The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Which came first, the chicken or the egg? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
What the hell is the matter with you guys!!!!

When a tree falls there are vibrational waves that travel out...if there is not an ear or other receptor to translate those waves into a sound, there is no sound!

Geesh! I have to explain everything!

:)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2005-06-21 16:58, Doug Higley wrote:
What the hell is the matter with you guys!!!!

When a tree falls there are vibrational waves that travel out...if there is not an ear or other receptor to translate those waves into a sound, there is no sound!

Geesh! I have to explain everything!

:)

Does the tree hit the chicken ot he egg first? Do either make a sound? huh??
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Speaking of Eggs, do you guys really know you are eating cooked embroy? And some have issues about mouth coils!
Dennis Michael
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The egg when struck by the tree sends out a vibrating wave which when striking the Chicken's ear is heard as a crunchy thingy...that's if the chicken had not been crunched first (being taller than the egg)..thus the sound that was heard was heard ONLY by the the chicken of its own back being broken and not of the egg...then....once again silence...but only silence if there was something there to percieve it as such...but alas...only thing present was just an earless lizard who did percieve the vibrations but was too busy taking a bite out of the chicken...which to an earless lizard tastes like Iguana.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
And the chicken crossed the road to hold his pants up.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Ah, But what if the chicken egg already posessed a soul? Could that soul not hear? And as the tree would be falling at less than the speed of sound, would the chicken egg soul not hear the impending tree falling thing?

Also, Would an earless lizard be that much of an anomally? I happen to raise several lizards and have yet to find one with ears. I would really like to see an "eared lizard". However they do have apperatus that function similarly to ears. So perhaps as I wax philisophic/ridiculous I will retire to my cell in thought.

As I re read this post I believe I also need a dictionary so that I can spell things better. However as I am also lazy I will do this later.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
...then, of course, there is the "Chicken from Outer Space" theory...
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Wait I'm confused lol
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Sound 1 (sound)
n.
a. Vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, with frequencies in the approximate range of 20 to 20,000 hertz, capable of being detected by human organs of hearing.
b. Transmitted vibrations of any frequency.
c. The sensation stimulated in the organs of hearing by such vibrations in the air or other medium.
d. Such sensations considered as a group.
2. A distinctive noise: a hollow sound.
3. The distance over which something can be heard: within sound of my voice.
4. Linguistics
a. An articulation made by the vocal apparatus: a vowel sound.
b. The distinctive character of such an articulation: The words bear and bare have the same sound.
5. A mental impression; an implication: didn't like the sound of the invitation.
6. Auditory material that is recorded, as for a movie.
7. Meaningless noise.
8. Music A distinctive style, as of an orchestra or a singer.
9. Archaic Rumor; report.
-- Source -- http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sound

So, under certain forms of the definition, the receptor is unnecessary, specifically in physics a receptor is NOT necessary. The necessity is that the vibrations are capable of being detected. Sounds above the 20,000 hertz range are generally referred to as ultra-sounds, and below the 20 hertz range are infra-sounds, both of which can still have an effect on objects and organisms, even if they cannot be heard, per se, by humans.

Sounds, as such, by definition, do not need to be heard, according to the dictionary, to be considered sound, merely generated.

Quod Erat Demonstratum.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
"So, under certain forms of the definition, the receptor is unnecessary, specifically in physics a receptor is NOT necessary. The necessity is that the vibrations are capable of being detected."

Bogus.

Then water is not water but ICE waiting for the proper temperature...or a Steak is really just Meatballs waiting to be ground and rolled up.

Sound is the 'result' of the interuption of the waves by a receptor if the waves are within spec of said receptor. Outside of that spec they are still just a wave untill 'recieved' or dissipate (if they do).

Josh: Earless lizards are those who like legless lizards have no balls. OR...The term 'Earless Lizard' was developed for better understanding by those noodles who YELL at snakes to 'Go Away!'
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Chick: "Mama, am I a people?"

Hen: "No, honey, you're a chicken."

Chick: "Where do chickens come from, Mama?"

Hen: "Chickens come from eggs."

Chick: "And where do eggs come from, Mama?"

Hen: "Eggs are laid."

Chick: "Are all eggs laid, Mama?"

Hen: "Yes, honey, all eggs are laid."

Chick: "Are all people laid, Mama?"

Hen: "No, some people are chicken."
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Smile This thred is getting better and better! Smile
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:

Josh: Earless lizards are those who like legless lizards have no balls. OR...The term 'Earless Lizard' was developed for better understanding by those noodles who YELL at snakes to 'Go Away!'

I love it. But speaking scientifically, most of the time when you are in dangered by a snake if you let them bite you a few times they tire out and leave on their own. Usually this works with the venomous types best. As for the large constrictors, once they digest you they pretty much forget about you. So I can see no reason for yelling at a snake.

Also you are correct about the underside equipment of those lizards..... they have hemipenes rather than...well you know.... similar to that of snakes. and so therefore it is obvious that the sound, at least came before the chicken.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
OMG I'm on a roll with old posts!!!

I used to do this bit in my show before:

after producing an egg, I would ask the audience the question "which came first the chicken or the egg?" and they would have their own say, then id follow it up with "to end the age old debate, I will now give you the answer..." its the... egg!!!" "and where did the egg come from?" "from the egg-plant!" at the same time I whip out a potted plant with eggs hanging from it. some would find it corny, but most of the time the really smart people will get it. and id get a lot of laughs ;-)

I can honestly say that I had thought of this gag and prop by myself without any outside influence. but I'm not so sure if I am the only one in the world who had though of it, as crazy people sometimes think alike, so I don't want to make any claims. someone crazy guy out there might sue me for doing so. but I have stopped doing it 'cause somebody here in the philippines copied my dumb gag. CURSES!!! :-(
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Speaking of Inteeligent design...if all is too complicated to have just 'happened'...then the 'Designer' must also be rather complicated and coul;d not have just 'happened'...so who/what designed the 'Designer'?

On the other hand...

The question is not the Big Bang but what set it off?

The other question as long as we are thinking such thoughts...is when life begins not nearly as important as when it ends?
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
The answer is obvious, it's the chicken.
But it's all the other tangents and side issues that are most interesting here!
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
My Father maintained, all the way to his grave, it is the Chicken.

He was an old Farmer, and said "everytime I wanted to have breakfast, I had to lift the chickens *** and get the egg!"

real time logic, I s'ppose.

RIP Daddy!
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Still no consensus?
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Gede...your dad's 'real time' answer is the only one that counts anyway...I don't eat theory either.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
You guys all have yet to accept the truth. There is no chicken.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Which came first, the chicken or the egg? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL