We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Which came first, the chicken or the egg? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2005-10-12 11:52, magicmanila wrote:
OMG I'm on a roll with old posts!!!

I used to do this bit in my show before:

after producing an egg, I would ask the audience the question "which came first the chicken or the egg?" and they would have their own say, then id follow it up with "to end the age old debate, I will now give you the answer..." its the... egg!!!" "and where did the egg come from?" "from the egg-plant!" at the same time I whip out a potted plant with eggs hanging from it. some would find it corny, but most of the time the really smart people will get it. and id get a lot of laughs ;-)

I can honestly say that I had thought of this gag and prop by myself without any outside influence. but I'm not so sure if I am the only one in the world who had though of it, as crazy people sometimes think alike, so I don't want to make any claims. someone crazy guy out there might sue me for doing so. but I have stopped doing it 'cause somebody here in the philippines copied my dumb gag. CURSES!!! :-(

If you have a snall radio, tuned to a "dead" station, when you produce the "egg plant" you can turn it on and say, "Well, all I get is a bunch of EGG STATIC people when I do this joke!" as they listen to the static coming from the plant....

An old joke that I jsed to use...

Long Live the Great and All-Powerful Spaghetti Monster!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
Sound is a question of physics. So is light. About a mile under the see live organisms that have adapted to a no light environment. That does not mean light doesn't exsist. It is just not important to them because they've adapted. Yet their entire existance is based on the sunlight a mile up that builds up an ecosystem for all to exsist.

An earless lizard does sense the vibrations that sound produces and percieves sound in it own way . Cobras feel the vibrations of the snake charmers flute even though they cant hear his rendition of California Dreams by the Mamas and the Papas.

For the chicken and egg question I have to ask this question. Where does salmonela fit into all this? Did it hit the egg first or the chicken?

Miguel Rangel
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-06-18 23:11, Jeremy L. wrote:
To be more specific:

Which came first, the chicken or chicken egg?

Something that was not yet fully a chicken laid a mutated egg which was a chicken egg. So the egg came first.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Bunch of comedians... you guys are hilarious
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Chicken turns to his friend and says; "Hey! I think I'm gonna cross that road over there!"

His friend responds; "Don't do it, Harry! We'll never hear the end of it!"

:rotf:
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1297 Posts

Profile of nucinud
The truth is that the Rooster came first.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27087 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ultimately what we know depends upon what we decide to believe. The difference between what is logical and what is true depends upon what you can measure.

How do you know "this" is a chicken egg?
How do you know "that" is a chicken?

When you have those two answers, the earlier question becomes more interesting.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Influenza came first and its coming again. Asia and now eastern europe are now prone to avian influenza.
The main scare is that the avian influenza will cross fertilize with a human influenza and create a hybrid influenza.

You think this is far fetched? YOU FOOLS!!!!!!!!!

The influenza virus can mutate several times within a population in the space of 30 days given the right resources.
Like it took us 10,000 years to make basic tools, it takes influenza viri 10,000 minutes to make the same amount of genetic permutations.
If one person that has a simple influenza infection gets infected by a second virus from avians, then there is a high chance that a permutation of a resistant hybrid influenza will be generated.

The conclusion is that the chicken came before the egg. The chicken evolved egg production as a form of embriotic nusery, leaving the young unprotected over many permutations meant that young with better outer protection survived.
Thus the outer protection, like a snails shell meant survival and the passing on of code relevent to producing a protective embrionic envoronment.

Think of it as the miscarriage that survived.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
There were countless species prior to the dopey chicken that had developed the egg systems...dinosauria...prior to that reptilian...prior to that FISH and prior to that...well you get it...there were eggs LONG before chickens
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Ok my post should have read...

The conclusion is that the egg layer came before the egg. The egg layer evolved egg production as a form of embriotic nusery, leaving the young unprotected over many permutations meant that young with better outer protection survived.
Thus the outer protection, like a snails shell meant survival and the passing on of code relevent to producing a protective embrionic envoronment.

Think of it as the miscarriage that survived.
- Mark Twain
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2434 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
the egg layer came before the egg. The egg layer evolved egg production as a form of embriotic nusery, leaving the young unprotected over many permutations meant that young with better outer protection survived. Thus the outer protection, like a snails shell meant survival and the passing on of code relevent to producing a protective embrionic envoronment.

Nonsense!

That is just a godless humanist smokescreen for the beautiful truth that the hand of the Creator shaped all these things, just as they are (Evolution? Humbug!) a little over 6,000 years ago. These things are too complex to have evolved!

How do I know?

Because there's a whole bunch of godly people fighting hard to let Intelligent Design be taught in our schools, alongside (and finally displacing) nasty old Darwinism.

After all, the principle ... oops, I mean "theory" ... of evolution has very little going for it, just ... well ...
archaeological evidence,
quantifiable experimentation,
replicable testing,
field observation,
and unbiased statistical analysis.

Who needs all that? Intelligent Design may not have all those silly little things, but it's got the Bible! Oh, no ... don't call it a religious idea, it's SCIENCE!

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I have been following some stories about ID for a while. I would comment but it falls into a discussion on religon.
- Mark Twain
MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
...what would a chair look like if our knees bent the other way? Smile
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
What would happen if there were no hypothetical questions?
aka
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of aka
I would have to say the EGG came first.. here's why..

evolution occurs through genetic mutations. Mutations occur through genetic variation, which is caused by the junction of a sperm and egg, as each of those gametes (sex cells), carries the genes of a parent. After fertilization, that is, the junction of sperm and egg, the cells begin to divide, forming a zygote and eventually an embryo. it is within this process, where MUTATION can OCCUR.

Since evolution occurs through genetic mutations, the first chicken came into existence because of a genetic mutation which evolved something else into a chicken. Granted, it wasn't as if a dog turned into a chicken; nevertheless, the final form of the chicken was created through genetic mutation.

Also, I believe chickens fertilize their eggs by first having the hens lay the eggs, and then the males disperse their sperm onto the surface of the eggs. Thus, the EGG came first, and it was only after the male dispersed his sperm, allowing for fertilization and mutation, did the CHICKEN emerge.
*past the point of no return~~
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Also, I believe chickens fertilize their eggs by first having the hens lay the eggs, and then the males disperse their sperm onto the surface of the eggs.

This is a novel idea, I guess that the chucs' have sex just for pleasure then!
- Mark Twain
aka
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of aka
^
^
I thought that's how birds fertilized their eggs...
EDIT -

Chickens in fact use internal fertilization.... I think I'm confused with something else...

hmm..

nevertheless, the EGG still came first, as even the new chicken must come from the egg =D
*past the point of no return~~
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
This is kind of off the question but--some of my students told me their chickens (they live rurally) laid green eggs (shells were green-tinted).
Is that weird or what??

Ellen
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
After all, the principle ... oops, I mean "theory" ... of evolution has very little going for it, just ... well ...
archaeological evidence,
quantifiable experimentation,
replicable testing,
field observation,
and unbiased statistical analysis.

Who needs all that? Intelligent Design may not have all those silly little things, but it's got the Bible! Oh, no ... don't call it a religious idea, it's SCIENCE!

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html

Hmmm.... and the reasons you list must be the reasons evolution is still a theory, correct? ;^) When I got to 'field observation' I had to pick my jaw up off the floor!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Ok, say you have this bird, the precursor to chickens called a Cken.
A female Cken lays a seemingly normal Cken egg (the egg from a Cken). Inside is a mutant, which will hatch and become a CHIcken. It's genetical structure is different slightly, it's a new bird. IT came from a Cken egg, not a chicken egg. The first chicken THEN lays the first ~chicken egg~ (I guess it breeds w/ a Cken?!).
Therefore the chicken came before the chicken egg.
Evolution & Genetics 101.
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Which came first, the chicken or the egg? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.38 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL