The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Professionalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Ok, maybe I am alone on this, And its probally also because of the way I was brought up in the wrestling business. IMO when you see a peer of any kind be it a magician for example it is very unprofessional to "Mark" out. I can't count the times that I have seen magicians go up to other magicians and ask for autographs and hover around these people like crap out gold nuggets. Or some of the younger guys will follow these guys around and try to get them to watch them do a trick. Like I said, this is probally just me. But I would like to get the opinions from others on this board.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I understand what you're saying and perhaps a little brown nosing goes on during times a "name" walks amongst a group of magicians. Lets not forget however, as magicians most (Yes, and they'll admit to it) love attention and recognition from their peers.

Perhaps, it can be annoying at times, expecially if they too want to relax with friends at conventions and are constantly interrupted with "can you have a look at this and tell me what you think?" To the person asking, it's just one request. To the person being asked..it may be one of dozen request that occur throughout the evening.

I think the happy medium is to be polite, ask if it's an appropriate time,(you guys know when it's appropriate and meal times are not) and would the magician be agreeable to giving them feedback at a convient time. If the magician seeks them out at a later time, then they were interested in helping out. Magicians are like anyone else, some are more prone to giving advice.

I always think of this when I attend meetings ..and it may be a bit off topic, but the kids that may be underfoot at conventions, can some day be the stars of tomorrow. You never know. The person seated next to you - quiet and unassuming may be an expert at magic but not necessarily known to the magic community. I personally treat everyone the same..whether they are names or not. It's just nice to share- it's a lesson I even learned back in kindergarden. :O)

Chrystal
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I understand where you are comming from Chrystal. I am guilty of asking opinions on effects and what not of other magicians. It just to me seems like that when there is a lecture in town there is about 3-5 guys just hovering over who ever is doing the lecture. It just drives me nuts.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Perhaps being well-known has its price too? This probably happens in any professionson of the industries that produce fans and followers. But you are certainly not alone when you see your fav. magician(s) being mobed. I'd be embrassed by the behaviors of the fans if the magician had made any indications of "please not now."
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
"I personally treat everyone the same...."

I wouldn't have expected anything else from you Chrystal. LoL

Oh..and in your case LoL means Lots of Love

Howard
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Howard!

>>blushes and shuffles feet

Good seeing you again and thanks for putting a smile on my face reading your post. :O)

I remember the very first magic meeting/lecture I ever attended. I was made to feel comfortable by everyone but one old fellow in particular was genuinely friendly and answered all my questions. He relayed the following story to me. Many years previously, he had a tv show back East that ran for several years. One youngster never left his side whenever he would appear at his magic meetings and always "pestered him". This old fellow said this in an affectionate way and bemused manner and didn't seem at all bothered by it, when telling the story. In fact, he took the time to always listen to the 13 year old and finally allowed him to perform on his tv show when he felt he was ready. Turned out the "youngster" was named Doug Henning. Repaying the favor many years later, Henning had this old timer on HIS show.

Chrystal
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
And there is a perfect example of "what goes around comes around"

Nice to see ya Chrystal! only one month to go and I finally jack work in !!

Well oficially anyway..but they want me to stay on....so I will..til "I can't take it any more". Vinny says "Pack it in !! You can't buy time"

cheers
Howard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Professionalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL