The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Recent California Earthquakes -- Is the "Big One" Coming? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
For those of us living in California (especially here in southern California), this past week has brought three large earthquakes.

Last Sunday morning, there was a 5.2 earthquake about 60 miles NE of San Diego, CA that was felt all over southern California including Los Angeles.

Tuesday evening there was a 7.0 earthquake about 90 miles off the northern California coast.

And just today there was a 4.9 earthquake in Los Angeles that again was felt all over southern California including here in San Diego.

This amount of large earthquakes within one week is unprecedented in California. Some are saying that these three large quakes are "foreshocks" to the dreaded "Big One" on the southern portion of the San Andreas Fault (which hasn't ruptured since the early 1800s). The "Big One" would be an earthquake of 8.0 or higher.

Any thoughts (especially from other southern California magi)?
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2323 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Wow, just heard this morning that you have had another just last night. 6.6 on the scale!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
No damage...no injuries.

They could also be saving us from a big one...relieveing the pressure.

All this has done so far is get people outside of California smuggly satisfied that they live elsewhere...as if a little movement of a chair is equal to Killer Tornadoes or Frequent Killer Hurricanes...not.

We'll have one someday I'm sure...we'll also have an Asteroid impact...there are other things to worry about though that are not region specific other than the US being a target.

Earth: Rock on!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
Did anyone notice these quakes started after Michael Jackson was aquitted?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The real "big one" in Los Angles isn't supposed to come till 2010. This prediction has all the precision and accuracy of any other. I was in the movie theater watching Batman when one hit. It wasn't so bad. The movie was so good, that while a lot of people looked around (I looked up top see if anthing would fall) no one gasped or said a word.

Having survived the las "Big one" in 1993, and knowing friends who lost nearly all, I am not looking forward to the next one. I am hoping since the tornado touched down in my front yard at christmas, that I am protected for right now!
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
So polish up your surf board and get ready to ride it to, say Denver when the Big one DOES hit?

seriously, I'm glad to hear that there was no damage and that everyone's okay!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
But it is a catastrophe waiting to happen!

Howard
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2756 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-06-17 09:53, Doug Higley wrote:
No damage...no injuries.

They could also be saving us from a big one...relieveing the pressure.

All this has done so far is get people outside of California smuggly satisfied that they live elsewhere...as if a little movement of a chair is equal to Killer Tornadoes or Frequent Killer Hurricanes...not.

We'll have one someday I'm sure...we'll also have an Asteroid impact...there are other things to worry about though that are not region specific other than the US being a target.

Earth: Rock on!

I'm beginning to think that New England, as much as I dislike it, is the only statistically safe place in America to live! Very few hurricaines, tornadoes or earthquakes.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Hey mandrake01, I've been thinking the same thing. I'm glad I live in New England, so far the Berkshires has been a safe place.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Me? I'm glad I live in the Original England.LoL

Howard
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
Having grown up in Rhode Island and now living in Los Angeles, let me tell you, I'll take the occasional earthquake and near-constant sunshine over non-shaky ground and miserable winters.

And here's a good answer to the "Is the Big One coming?" question.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/faq/myths.html#8
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
John..I wonder how nay people said that when they went to Thailand last Christmas to escape the miserable weather?

howard
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
Quote:
On 2005-06-22 15:44, hkwiles wrote:
John..I wonder how nay people said that when they went to Thailand last Christmas to escape the miserable weather?

howard

Well, in fairness, the actual WEATHER was quite nice. Just a bit too much water.....
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2756 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-06-22 14:47, johnlamberti wrote:
Having grown up in Rhode Island and now living in Los Angeles, let me tell you, I'll take the occasional earthquake and near-constant sunshine over non-shaky ground and miserable winters.

And here's a good answer to the "Is the Big One coming?" question.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/faq/myths.html#8

I was in New York eight years and finally burned out. I had to choose between Rhode Island or Los Angeles. I think I made the right choice, but I understand your position as well. (I used to live in Oxnard for a few years... it was a tough call to make!)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Actually, New England may not fair any better if that island in the Atlantic does the Big Split as they are predicting. If that puppy goes, the tidal wave will hit the East Coast topping out at an estimated 150 feet tall. At that point, people will be surfing to Louisville!

Scary!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Actually Lee, that Big one you are talking about, following the destruction of the Spanish Island La Palma, will be quite tall and totally disasterous. The good news is it only reaches 12 miles in land. In a place like New York City, with everyone so compacted, an 8 hour head start is nothing. Evacuatiing that city will fail. Most of new england (except maybe Boston) should be able to get out of the way.

The best news is that it may not happen for another 1000 years or more!
Magic is like Science,
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6429 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-06-24 09:52, Cliffg37 wrote:
Actually Lee, that Big one you are talking about, following the destruction of the Spanish Island La Palma, will be quite tall and totally disasterous. The good news is it only reaches 12 miles in land. In a place like New York City, with everyone so compacted, an 8 hour head start is nothing. Evacuatiing that city will fail. Most of new england (except maybe Boston) should be able to get out of the way.

The best news is that it may not happen for another 1000 years or more!

Yah! New York, my hometown, will be around for a 1000 years!! And the same hot dogs will be in that cart water the whole time! Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hey.... don't bad mouth the dogs, I was raised on those dogs! and don't forget the mustard!
Magic is like Science,
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Oddly, the first quake I ever felt was in Buffalo, NY. as a little kid, about 1944. Now I live in San Diego...<G>
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Just a thought but I have heard the major cause of death is living. Do not worry too much, as you cant stop it and worrying can bring it on.

Me
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Recent California Earthquakes -- Is the "Big One" Coming? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL