The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Popping balloons with chemicals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

booker
View Profile
New user
earth
30 Posts

Profile of booker
I am trying to get balloons to pop using a solvent. The bit goes: I blow up two balloons I set 1 each in a holder and direct the audience to concentrate on one balloon. 10 seconds or so later the other balloon pops and my line is " Ok, who is the joker that is concentrating on the wrong balloon?" I have a couple of products that pop them on contact and I am trying to dilute them with little success. Before I reinvent the wheel I wanted to ask if anyone else had tried this and what did you come up with? Thanks for your help.

Booker
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
Stay away from any kind of chemial reaction. Too many variables.

Rig some mechanical timer or mechanical means to pop the balloon instead. Example....a straightpin on a remote controlled servo.

Nathan
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17584 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I know there is a method in Howie Didits....???
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Pavel
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Pavel
Remote controlled straightpin, IMO, is an awesome idea, it is great!
"Truth without Magic does not exist" J.Faulz
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Yes, buy a cheap radio control car and disassemled it. You can hide it easy under the base.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
After extensive testing, at my private extensive testing laboratory (WalMart Smile ).
I found that a little "Goo Gone" on your finger tip and then on a balloon will pop the balloon in short order (5-15 seconds), depending on ammount used, where placed on balloon, balloon quality, (muzzle velocity, wind speed, angle of the sun, etc... Smile ) .

But that is the safest chemical I found to use, and Yes I believe I got the idea from an article (possibly in the howie diddit section) on someone using another Wally World product that my particular Wally World had discontinued (hence the extensive testing).

It will work, you just have to do a little experimenting on the balloons yourself, to get te timing down. After much home testing, I found that I could get the time down closer to 7-9 second mark.(back to the old basic 3 most important rules: practice, practice, practice)

Although not as much fun, at least it will be faster than going thru all the howies individually. Anyway, hope this helps.

Steve Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17584 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Go-Gone is the stuff I read about but our WalMart never has any in stock.....lot's of experimenting magicians around these parts I guess.
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I used to do something similar, but with the straight pin popper, not the chemical. The pin was pushed down into a hole drilled in the holder with a spring to shoot it up and pop the balloon. The release for the pin was a thread. Pull the thread and the balloon went off. It seems to me that there was a commercial balloon popping stand on the market years back, but I would have to go scrounging through old catalogs to find it. It was during the year everyone was doing balloon magic like crazy... remember?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
It requires an electricity source, but long-lead balloon squibs inside of the holder could also work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Popping balloons with chemicals (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL