking for a lot of good effects to use, so whichever one holds that

The DVD definetely has plenty to keep you busy for awhile (5 I believe). And if your familiar with mnemonics you could always memorize it, which opens up even more doors!

Scott
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
The BCS comes in handy when using the classic force. It is a great out should you encounter the type of spec that selects the last card.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
While I absolutely love the Mind Mysteries series, if I had to choose only ONE way to learn the system, I would opt for the book. (There's no reason you can't buy one now and buy the other later, is there?)

I learned BCS from the (original) book quite a few years ago, and while I was thrilled to learn a couple of new effects from the DVD and from the 20th Anniversary edition of the book, I think it was easier to learn "from scratch" from the book than it would've been from the DVD.

Both the book and the DVD have five effects, so quantity of effects balances out. The DVD has: Card Calling, Two Cards in Pocket, Challenge Mind Reading, Corinda Effect, and Blackjack Demonstration. The current edition of the book has Real Simple, Card Calling (identical to the DVD), Cards in Pocket (identical to "Two Cards in Pocket"), Test Condition Card Trick (identical to "Challenge Mind Reading"), and Magician Fooler.

So why would I go with the book? These reasons: the book has six peek techniques (the DVD has some, too, but not all six -- the cleanest and most clever one, IMO, the Card Case peek, is in the book AND on the DVD). The book has an illustration of the stacked deck, which is very handy when you're just starting out learning it.

But, frankly, the most compelling reason for me is: I would not have wanted to be tethered to a DVD player every time I wanted to work on learning the system. I took that original book with me everywhere, and having all the little hints and reminders in print form, in my pocket and ready for review at a moment's notice, was terrific. If, every time a question came to mind, I had had to carry around the DVD and wait 'til I got to a DVD player, and then fast-forward and reverse 'til I found the answer to my question, it would've been a hindrance.

There's without question information on each that is not presented in the other. Watching Richard perform with the BCS is instructive in and of itself, and you will no doubt pick up many unspoken performance hints from watching him. Then again, there are many hints in the book as well that may not've been mentioned on the DVD, and/or things that are stated more clearly in text than they might be when trying to explain the system out loud. It's the convenience of having the book at hand at all times when learning the basic system that tips the scale in my mind.

--Josh
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
I say go with the DVD.
I bought the instant download of the stack quite a while ago. I tried to learn it and pretty much gave up.
I then saw the dvd and that was it... the effects were so strong I thought I had to make the effort. so I watched the set up and explination on the dvd and it was so much clearer to me Smile
I learnt it enough to perform it with in one day, and now I can just real them off without thinking much.

Although you should adapt your own persona, it is also fun to watch how Richard performs. He is a VERY entertaining performer.

In Magic
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
One should definitely try to judge how they learn best. Some people learn better from visual stimuli, as the DVD provides. Some people learn better aurally, which is closer to what the book provides.

I had no problem whatsoever learning from the book, and had already committed to learning it so I didn't need (and couldn't have GOTTEN, at the time!) to see the effects performed in order to give me the impetus to learn the system.

The book has been in print for 22 years -- somehow, a whole lot of people managed to learn (and make an enormous hit out of) the BCS in its print form before the DVD came along. Again, I take NOTHING away from the DVD -- I think the Mind Mysteries series in general is the best DVD purchase I've made in years.

--Josh
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Great info guys youve really helped a lot.
So in general (please correct me if I am wrong) for the most part---the book and the DVD have all the SAME AMOUNT MATERIAL its just a matter of which I would prefer learning from.
Right?
Thanks for all the help

Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
If you're getting into mentalism or mental magic, you will end up with Mind Mysteries anyway. Tom
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
Quote:
So in general (please correct me if I am wrong) for the most part---the book and the DVD have all the SAME AMOUNT MATERIAL its just a matter of which I would prefer learning from.

Yes, they both teach the system and both give about 5 applications. Roughly speaking, the PDF has more on peeks and the DVD demonstrates actual performances. Other than that, I think they're roughly equivalent and it is indeed a matter of which you'd prefer learning from.

I think Tom is correct in that if you're really into mental magic, the Mind Mysteries DVD series is pretty much a must-have. Then again, if you've learned the BCS and the tricks from the book, the specific volume of Mind Mysteries that deals with the BCS will be mostly a rehash of what you already know.

--Josh
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
741 Posts

Profile of Roki
Thanks Josho , excellent detailed info . Very helpful . I am rereading my Osterlind books before his visit to the Café next month.
Mr Mindman
View Profile
Regular user
UK
111 Posts

Profile of Mr Mindman
I have the DVD's and the 20th aniversary manuscript.
Both are brilliant and as it has been said, it just depends which you learn best from.
If you want to see a very good mentalist at work, get the DVD's

Jon
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Gentlemen,

I have some thoughts on this subject. They can be found on my blog at:

http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/blog

Richard
toonomads
View Profile
Regular user
Albuquerque, NM, USA
172 Posts

Profile of toonomads
Hi Richard,

Very sensible. It's nice to hear a full-time working pro advocating getting as much knowledge as one can from all sources available (I believe that's what you said).

I hadn't seen the connection between the old ways of learning in person and through video. But I have felt it, as I live in Japan and have spent the last decade learning from both books and video with an occasional lesson when I get to Los Angeles, my hometown.

As someone who returned to magic at around age forty but didn't get serious until about age 45, videos have been a big help. Plots that I really like I often explore with multiple texts and videos as well as seeking out live performances when I can.

All the best,

Mark Pappler
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Richard and all magi friends, I thank you deeply for ALL the insight and help you have given me. I greatly appreciate what you have done.
God Bless

Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
741 Posts

Profile of Roki
Well , nothing inspires confidence like seeing a true pro at work on video . I felt totally different after watching Richard use a N*** W***** on vid even though I'd read his take on it . So much to pick up unconsciosly too .
How to convey a trustworthy likeable persona that you will fool your audience in an honorable way ! This is in the character and cannot be described .
I still like the books also to pore over the ideas at a more considered level .
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Let me add just a bit more to this conversation.

Over the last couple of years, I have been in the situation of being both author and video performer of some of the same material. The instructional process is totally different for each outlet. During a video shoot, quite a bit happens spontaneously and the performer gets a chance to take advantage of each situation as it arises. The viewing audience sees the magician "thinking on his feet" so to speak. Most of this would never see the pages of a book. When completed, the feeling, from the performing end, is akin to numbness and I have often found myself wondering, "What did I do and say?"!

Writing, on the other hand, is a very contemplative effort and gives the author a chance to delve very deeply into the subject if he/she so desires and wants to put forth the effort. I have often spent 3 or 4 days on the same page, writing and rewriting the material until I was satisfied. There is always the opportunity to review everything before it goes to paper or electronic press.

With books and video, you get to see 2 sides of the performer. Now, whether or not that person has 2 sides worth seeing is up to you! (I think I would be a lot less tolerant of myself than others have seemed to be!)

And thank you very much for your kind words.

Richard
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Hi Richard and all,

I have both the ebook of BCS and Mental Mysteries dvd. I have to admit that when I first got the ebook, I was a little stumped on how to do it all as I am not good at computing things in my head. I almost gave up on it, but it kept calling to me for some reason. Then I saw it on the dvd and was blown away by how simple it actually is. As Richard says in the dvd, it is kind of a knack that you have to learn. Once I got the knack of it down, it just "clicked". Now I understand how simple this actually is. Once you set the time to study it and play around with it, you too will see how simple and fun this is to do. Great job to you Richard on coming up with such a wonderful masterpiece, and the Mind Mysteries dvds totally blew me away. Keep up the great work my friend.

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
And an excellent essay, a follow-up to Richard's post above, is on his blog. It's what I pointed out with my review of Dan Turcotte's DVD/e-book combination set, http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=3886427

As one who only recently got into performing (a year ago last month; huzzah for anniversaries!) I very much appreciate the videos available. But I learned very quickly that they are not nearly as interactive as books. Each has strengths peculiar to themselves, and they work best when a video and a book work in tandem.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind Breakthrough Card System (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.54 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL