The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Fixing internal system folding coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daaaave
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of daaaave
Hi,

I recently bought an Australian 20c folding coin from Tango Magic which has an internal system for the elastic thread. It broke the other day and when trying to replace it, part of the broken thread got stuck inside the internal groove and now seems impossible to remove. Does anyone know of some way to get the thread out or is my folding coin unfixable?

Thanks

Dave
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Off the top of my head...

Canned air

A pin, bent appropriately to stab the elastic and remove it.

Very small tweezers

Call the manufacturer and ask what for the recommended fix... If it happened to you, chances are very good that it's happened before.

Best of luck,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Try using a needle or a safety pin to poke out the stuck elastic.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
daaaave
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of daaaave
Hey guys,

Thanks for those suggestions. I tried most of them but still had no luck getting it out so I'm just going to return it to the shop tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks

Dave

Update: June 27 2005

I returned it to the shop on the weekend and the owner, after 20 minutes, managed to remove 2 small pieces of elastic that were caught in the groove, so I guess I just gave up too early when trying it myself.

Thanks for all the help.

Dave
katsoris
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of katsoris
Try some ooil and you will solve the problem after 1 h.
Takis
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Maybe put it in the microwave for a few seconds....
"Illusion is the first of all pleasures."
Oscar Wilde

"If you only knew the hours I spent just thinking about practicing"
-The Amazing Jonathan
Marcelo Insua
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Marcelo Insua
Hello friends, I am the owner of Tango Magic and the inventor of the internal system for the folding coins.
We send a very fine wire with every folding, to clean the internal grooves when an elastic is inside.
When the elastic cuts, it is very important to take out it slowly with the wire, many magicians throw of one of their tips and it is as well as the elastic breaks and it is a piece inside.
I'm here to help you, sorry for my English, please write me in basic English.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Hi daaaaaave, you were lucky!

I had a 20c folding coin and the same thing happened. The elastic broke and some of it stick inside the groove. I used the little wire they supply but it didn't get the elastic out.

In the end I sent it back to the magic shop.

That was ... hmmm MARCH last year.

On April 19 he emailed me - "Tim, I will be replacing it with a new one. Tango are proving very unreliable. I expect the folder in a week or so."

May 16 - "I got some single folders but they made them with obscure backed 20s, not the standard design I had asked for. Have mailed off some more coins this week."

Sep 3 - "Nope, They just informed me that yet again the coins I mailed have been lost (stolen). This has apparently happened to other stores as well. I sent a new lot on Friday by recorded delivery so I will have to hope that they arrive this time."

I'm still waiting!
caubeck
View Profile
Veteran user
395 Posts

Profile of caubeck
It may be a coincidence, but the magic shop I use in Spain has spoken to me in the past about Tango deliveries going missing in transit.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Any comments Marcelo?
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
Isn't the internal band idea in Bobo's? (Hint: the answer is yes, in the second trick coin section of the hardback book)
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I would appreciate some help on this please if anyone has one of these coins. I just bought one second hand. It arrived this morning and after one use broke. No instructions are included so if anyone has info onhow to change this I would appreciate it please. It works very differently to my old Peter Crush perfect folder.

Bri
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Panic over, I got it... There was a tiny piece of **** stuck in the edge.
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
278 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Can anyone compare a traditional folding coin to this internal system? Are there other folding halves and quarters made with the internal. I haven't been able to find any good reviews of reliability, function, invisibility of the seams, etc. Thanks!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6680 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I'm thinkin'...maybe we put too much emphasis on these details. I've used a Johnson folding quarter and half since the 70's. Never been called on it. You can still get a Johnson for $12.50! The $30 Tango Coin has that internal system, which is good, but you see the problems...hey, it can get the same way with a Johnson!

After twenty years, the bands dried out. You would not believe the time I had cleaning those! The traditional Johnson is still great! I think Tango has kicked it up a notch with theirs. It's all a matter of taste. Today, I'd get the Tango in a heartbeat. Honestly though...it don't really matter...

Doug
KentCarter
View Profile
New user
Singapore
3 Posts

Profile of KentCarter
I had the same problem (something stuck inside one of the pieces of a Tango internal system folding coin). After trying just about everything else, I just held the piece in a pair of needlenose pliers over a gas flame for about 10 seconds. That did the trick - the wire provided with the coin for cleaning it shot right thru and pushed out the debris. There was no damage or discoloration of the coin piece at all. But, I was using a US 50c coin so not sure this would be the case with other coins that might be made of different metal.

I now have another problem though - the replacement elastic thread provided with the coin has aged and now snaps easily. Does anyone know where to get this type of thread? I've tried various craft/hobby shops without any luck.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
You can get it from any Murphy's Magic dealer . It's surprisingly cheap , and is very durable .

http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=54908
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1943 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On May 18, 2016, Magician560 wrote:
You can get it from any Murphy's Magic dealer . It's surprisingly cheap , and is very durable .

http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=54908

Even cheaper:

http://www.joann.com/stretch-magic-5mm-b......473.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Fixing internal system folding coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL