The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Stand-up routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
I'm wondering what classic books and what if any modern books have good solid stand-up routines and plots in them? I have Tarbell but its not always easy digging out the gems in it.

Also what are you guys doing in your stand up show for adults?????

Thanks,

Adam
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I just got "Theatre of the Mind" by Barrie Richardson, and it has some very good standup routines in it. With a focus on mentalism, but magic included as well. I am hearing good things about his upcoming book, "Act Two" as well, but don't have it yet. A good recommendation is Michael Ammar's "The Magic of Michael Ammar." It has a wide variety of material in it, both close up and stand up. It's a great resource to have. If you're into DVDs, Michael Finney's DVD set has some great stand up material on it if you have a comic presentation. Also Martin Lewis' "Making Magic" DVD set, which has Cardiographic on it. That's a great stand up trick that I've just begun to use, to great effect.
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
Awesome I am familar with some of the resouces you mentioned what else...?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Adam, knowing you, I'd suggest you check out Steve Bedwell's In Over Your Head manuscript. It's a brilliant comedy piece similar to the balls over the head effect but parts of it also fool the audience.
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
I asked about it when we were at Denny's, but he was out.

ADam
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Definetely Barrie Richardson's "Theater of the Mind" (Mentalism/Mental Magic/Magic) and his upcoming book "Act Two" (Delayed shipping date of June 24th)
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Kentrell
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, OH
72 Posts

Profile of Kentrell
The Michael Close Workers series had some good stand-up routines starting in number 3. He now sells them all combined in an e-book.

K
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
I have Mike closes stand up magic video
wand
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of wand
There are some great stand up routines in David Ben's book "Tricks".Does anyone know if there exists video of David Ben's stage shows, "The Conjuror" and the conjuror's suite" that can be purchased ??

Thanks for any information

Howard
http://www.sophisticatedmagic.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

"The Magic of Faucett Ross" by Lewis Ganson has mostly stand up material in it. Lots of gems. More recently, there's Mike Caveney's "Wise Guy - Harry Anderson" book. Lots of stand-up material in it.

Not sure if you said DVDs are okay...but if they are, I suggest Tim Ellis' "Ellis in Wonderland" DVD. He's got some excellent stand up routines such as the Razor Blades in the Mouth, Bill to Impossible Location, Spirit Slates routine, Jumbo Monte, and more. It's probably my favorite DVD.

I hope this helps you.

Ron
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
George Kaplan's book, "The Fine Art of Magic" and the Martin Lewis DVD "Making Magic" are two gold mines for stage.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-06-21 00:54, Whit Haydn wrote:
George Kaplan's book, "The Fine Art of Magic" and the Martin Lewis DVD "Making Magic" are two gold mines for stage.

Of course, modesty forbids Whit from recommending two booklets of his own (also available on DVD):

1. Mongolian Pop Knot Routine (hilarious comedy rope routine),and
2. The Intricate Web Of Distraction (great color changing knives routine), and also
3. Comedy 4 Ring Routine (DVD only; no booklet that I am aware of)

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Wise Guy is good....
And someone else reccommended the Fine ARt of MAgic to me..........good luck finding it but if you did please tell me! Smile
Thanks
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You might want to call Andy Greget. You can get his number from the IBM dealer's list posted at the IBM convention web site.

He does not have a web site.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Stand-up routines (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL