The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Create Your Own Magic by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Has anyone come up with a review for this one?
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I think people have learned at this point to quit buying Sankey's stuff.
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
There isn't much to say except that this DVD is of course primarily intended to inspire creativity. Sankey includes some quotes by famous people. It provides some insight into Jay's thought process for creating effects.

I will give it 7 out of 10.

I like the bonus effects:

Bonus effect #1 'Final Countdown'

Effect: An 'any card at any number' effect. The spec doesn't even tell you the number. They cut the deck as many times as they want, deal the cards at their thought of number and arrive at the selected card.

Nice effect, but there is a cleaner 'any card at any number' effect called 'Unconscious Knowledge' on the Boris Pocus DVD.

Bonus effect #2 'Houdini's Touch'

Effect: The spec ties a string into several knots. The magician removes the knots by merely pulling down on the string.

I'm not really into rope and string magic, but this is alright.

Bonus effect #3 'Simultaneous'

Effect: A 'Do As I Do' card effect in which the magician's card turns out to be the matching card.

I prefer this method to other 'Do AS I Do' plots.

Bonus effect #4 'Inception'

Effect: A really clean signed coin in soda can effect. Their signed coin is really in the can. Specs' minds should be blown as you remove the coin from the can.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6961 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Thanks for posting the bonus effects. I was really hoping someone would do that.
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
I just hope and prey (and I'm not all that religious) that that signed coin in can is not the same method as the coin in signed can released by Larry Jennings (Jeff Busby)many years ago.
Best,

Al
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
I don't know about that, but there are similar effects out there. Richard Osterlind's Marked Coin in Bottle is an example.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1028 Posts

Profile of in flames
Quote:
On 2005-06-13 16:53, David Ranalli wrote:

I love Jays VBO 3 DVD set, The Sankey Sanders Sessions (you can't go wrong with Sander's), Revolutionary Coin Magic and 45 with Jay Sankey. That's all you need and you'll have all of Sankey's releases from the beginning of his career, up until he retires.
roya
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
211 Posts

Profile of roya
Quote:
On 2005-06-14 09:11, in flames wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-06-13 16:53, David Ranalli wrote:

I love Jays VBO 3 DVD set, The Sankey Sanders Sessions (you can't go wrong with Sander's), Revolutionary Coin Magic and 45 with Jay Sankey. That's all you need and you'll have all of Sankey's releases from the beginning of his career, up until he retires.

Sercret files vol 1 has good stuff in it.
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Thanks for all the reply.
A bunch of quotes on creativity with so-so bonus items........I think I can pass on this.
Thanks again

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1028 Posts

Profile of in flames
[quote]On 2005-06-14 11:58, roya wrote:
Quote:
Sercret files vol 1 has good stuff in it.

Your right. I forgot about those. Sankey has definately released some killer DVDs/videos. If your looking for new plots only, then Jay's stuff is the way to go. If your looking for new techniques. Forget it.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6961 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I recently aquired SAnkey's Secret Files and I have to say that I think vol. 2 has some great stuff on it. To me, 1 and 2 are fairly equal. Maybe it's because my expectations were so low for vol. 2 that I was pleasantly surprised to find some good material on it. To each his own, I guess.
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Wow...quite an interest for sankey secret files 1 and 2. is there a lot of impromptu magic in there or just good ideas?

DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
2017 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Hmm, I didn't like it, and I have all of Sankey's other stuff...i'm selling mine on eBay.
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
gngorick
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of gngorick
David, did the video inspire you in any way? What didn't you like about it? I'm considering buying this video myself, as I need a sh*tload of help on creating original effects. I was hoping that this DVD will help me.
gngorick
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of gngorick
I just recieved my copy of CYOM. I give this DVD a 8.5 out of 10 (this is actually one of Jay's better videos). Jay shares some pretty interesting principles and theories that make good starting points for magicians who want to start creating their own magic. I didn't like any of the bonus effects, but just the talk on the DVD was worth my 30 dollars. This video is a nice companion to Jay's book, Beyond Secrets. All the talk really got me thinking.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1040 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Thank you everyone for the reviews.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Create Your Own Magic by Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL