The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Magic shops in Vancouver? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
This is probably the wrong place for this one, but the shops thread has now been removed. Going to Vancouver later this Summer. Any useful shops there?
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Hitmouse,

I'm not sure if you mean Vancouver, Washington or Vancouver B.C but here's some places to visit in Vancouver B.C

There's a magic shop located on Granville Island - great place to visit as you may catch a comedy fest or other attractions there. One year I was there and Gazzo made an appearance at the Comedy Fest. The name of the magic shop escapes me at this moment ...Papa Ricks..Papa Johns..something like that. Lots of gag stuff but they have a few good magic items. The magician whom works the counter, "Joe" has been there for years and is extremely talented and knowledgable.

Another magic shop is located in Metrotown called Gizzmo's. The counters are manned by talented local magicians most belong to Ring 92. Metrotown is a huge mega mall and it's easy to spend a couple days just visiting all the stores.

If you make it to Vancouver Island, be sure to check out Tony's Trick and Joke Shop, Tony and his daughter Julie are both award winning magicians and Tony was the IBM Territorial Pres. Very friendly and personable and you'll enjoy visiting his shop.

Depending on when you visit - there's many magicians that are members of the VMC (Vancouver Magic Circle) that visit the Café and perhaps you can get an invitation to visit one of the Ring meetings. The VMC has a membership of 120 magicians,IBM ring 92, in case you want to check out any upcoming events. Just give them a call as they are a friendly group.

Hope that helps.

Chrystal
hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
Hi Chrystal,
Thanks for your detailed reply. That is very helpful.
I do mean Vancouver BC. I was not aware that there was a Vancouver in Washington. Obviously missed that geography lesson. I was also interested to find out that there is a Dallas in Texas (rather than the one-pub village in Scotland), and that Calgary is a well-known town in Canada, not just a rainy port on the island of Mull, where I once spent a damp Easter holiday.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Again,

You're very welcome. When will you be visiting Vancouver? -they hold an annual 3 day convention which is always worth attending.

Ah didn't realize there existed another Calgary! I know there's two Paris's. Paris France and Paris, Texas. Probably lots of other places around the world that share the same names too - would make for an interesting post.

C
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Chrystal,

Is there a magic shop within walking distance of the cruise ship piers?

I will be there on July 2, for about 3 hours before the ship sails.

Thanks,

Big Jeff
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Big Jeff and HitMouse,

Here's a site you'll find extremely helpful when you arrive to Vancouver.
http://www3.telus.net/cruise_watch/info.htm

Big Jeff :The only one that is a possibility of visiting is located on Granville Island, the others will be too far away.I wouldn't take public transit but a cab just to be on the safe side, especially concerning the small window of time you have. You can also log on this site http://www.mytelus.com
Click the left hand side, green area of the page: for maps and aprox destination times to places you want to visit and can print out before your arrival.

To those of you attending this years PCAM (Pacific Coast Association of Magicians) convention, you'll find the first site I've mentioned helpful. This years convention will be held aboard a cruise ship from Vancouver to LA, Sept 24th.

Have fun!
Chrystal
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

Just revived this post as I just heard moments ago that Gizzmo's one of the shops I suggested is closing it's doors next week. I'm sorry to hear about that.

C
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Quote:
On 2005-06-17 06:09, Chrystal wrote:
Hi Hitmouse,

I'm not sure if you mean Vancouver, Washington or Vancouver B.C but here's some places to visit in Vancouver B.C

There's a magic shop located on Granville Island - great place to visit as you may catch a comedy fest or other attractions there. One year I was there and Gazzo made an appearance at the Comedy Fest. The name of the magic shop escapes me at this moment ...Papa Ricks..Papa Johns..something like that. Lots of gag stuff but they have a few good magic items. The magician whom works the counter, "Joe" has been there for years and is extremely talented and knowledgable.

Another magic shop is located in Metrotown called Gizzmo's. The counters are manned by talented local magicians most belong to Ring 92. Metrotown is a huge mega mall and it's easy to spend a couple days just visiting all the stores.

If you make it to Vancouver Island, be sure to check out Tony's Trick and Joke Shop, Tony and his daughter Julie are both award winning magicians and Tony was the IBM Territorial Pres. Very friendly and personable and you'll enjoy visiting his shop.

Depending on when you visit - there's many magicians that are members of the VMC (Vancouver Magic Circle) that visit the Café and perhaps you can get an invitation to visit one of the Ring meetings. The VMC has a membership of 120 magicians,IBM ring 92, in case you want to check out any upcoming events. Just give them a call as they are a friendly group.

Hope that helps.

Chrystal

Just would like to add to this post.
The shop in Granville Island is called "Clownin Around." I have no idea where "Papa Joes" or "Papa Ricks" came from...
And yes Gizmoz has closed in its original location, but has moved to a different location in Metrowtown.

P.S. If you visit Joe at Clownin Around, tell him Chris said hi!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Magic shops in Vancouver? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL