The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review: Tri-Epic Deluxe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Tri-Epic Deluxe

When I first saw David Copperfield perform his Graffiti Wall effect, I remember thinking, “Wow, I’d love to do something like that.” But, as I work without assistants, I quickly dismissed the idea.

Fortunately, Devin Knight was not similarly deterred, because Tri-Epic Deluxe puts the means to perform the Graffiti Wall – or, more precisely, an effect that’s strongly reminiscent of the Graffiti Wall in many ways – within reach of the solo performer, and under a very wide range of performance conditions.

The basic effect: three spectator are brought onstage. Already onstage is a corkboard with a large envelope, and three face-down newspapers. You give the first spectator a free choice of any of the newspapers. At the same time, you ask any of the spectators if they know what’s in the envelope on the corkboard; they say, “No,” and you take the envelope down, open it, reach in, and pull out a smaller envelope with the word “No” printed on it. (This is an optional gag.) This smaller envelope is given to the third spectator to hold.

The first spectator pins the front page of his chosen newspaper to the corkboard.

The second spectator selects any card from a jumbo deck in a completely fair and aboveboard manner.

A bag of magic markers is shown, and the variety of colors and thicknesses of the markers is displayed. The third spectator removes any one of the markers and hands it to the second spectator. The second spectator, who now wields the magic marker, draws a picture of the card he selected on the pinned-up newspaper page, and writes below the picture whether or not the magic marker is a broad tip or fine tip.

The third spectator now opens the envelope he’s been holding since the beginning of the effect. Inside is a folded newspaper page. Four predictions are now revealed: it’s the same newspaper page as the first spectator chose; upon it is drawn the same playing card that the second spectator chose; and it is drawn in the same color magic marker as the third spectator chose. Lastly, the thickness of the magic marker (broad or fine) is also correctly predicted.

Various features that dealer ads could honestly proclaim: there is no preshow work. The spectators are all real (no stooges, instant or otherwise). The newspapers are all different and are completely ungimmicked; there is no force involved. Every card in the jumbo deck is shown to be different AS the spectator is choosing his cards. The magic markers are shown to be, without question, different colors and thicknesses. The spectator himself removes the prediction from the envelope, and there are no double envelopes. The prediction itself is ungimmicked; the magician hasn’t touched it (or the envelope it came in) since the beginning of the effect. No nail-writing or secret writing of any sort takes place during the effect. The envelopes may be torn open to show that there were no extra predictions or other envelopes hidden inside.

Everything you need to perform the effect comes in the package, with one exception: the newspapers, which can be local and up-to-date. But for your money, you get the stage-sized corkboard, a folding easel for the corkboard, pins, the jumbo deck, a supply of envelopes (they’re standard and thus easily replaced), a dozen magic markers (these are also standard and easy to replace), and the bag for the markers. There are 14 pages of detailed, illustrated instructions.

As with the other two Devin Knight products I’ve bought recently (The Glass Box and the Chess Gambit), the technical skills required are minimal; there are no sleights per se, and no sophisticated audience management, either. As with those effects, nothing here looks tricky or gimmicky in the slightest; you still appear to be working with the bare basics.

You won’t find any staggering new principles or gimmicks here. What you will find, as with Devin’s other products, is that the routining is pitch-perfect and the instructions are a marvel of subtle touches and alternate handlings. One of the smoothest is the way you can make it appear as if you hand the prediction over before a single choice has been made by any of the spectators. Another is the handling of the jumbo deck; the touches here (one of which was inspired by a Dai Vernon subtlety) may change the way you approach similar forces. And there is a terrific method for doing the routine using the sections of just one newspaper, rather than the front pages of three different papers. Not only does this enable you to do the effect using only the sections of a local newspaper if you chose to, it simultaneously gives the appearance of having the first choice be from among a much greater number of possibilities.

While Devin Knight’s name has been around for many years (especially to those who’ve studied Al Mann’s works), it seems that it’s only been in the past couple of months that he has distinguished himself as a seller of mentalism effects that combine solid props, beautifully-crafted routines, and a surplus of handling options to fit a variety of tastes, abilities, and performance situations.

Highly Recommended. Available from http://www.hocus-pocus.com.
Magicman862
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincy, OH
385 Posts

Profile of Magicman862
Good review, however can you explain the graffiti wall effect by Copperfield, I have seen his show, but this effect and its details are blurred to me
thank you
Paul
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I appreciate the nice review Josh, unfortunately the review has sparked more interest then we can supply. The intial run was 12 units for HP and they are all gone. However Paul has convinced me to do one more run of 12 units. I told him I would make 12 more but that was postively it. I will be shipping to him later this week. If you missed on the original 12 you will have one more chance to get one of the 2nd twelve. People have asked if this is the deluxe model, is there a smaller version coming out? Yes a smaller version with a slightly different effect will be out very soon, but won't be a large stage item like this one.

Hopefully this large model will spark interest in the smaller version designed for
the average venue most magician's work in. The continued sale of the large deluxe model could interfere with the deal I have with Murphy's to distribute the smaller one. For this reason, there will be no more than the next 12 units available.

Hocus Pocus will be the first dealer to have the smaller version in a few weeks. I strongly suggest if you want the deluxe model to call Paul and reserve while you can. When these 12 are gone there will be no more....period.

Devin Knight
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Paul,

The graffiti wall: David wheels out and displays a large brick wall ("from East Berlin"), one side of which is bare brick and the other side of which appears to be cement-covered. The cement-covered side is turned to face the crowd. David also shows a large envelope hanging from a clip on a nearby lamppost; he opens it briefly and pulls a folded sheet of paper partway out, to show that something's written on it; he puts it back in, reseals the envelope, and hangs it back on the clip.

David picks a woman from the audience. She hurls a foam brick into the crowd. The spectator thus selected names his favorite animal and his favorite color (the color has to be either red, blue, or green, to match the three cans of spray paint that David has onstage). The spectator names the color and the animal; the woman then uses that color spray paint to draw her interpretation of the animal on the wall.

Another male is selected via the brick; he gives his choice of color, his initials, and his phone number. David paints the man's initials and phone number on the wall with the man's selected color.

Two more men and one more woman are selected; their names are all painted on the wall (with some amusing byplay).

David pulls that envelope down that's been hanging there since the beginning of the effect. He slits it open and pulls out the sheet of paper. Unfolding it bit-by-bit, he reveals that it has a nearly identical drawing of the same animal in the same color, plus all the initials and names, also in their appropriate colors, just as seen on the wall.

Devin,

I'm glad to hear the effect is selling well. I'm even gladder to hear that there aren't many of them being made available!

--Josh
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Hi, I have ordered this, and still await its arrival here in the UK however I must just ask something of you Josho.

If there are no "staggering new principles or gimmicks here", that would suggest that the effect employs standard things, what exactly are we paying for? If it is just aroutine, then couldn't we have paid for a book with several ideas as oppsoe to a highesr cost for apparebtly nothign new?

I mean no disrespect at all by this, however I am concearned that I might have bought something which isn't new, and thus have wasted my money?

Of course I say this all blindly as I have not receieved it yet, and hoep to be pleasently suprised upon its arrival.

Just a thought.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Kennedy,

No disrespect taken at all.

Devin may have his own response. To my thinking, you are paying for the routining (and the variations) and for a large number of props, some of which are gimmicked and some of which aren't, of a size suitable for stage work (which is to say, LARGE). Plus you're paying for the convenience of having somebody else go out and find those items for you and prepare them correctly rather than having to locate and gimmick them yourself -- and possibly ruining some of them in the trial-and-error process.

I certainly agree that you could also have bought a book with a greater number of ideas for a lesser cost. But isn't that almost always the case with buying effects rather than books (or videos)? How often do you buy an effect and, having purchased it and opened the package, think, "I could never have constructed this myself if I'd only had the instructions"? I find that pretty rare. With a basic set of tools, if it's not fine furniture (like my Sefalajia box) or some sort of milled coin, I can probably build it myself...usually cheaper than what I'd pay for it...if I don't count my time as vaulable, I suppose!

Whether or not this effect is a value to you depends on so many factors. To me, one of the operative factors is always, "Is this routine available in a book?" If it's not (and to my knowledge, this one is not), and one wants it badly enough, then one has little choice but to pay for the props, or to simply beg the creator to put it in a book or video and be prepared to wait.

--Josh
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Hi Josh, thnak you for yur response.

I think value is based on its application to your real shows too. The way I always judge things, regardless of what the method actually is, is how I will use it, if I will use it and how often. The first time you use the prop it costs you say £200, the second time only £100, the third...and so on and so forth.

I think what worried me is that, having read the description, I could make an effect which did the same, however I thought "he's selling it so perhaps it is cleverer than my method, so I'll get it" and perhaps it will be more devious than the method I have come up with...However when I read that "there are no new principles" I thought that maybe, I was on to it.

Anyway, I'm an impatient person what can I say. It should be arriving today or tomorrow I hope.

Shall post then, and probably be haiiling Mr knight as a god-like figure.

Looking forward to it.

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Magicbuilder,

I sent you a PM regarding your tri-epic deluxe.

Thank you very much.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Kennedy,
Some of the methods are not new, but the advanced handlings and subtle bits are things you will NOT come up on your own. I only released this because I felt I had some new wrinkles on old methods and have combined them into a very commerical routine.
As Josh mentioned some of the parts are hard to find, especially the proper corkboard with the right border. You could spend a lot of time searching around for everything you need (even then you wouldn't have my advanced handlings). As Josh pointed out you get a lot of stuff including a special easel that will fold up and fit in your briefcase!
Considering everything you get with the outfit, properly made after much trial and error over the years, along with a professional routine that Josh referred to as PITCH PERFECT. When you consider all this some people say the outfit was priced too low.

Anyhow it is a very limited release and few people will have it. I think once you see the actual manuscript you will see the value of it just like you did with the Glass Box.

Devin Knight
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Why would Kenedy or anyone else not come up with these things on their own?

In Magic
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
I guest what Devin want to say when he mention advanced and they will Not come to the same conclusion, is more on a experience level than a intelectual one!

Maybe both! But his experience alone is most of the time worthed the lecture...And also, you must agree when you read is manuscript that he share the REAL deal everytime!

Did I read between the line correctly Devin?

If so, I am sorry to intruded this thread with my false answer!

Humbly

Kuffs
Magicman862
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincy, OH
385 Posts

Profile of Magicman862
Thanks josho for the description of grafitti
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
What I should clarify is that each person is different with different performance skills and background. My methods come from years of hands on work with these things. I have a very devious mind when it comes to mentalism. What I meant is that it is highly unlikely Kennedy would come up with the same handlings and subtle bits I have created, unless he has worked with the trick for a long time and thinks the way I do.

That is why I buy from other mentalists too, I don't think the way they do and it's highly unlikely I would come up with the same handlings they would. If everyone could come up with all this stuff on their own, there would be no need for dealers or inventors as we'd all think of it without somebody else.

Let's look at it this way. Highly unlikely 2 song writers will write the same song. Yes I know people reinvent the same tricks, but seldom do they reinvent the advance handlings and subtle bits unique to their mind. Hope that makes sense to everyone.

Devin Knight
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I want to clarify a few things about this release and what in my opinion makes it stand out. Some of my friends and mentors have had similar ideas, but they involved switching the envelope. In other methods the magician had to remove the prediction from the envelope,etc. Sure you may think of similar ways to create the same effect but consider these facts:

The Prediction Envelope is GIVEN to someone on stage (no stooge)to hold before the first choice is even revealed. There is no switch of the envelope and the magician NEVER touches it after it is given to person to hold.

That person opens the envelope and REMOVES the prediction. This is NOT possible with other methods.

Even with the Copperfield Graffiti Wall you can't let someone from the audience hold the envelope at the start before the choices are made. Also with the Copperfield trick HE HAS to REMOVE THE PREDICTION.

The fact that the SINGLE envelope is given to someone before the trick even starts has baffled many magicians.

Although I respect Josh's opinion, I have to humbly disagree with the there are no staggering new principles. The method I used to put the prediction in the hands of the audience before the trick begins is as far as I know original with me. I've shared this method with a few of my well versed mentors and they all agree this is a clever, new idea using an old principle. Many of the subtle techniques used in this (as far as I know and my mentor's agree) have never appeared in print before.

The single newspaper version which Josh mentions, too is an original idea that some of you will connect with Chess Gambit. I'm referring to the Bl*** in the Chess Gambit.

Respectfully,
Devin Knight
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Devin,

I don't think we're very far apart on this. I think Tri-Epic creates several never-before-accomplished results while relying on tried-and-true principles. Why anyone would see that as a problem is beyond me. In addition to the value of the routine and the props themselves, there are, as I've stated, brilliant touches and new thinking all throughout the effect. These not only put a new spin on those principles, but they're also (as in your other releases) almost like a set of tools with which one can improve a huge range of effects.

Anyone who questions the value of the effect based on the fact that the principles behind the routine are not new is, I would say, very much misguided. The fact is, this routine is a closer, as solid as a rock, and worth every penny for a working mentalist.

--Josh
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
As of today Hocus Pocus says they only have 1 left. When gone the Tri-Epic is off the market and no more to be made.

The good news is that release two in the KNIGHT MIND SERIES: In The News will be shipping in less than 2 weeks. Hocus Pocus will have a full description on their web site tomorrow, and be taking pre-sales with a special bonus for those who pre-order. In The New is the smaller cousin of Tri-Epic and has some features not possible with the larger model.
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
I just found that there is no more ad on Hocus-Pocus for this item...

I am so ****ed that I missed out on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the language, but I was very much wanting this item. I missed out on having the money for this by a few days (big payday on Friday).

Things have not been going my way lately...

ERRRRRRRR,

Paul h.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Sorry they are all gone and no more to be made. This will be a real collector's item for the 24 people who managed to get one. I can see used ones going on ebay down the road for an arm and a leg.
T. Eugene
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of T. Eugene
Hi Devin,
When we can see Release # 3 PUBLICITY HOAXES " Confessions of a Psychic Publicity Warrior "?
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Release #3 is going to have to go on hold for a while (I will explain in a moment) Release #4 Double Coincidence will be coming out after #2 IN THE NEWS.

Back to Release #3--although I have cartons of press clippings from stunts done as Jason Michaels, I am missing a valuable scrapbook I can't seem to locate. This contained almost 100 pages of clippings involving unique stunts done by me in the 1991-1993 as Devin Knight. I could release the book just with the Jason Michaels stuff (cause I want the clippings in the book to prove and back up there were done).
However the Devin Knight clippings contain some very clever clippings such as becoming invisible surrounded by people in a fire hall plus documented clippings proving (ala an Al Mann idea) that I was in two places at the same time doing a show.
This was explained in Al Mann's Invisible Men Book but as far as he knew I was the only person to actually pull off the idea.

So what I am saying is that although I could release the book with Jason Michaels material I want to see if I can find my missing scrapbook as the book will be greatly enhanced with the addition of the Knight Publicity which includes a rare front page story of reporters taking my picture at a headline prediction and when the pictures were developed I was gone but everyone else in the photo was still there! This made front page stories in several places and the story even was carried by several TV stations in New York State. I feel I would be doing an injustice to you guys and the book if this stuff isn't included.

If I can't find the scrapbook (which unless it was lost somewhere) then I will eventually release the material based on the Jason Michaels stunts (which are still impressive) but not as complete. I want this release to come out actually more than
any other as I would like all these hoaxes and stunts documented in one place. As for now the information would be lacking...so for now its on hold.

Devin Knight
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review: Tri-Epic Deluxe (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL