The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Nightmare Alley (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cadabra
View Profile
New user
NYC
58 Posts

Profile of Cadabra
Just in case you didn't already know...Nightmare Alley is now out on DVD.
"It has always amazed and baffled me that audiences will wait patiently in line and pay good money to have the wits scared out of them." - William Castle

www.albertcadabra.com
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
It's both a favorite book and movei of mine... Look for "The Dreaming Jewels."
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1118 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Thanks Cadabra, I was looking forward for Nightmare to come out. The studio and the producer were going back and forth about MONEY, and it did not look like this movie was going to be release. Fortunatly everybody greed has been apeased. I went out and purchased this movie when you brought to everyone attention. I did a search, but could not find an answer to this question, what other movies are there available on DVD on this subject?

Nightmare Alley
Freaks (my next purchase)
Carnnie (Jodie Foster pic, but it is not availalbe on DVD, think I am spelling it wrong sorry)

any others...?
thanks again

Jerry
Cadabra
View Profile
New user
NYC
58 Posts

Profile of Cadabra
There's actually a lot out there if you hunt for them. Here's a short list of DVD titles that are (or were) available. Have fun hunting.

Carnival of Blood
Freakshow
The Greatest Show on Earth
Big Top Pee Wee
Murder in the Museum

AND...Definitely Pick up "She Freak". Something Weird Video puts it out on DVD. It's immaculate and has a bunch of special features like a newsreel interview with the Hilton Sisters and the Gibb Sisters and
actual footage from a 1930's Sideshow...
does anyone have any info on which show this could have been? At one point I see a Hubert's Museum Banner up but I don't know if it's just random footage or one show.
"It has always amazed and baffled me that audiences will wait patiently in line and pay good money to have the wits scared out of them." - William Castle

www.albertcadabra.com
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
FUN HOUSE is a lousy movie, but has some great shots of props from carnivals past, especially in the opening sequence.

Chris
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2436 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Let me urge you in the strongest possible terms to visit Vanteen's site (link below) - it's his sideshow: "At Bakersfield we were approached as soon as we got on the lot by Bobby Cohn and a fellow named David Friedman, who was a motion picture producer. He wanted to use our sideshow, while in operation, in a movie he was shooting that took place on a carnival midway. The movie was centered around a woman who takes a job on a carnival midway, but is repulsed by the sideshow and it's people. She marries, and murders, the carnival concession manager, but gets her due from the sideshow people in the end. The plot was very similar to the famous 1932 Todd Browning movie "Freaks", which Schlitzie had had a role in. This new movie was to be called "She Freak". They used the interior and exterior of our show, while we were performing. I was given a role in the movie- "Mr. Babcock", carnival owner! Consequently, I had to stay out of the scenes in and around the sideshow while they were shooting! Lee was in several scenes, as well as Bill Unks, Dino Diza, and Evelyn, Lee's sister. It didn't interfere with business- most of the shooting was done before we'd open for business or after the carnival closed. Bakersfield was one of the biggest fairs in California, and it runs ten days. We had a lot of fun being a part of this picture. For those who have seen the movie: I played another role besides Mr. Babcock- at the climax of the movie, when all of the freaks attack the girl, I was the one dressed as a wild, bushy-haired monster!..."

Vanteen was amazingly generous to me in my own research, and his site contains a wealth of detailed stories you will surely enjoy! (By the way, it was the aforementioned Bill Unks who found pinhead Schlitzie "lost" from his/her carny career in a state mental hospital and rescued him to live out his years back on the road with Ward Hall.)

See http://members.tripod.com/~vanteen/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Nightmare Alley (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL