The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Center tear, how many times to tear? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
I'm working on the center tear from 13 steps but I've got one probelm: When I tear it as many times as it says in the book the center is really tiny and the spectators have no room to write on for me to be able to use it after "the move". My question is, is it necesary to tear it in thirds in both directions? I find it easier to tear it in halves but maybe there is some disadvantage I have not thought of, is there?
How many times do you guys tear it?

//Christian
kbiehler
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of kbiehler
Once each way. I haven't torn it into thirds since I started doing it in the early seventies. Except mabe after the read. Kent
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
May I recommend Richard Osterlind's Perfected Center tear on book and DVD. Also Peak Performances by Richard Busch for a different perspective.

Michael
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1345 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
If you are doing one of the more modern "instant read" tears, there may be more three or more tears, though you may not be tearing through the whole packet each time. But since your question is about the classic CT with a retention, I ignore the instructions, as Kent suggests, and just tear once each way. That's how most do it today, since it gives you a bigger section and makes it much easier to tear. For instant reads, the Osterlind tear is magnifique (though I have to borrow one move from the Baker tear to make it work for me).

Btw, I am looking for Barrie Richardson's much praised center tear. Is it in Theater of the Mind, or is that just the Post-It tear? Anyone know where to find it? Thanks in advance,

Seth
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
As mentioned above. For me Osterlind's CT is far the most comfortable one. His fine tips of handling really make it easy and natural to handle the paper and get the peek.
Get his manuscript or even better the DVD where you can see the exact handling from different angles.

Regards
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I second Thomas on PCT.
That's what I use most.

As to the classic CT, two tears is sufficiant.

Sven
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Ditto, Sven.

The PCT is superb - I find that many spectators know about stealing a piece of the paper away, and reading on the other side of the room, as it was 'exposed' on one of those *** tv programmes.

That said, the PCT stops tose problems.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
rumburak
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of rumburak
Quote:
The PCT is superb - I find that many spectators know about stealing a piece of the paper away, and reading on the other side of the room, as it was 'exposed' on one of those *** tv programmes.

I can definitely second the recommendations for the PCT.

The DVD is "Mind Mysteries 1" from Richard Osterlind where it is explained in detail. The handling is quite important since it provides proper misdirection and you can watch him placing time between the tearing and the peek. This is probably the crucial thing in dealing with people who know the handling of the older methods.

Oh, and there is a subtlety that makes sure that the spectator writes at the right spot in an appropriate size and legibly!
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Most of the time I end this with pointing at the spectator and saying with a smile: "She's over there, putting the pieces together to see if any are missing"!
I don't know how many times I have done this the last two years (many!!!) but it as far as I remember, happened only twice that she actually did put the pieces together.

The book mentions a small subtlety that not is mentioned on the video. That really assures you that even the smartest, brightest wouldn't find a clou, if she went through the pieces one by one.
It's not a move or sleight or anything like that, just a little something I adopted from the book from the first moment, and which has become of second nature when I do the PCT.
It's not neccesary, but probably great for the once in a blue moon when a skeptical tries to find out your secret.

Sven
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
968 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Osterlind's Center Tear. 3 tears all together and it's good
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
balcazar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of balcazar
I agree, Osterlind's PCT as it is
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Steal the center and then you can tear the darned pieces as much as you want...
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
That's exactly what I do... I use the Zen Tear and once the deed is done, I use the ploy that Banachek taught in Psi-series one and let the spectator continue the tearing... Preferably I let them burn the pieces (sets a mood) and then it's time to gaze in the flames...
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
It does not really matter how many times you tear the paper.
I have my own centre tear and I tear the paper 3 times then one time thru the info.

In Magic
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Center tear, how many times to tear? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL