The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Abyss vs. Other versions of Coin thru Bottle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Why is it a downside? Lay audiences could care less if something is signed.

When you do, say the 20th Century Silk trick, NOBODY thinks it isn't the same silk.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
smartie_28
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of smartie_28
It sounds good, I'll have to check it out.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I suggested signing the bottle, and putting on the date after you get the coin in, and cap the bottle, so they can treat it like an artwork.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Pete, as always you make an excellent point. Jonathan, I think that signing the bottle for the spectator is a great idea. I know if something like this would have happend to me when I was younger the thing would be on my entertainment center. Plus this is better than letting them just keep a card..
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1257 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Corey,
Now that you mention it, why not have your card in the bottle also?
Hmmm. Might work. Or it might start them thinking. Have to think about that. Must be a way to get your card involved.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
My impression re Abyss.
It's a *trick* that impresses on the demo, but isn't IMHO prarctical at all to perform.
I love practical methods, so I won't do it..
The classical method is still the best and most powerfull one, the only diff. to the specs is that using the classical method, you can't hand out the bottle as a souvenier, and to do so, is a VERY strong point.
OTOH, you are limmited to a certain kind of bottle to do Abyss, that way..

Here is what I dislike.

*Abyss* looks great on a demo, but the *clean-up* after the coin has appeared in the bottle is a weak point, the bottle can't be handled out immediately to a spec before some *inside* clean-up is done, and that clean-up is a weak point, especially if there was cola/whatever fluid inside the bottle that not yet has dryed up, so I would call that solution not at all practical so I won't perform it, but I might think about versions not needing that inside *clean-up*..

That weak point is eliminated when using certain Canadian coins however.
Still, I don't consider it a practical solution..it's one of those *tricks of the trade* that sounds good and that even a demo can get to look good, as demo doesn't show the whole scenary to run through when performing IRL..
Just my own view on this.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Had great reactions today to the cap in bottle. Have a list of guys wanting to buy from me Friday at the Castle lunch...
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
247 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
Instead of Ultimate this and Ultimate that using gimmicks and blah blah blah, does anyone just do the old coin through glass where one hand is holding the glass by its mouth, horizontally and the other hand takes the coin which can be signed and apparently penetrates the bottom of the glass using just a simple toss ?
Yes, there's a little knack to getting it down but it's 100% totally impromptu and looks good when done correctly.
I know it's not the coin in bottle effect.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-23 03:05, Matt Morell wrote:
Instead of Ultimate this and Ultimate that using gimmicks and blah blah blah, does anyone just do the old coin through glass where one hand is holding the glass by its mouth, horizontally and the other hand takes the coin which can be signed and apparently penetrates the bottom of the glass using just a simple toss ?
I like it, unfortunately I don't do it (one can't do it all Smile )..
First time a very good handling was described by Ross Bertram in Harry Stanleys *Gen*, and later in Ross' own book.

Re *Coin in bottle*.

One of the strong points actually is that one normally -using the classical method- has spectator involvment!
The spec is holding the bottle himself and so is *engaged*..this actually counts a LOT!
And exactly this is what is not possible when doing *Abyss*, another point to remember, but, as mentioned, to give the bottle out later, is a very strong point, I have to admit..the thingy is just not practical, compared to the classical method Smile

slangers
View Profile
New user
Denmark
86 Posts

Profile of slangers
Well I cant see why The Abyss shouldnt be practical ?
You can use your own method of getting the coin the the bottle, like I have because I want to use the bottles that are most normal in Denmark.
And then just use The Abyss gimmick for the performance.
That is very practical, like most of the products from the enchanment. Smile
Maybe I cant prepare the bottle in front of the spectators, but it takes 10 sec. for myself on the toilet or so. and I can even fill the bottle up with water afterwards, put it in a corner, and then later in my impromptu show take it, and empty it like a completely normal bottle. Maybe not impromptu, but make it seem like that for the spectators, and you are almost ready, with some slight preperation. And then when the day comes, and a spectator just gives you a bottle and says: "Do that cool thing with the coin". Have your other coin gimmick ready Smile You cant give the bottle away then, but they don't care if they have seen you perform it before, as they think its just the same thing again.
Of course people can have other opinions, but that's what I think about The Abyss Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-23 01:54, Pete Biro wrote:
Had great reactions today to the cap in bottle. Have a list of guys wanting to buy from me Friday at the Castle lunch...

Feel free to sign the bottle and send it to me with the cap still inside.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-23 07:44, slangers wrote:
Well I cant see why The Abyss shouldnt be practical ?
Well, that can always get discussed.. Smile
Max Malini would have loved it!!!
He often prepared in advance weeks or month before a *show* at a private home f.ex.

Thing is just, that present day performing conditions have changed since the days of Max Malini, or 'magicians' aren't that good in using Max' methods..

Nothing wrong with Abyss, if one wants to go through all the trouble..
All the trouble?

Well, first of all, have the gimmicks ready at a safe place..that's not different from the good ol' method though.

Next/second is to be at a place where they have a suitable bottle, to not bring ones own, that isn't a problem with the good ol' method.

Third, to prepare the bottle, to have the needed tool with you -which is quite a heavy one to carry in a pocket!!! f.ex. - to do the preparation, that neither is needed for the good ol' method.

Fourth, to store the (prepared) bottle at a place where nobody does snatch it, throw it away/out in the grabage can..that might be a problem Smile , neither a problem with the good ol' method.

Fifth, the handling of the bottle itselfe, the spec can't hold it, neither a problem with the good ol' method..

I could go on with 2 or 3 more points at least, but I think the above points it out..

What then is the advantage of Abyss?

There is one.. the bottle (plastic only) can get given out as a souvenier..that's a BIG advantage the good ol' method doesn't have.

Still, to the performer wanting to do a routine anywhere/anytime, spontaniously, the good ol' method does beat Abyss, re practicability, one only has to have *ones* gimmick at hand, nothing else.. any bottle available can be used, the spec gets involved holding the bottle, aso.

That is what I call the diff. between a practical solution and a not so practical one..

Compare again the 5 points I mentioned and then still tell me it is a practical method Smile
Quote:
On 2005-06-23 07:53, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Collecting autographs Jon? Smile

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-23 09:01, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-06-23 07:53, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Collecting autographs Jon? Smile

Nope, but if he's giving away those bottlecaps the way you can give away the quarter and bottle with the Abyss... seems foolish NOT to take him up on the offer.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-23 09:41, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Nope, but if he's giving away those bottlecaps the way you can give away the quarter and bottle with the Abyss... seems foolish NOT to take him up on the offer.
Sure, but are bottlecaps anything worth?
Quarters are OK Smile
Though some bottles here in DK have a return price of approx. half a dollar..not bad..maybe its a way to get rich..I'll reconsider Smile
When Michael Jackson is doing Abyss and signing the bottle, I'll ask for one too Smile

zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
As for the classical method, where can we learn it?

As mentioned, for Abyss, after the coin is in the bottle, we need to do some "clean up" before the pop bottle can be handed out for examinination. Is the clean up difficult? How long will it take? Do we need to turn our back to the spectator and do the clean up? Or can we clean up in front of spectator? If cleaning up in front of spectator is not possible, how would you proceed with clean up so as not to raise the suspicion of the spectator?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-23 11:33, zhuanan wrote:
As for the classical method, where can we learn it?...

One is well advised to spend some time reading the classic texts of our craft. In general, there are the "Professor Hoffmann" books and Downs's book The Art of Magic. One can then quickly move on to such works as J. B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and perhaps Kaufman's CoinMagic.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Zhuana, The clean up takes just a second. It is not hard at all.
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
If the clean up takes just a second, wouldn't this effect be very practical in terms of cleaning up?
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
It is, clean up takes place at the point of showing that the coin cannot come out of the bottle.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Townsend. What's your mailing address?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Abyss vs. Other versions of Coin thru Bottle (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL