The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Raven's Slates (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
This really sounds (pun intended if it strikes you as funny - if not funny, no pun intended) interesting, but it reminds me of an effect that was available from Abbott's years ago and an old one from Corinda or Annemann I believe, where you needed something available from a certain type of doctor.

The addition to what I mention above seems to be the description of the sound, as the advertising states that "the sound comes from the actual chalk and slates" and "the sound is really chalk on slate." As far as the sound goes, if you deal with sound you know the "properties" (?) of it, but the ad copy "seems" to negate that idea. Maybe this addition is what puts the price up there. I trust that the words that are used here to advertise are not a use of a certain principle!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Drs_Res
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Drs_Res
I don't think that the lack of a wooden boarder would be detrimental at all if the slates are put into the context of being VERY old (read ancient, before people thought to put them in a frame).

If there is a frame and it is metal or plastic, it might be harder to sell that.

The way I would be using the effect would be closer to a seance setting (not a huge stage performance), so there might be just a hint of dark mood music in the background, just enough so you barely notice it, but it's there and a little un-nerving to the guests.

If played correctly, all attention should be on the board and what is about to happen, there should be dead silence in the room at that time.
( / ) The Bunny
(O.o) Add him to your signature.
(> <) Help him rule the world.
/_||_ Prosper at his side.

Scott
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
704 Posts

Profile of RooMan
The chalk writing sound is cool enough but nobody has mentioned the visible appearance of writing in the second half of the effect. How's that look and how much prep/handling/etc...is required for that nifty little bit of magick?
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Is the effect good close-up?

Actually I have been looking for a strong effect like this and have a perfect bizarre (ha, what else!) application and presentation for it.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
The visible appearence of the chalk, though eerie, isn't as affective as the sound of chalk on slate. It's my preference. The visible appearence in the right setting may play well, however.
"The mage" doesn't need to touch the slates if a slight alteration is made.
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Jheff from http://www.Jheff.com/jmom.html (where he sells mostly mentalism effects including this one) had this to say about the Raven Slates in his own review:

"Docc has now successfully added the one feature to slate
effects that has long been desired: to be able to hear the
sound of the writing being done. This technique was
accidentally discovered by Docc's young daughter and these
slates are named after her. These beautifully made,
handmade slates are a limited edition. Docc made one batch
of these slates and when they're gone, they're gone. And,
as with all of Docc's stuff, his instructions are thorough,
the routine has been tested, and the effect on an audience
is powerful. As to the handling, the "talking" technique is
certainly not difficult, but it does require some practice.

However, I have to mention that in order to accomplish the
effect you will need to obtain and use some chemicals not
included in this package. I won't detail how or why they're
used, but simply explain what is needed. One chemical used
is Naphtha. According to Docc, it is available from dry
cleaning supply houses in pure form. You can also use a
clear lighter fluid, which contains Naphtha. The other
necessary chemical mentioned is Heptane. Docc mentions
rubber cement thinner as a source to obtain it. In both
cases, since it's difficult to send flammable liquids
through the mail (at least, through the U.S. mail), you may
want to check to see the availability of these chemicals
before deciding on whether to purchase this or not.

The one complaint I have at this time is the chalk. Docc
includes only two pieces of chalk -- one regular and one
special piece of chalk. Docc neither explains what this
special piece of chalk is, how to obtain replacements of
this chalk, or how to make replacements of this chalk. I
suspect, though, that contacting Docc (his e-mail is
included in the booklet) will yield an answer. Still, it
should have been included in the manuscript."

Thought I'd pass along the information/review so that others can make an informed decision before deciding to spend such a large amount of money on an effect. I also suggest signing up for Jheff's frequent personal product reviews (such as this one) that he sends out via email. They are honest, forthright, and unbiased.
mk
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of mk
How about some comments from someone that owns and has performed this effect?
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Mk,
I believe several of us have already commented.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2005-06-23 21:14, hoodrat wrote:
The one complaint I have at this time is the chalk. Docc
includes only two pieces of chalk -- one regular and one
special piece of chalk. Docc neither explains what this
special piece of chalk is, how to obtain replacements of
this chalk, or how to make replacements of this chalk.

As I mentioned earlier, this visible writing part sure sounds a lot like the Abbott's and Corinda material!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Magicbygeorge, you own a set of Raven slates? All the others who have describe this product say they were present during a performance, but not that they own the product.

Jerry
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I guess you have to be willing to die for this trick! And cancer is a slow death... May be you can work in the Bio hazard suit as part of the act. I am the toxic avenger from outerspace.

Jerry
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
I too was at the Seance that Rick mentioned. I heard the writing as it occurred. I have done "convention" slates and this is much better. With all due respect to Clifford, I am an Environmental Engineer and I have no fears or concerns about the methodology. I power my car with gasoline and use Draino to clear my drains. Both of these acts pose greater risk to me than using these slates. This is not a self working trick. Those who seem to want that should not buy it. Docc is such a consumate performer that he can do things that would not work for me. This is not an effect that requires slight of hand, but it does require showmanship to "sell it" properly. I am not planning to do a seance in the near future, so I don't own these slates. If those plans should change and it is an intimate venue, I will have the slates in that show.

Rich
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Quote:
On 2005-06-24 16:34, Clifford the Red wrote:
http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/HE/heptane.html

Double Yikes!

Thanks for posting the link to the chemical descriptions. Too bad the original ad copy says absolutely nothing about needing hard-to-obtain chemicals to successfully perform this effect. In fact, the ad copy says "Nothing is taken away or added to the slates." Then when and where do the dangerous chemicals come in use?

If anybody truly has bought this item and used it, please let us know your experiences with the dangerous chemicals! Were they expensive? Difficult to obtain? Challenging to transport? Are you coming down with cancer yet?
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Excellent point Hoodrat. This is exactly what I was talking about in my first post. You buy the product only to find out the chalk can not be replaced, that it involes the use of chemicals that are dangerous, expensive and may not be available. Also you may not travel with from state to state if you fly to your show. No one who actually OWNS a set of these slates has come foreward and given details of this product. The facts are mounting.

Jerry
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Quote:
On 2005-06-24 19:30, Jerry wrote:
Excellent point Hoodrat. This is exactly what I was talking about in my first post. You buy the product only to find out the chalk can not be replaced, that it involes the use of chemicals that are dangerous, expensive and may not be available. Also you may not travel with from state to state if you fly to your show. No one who actually OWNS a set of these slates has come foreward and given details of this product. The facts are mounting.

Jerry

I agree with you. That's why I recommend subscribing to Jheff's email newsletter that comes out every five or seven days. It's free to do so. Visit his website at http://www.jheff.com/jmom.html to do so. His personal reviews of mentalism-related products are VERY reliable, cut through the hype, and give more information than other sites do. I enjoy reading them, and he has saved me some money on things I was going to purchase but decided not to after reading his input on the items (such as "Raven's Slates").

If you do decide to buy something from his website, his prices seem to be much lower, too, than other sites. I have never bought anything from his site yet, so I don't know what his customer service is like. I'm sure it's very reliable and good, though. He has responded within a day to emails I've personally sent him in which I asked some questions about products.

I ALMOST bought "Raven's Slates", but I'm glad I didn't! Speaking of Hilford's products, I did buy his "Cassandra Deck" a couple years ago. That, too, wasn't suitable for me personally, and I was disappointed with it. Never have used it.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-24 18:03, Viano wrote:
I too was at the Seance that Rick mentioned. I heard the writing as it occurred. I have done "convention" slates and this is much better. With all due respect to Clifford, I am an Environmental Engineer and I have no fears or concerns about the methodology. I power my car with gasoline and use Draino to clear my drains. Both of these acts pose greater risk to me than using these slates.

An environmental engineer and you have no problem with handling benzine and exposing your audience to it? Yeesh! Sorry but you are not wiping down your props with gasoline and drano and exposing your audience to those chemicals and fumes either, so there is a slight difference! This is nearly as bad as Ultra Smoke which turned out to be powdered hydrochloric acid. I think with such hazardous chemicals there needs to be some real disclosure as to exposure and risk instead of a typical magic ad.

But really Jerry, enough with the melodrama.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-24 19:30, Jerry wrote:

Jerry

I find this frustrating. How may I make this any clearer: I use these slates. Please read the above posts again there have been a couple of people who have said they also USE these slates. The chemicals ARE NOT hard to obtain, they are safe you already use them – I’m sure. Depending on how you wish the writing to appear, you won't even need the chemicals to perform this effect.

The chalk is a normal piece of chalk. Easy to replace. As for the 'special' property it holds, contact Docc for further details. I'm sure he'll have no trouble answering your questions. Docc is very approachable.

If you have doubts about this product, don’t buy it.
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
402 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Magicbygeorge,

Yes, these are chemicals that, if used safely, are fine. But they are flammable and, technically, that makes them dangerous. As to the "chalk," there is a special piece of chalk included in the package and nowhere in the instructions did I learn its properties or find a way to replace it. This is not to say you can't, but unless that information is known, then it's not easy to replace, now is it?

In truth, I'm a very big fan of Docc's products and Raven's Slates are no exception. He's one of the most original thinkers in mentalism and magic today. It's just he goes a tad overboard with his ad copy. You sometimes will get something that is very good, but not necessarily what you thought.

If you'll notice in my comments, I didn't say that the use of chemicals in the effect is a drawback. Quite the contrary. Some of the greatest effects in magic and mentalism require chemicals. But some folks (like me) just aren't comfortable using them, either on stage or in preparation. Therefore, Docc should have included in his ad that certain chemicals are necessary to make the effect work.

Also, you write that "Depending on how you wish the writing to appear, you won't even need the chemicals to perform this effect." I just re-read the instructions again and I must have missed the method for performing this without the chemicals. Can you provide a page reference so that I can see what I must have missed?

-- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
427 Posts

Profile of Seance
I'm going to agree with MagicbyGeorge: I received my set of slates yesterday. Today, I was able to obtain the necessary chemicals without any problems. I then tested everything. It worked like nothing I'd seen before.

It makes me sick that I missed the final Haunted Chamber and this effect as Docc did it. I'd love to see his take on it.

The versatility of this has me spinning a lot of possible ways to reveal revelations.

One other note: Rick Maue uses them and I KNOW that he values his health more than anything. Don't believe me? Check out http://www.deceptionsunlimited.com/news.html and then click on the section labeled 'Why?'

Bottom line: Docc should have priced them a LOT higher. I still would buy them. By themselves, a nice effect. With the right chops, you have a miracle.

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Raven's Slates (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL