The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The pitch... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
I am considering setting up a table at a haunters convention
to sell t-shirts and items from Alchemy Gothic (some interesting
items for bizarrists, by the way). It seems like bizarre magic
would be a perfect fit here. While I have performed on stage and
in what would probably best be called a parlour environment, I have
never done anything quite like this. Any tips from those who have/do?

Dave
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
PT,
Magick is a wonderful way to get people to crowd around the booth.
Don't be afraid to call out to everyone and ask them over. I believe I would use a little of the sideshow fare to get their attention. Make the first effect a good one! Once the astonishment sets in you will have them eating out of your hands. I am sure you will have a great time! Do you know what effects you will be using?

Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
427 Posts

Profile of Seance
PT,

Use tarot effects and quick readings in between shoutouts (or hawking your wares). You can use some of Alchemy Gothic's items to hold loaded papers, small pictures, etc.

Females purchase Alchemy Gothic items more than men, so tarot and readings are readily appealing to them.

Of course, you know the effects have to be quick (almost street magic like). I'd time each of the effects at no more than five or seven minutes. Use your sales pitch in between effects.

Good luck!
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
Rope someone in to help with sales while you are busy performing and to keep an eye on stock "shrinkage" if you have a big crowd. magi aren't the only ones to use misdirection for devious purposes.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Rope, that is a good addition!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
The classic pitches offer incredible value not found elsewhere and but-wait-there's more freebies.

If you are doing your job your booth will be too busy for actual readings most of the time. Why not give away free cartomancy fortunes? Ours have a miniature playing card, a fortune based on that card, all attractively wrapped in handmade paper and tied with yarn. They are only $1! Everybody wants one. Since the convention is for haunters, you can make these look creepier than you would for a regular carnival. Why not set up a fortune teller booth with a skeletal gypsy? The skeleton could hold a bowl with free fortunes, or you could charge people to pick one. The booth just has to look good, it doesn't need motion or lights.

You could also give away tickets for a free palm reading with any purchase. Ours look great; we used heavy black paper for scrapbookers stamped in gold ink with a palmistry design from Rubber Baby Bugger Bumpers:

http://www.rubberbaby.com

Give them the palm reading ticket and tell them to stop by when the booth isn't busy. When folks see you doing palm readings you'll always be busy!

Of course, during those slow times when you are doing palm readings, you can slide right into a bizarre effect, which is best for a few people anyway. The tales that they tell will bring the crowds!

Knock 'em dead! Oh, I guess at that show, some of them start that way...

Yours,

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The pitch... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL