The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Annemanns Practical Mental Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7005 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I am not a mentalist. I am a close up magician who preforms a few mentalist effects. I recently purchased this ebook from lybrary.com. Heard great things about it. What are some people's favorite effects from the book?
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
It's almost impossible to choose one or two effects from this book. There are not only so many good effects and routines, but there are different periods of your career when different items will be choice.

Richard Osterlind said something clever about that book...something how he could have thrown a dart at the book, and used whatever it hit as a superb act.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of equivoque
I think of it as more of a reference book.
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
I really like Volition and Entity Alone from this one.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7005 Posts

Well, I started reading the book... Wow. Amazing, potent stuff in there. And I'm not even half way through it. Not only are there several wonderful routines which could be adapted to fit any style, there is also indespensible advice about performing and presentation. Also, unlike a lot of older magic books I've read, this one feels very contemporary. Like it could have been written 20 years ago instead of 60.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
It's a classic. As mr Osterlind says, it is very often overlooked - I refer to Corinda and this he whole time, and find new things every time.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
webbyla
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of webbyla
Tervil often gets mentioned - it is very bold.

On the down side I don't think any of the book tests are particularly usuable.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
I LOVE Tervil! Exactly what mentalism should be - ingenious, clever, and you get a 'buzz' doing it. This can be applied to many things - I do a phone number divination, where you pretend to write down the number you receive, but you simply show their card as yours at the end. So much fun, it's almost rude.
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Sjdavison.

Let me think.......yes ..its coming...I'm thinking you haven't looked at your PM's lately.

Howard
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
Does "Life and Times of a Legend, Annemann" really contain more material than Practical Mental Effects? Or does it just have historical info as well?
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
I have just made an OM Billet Box and will use it at a solstice party tomorrow/today.

And the paperback book must be the best "value for money" mentalism purchase you could make.

Corona.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
A Question and The Answer and Tervel are some of my favorites.
Both play extremely well, and can be done close up for a small group or from a stage with a big audience.
If "Packs small, Plays Big" has any meaning, it must be about these.
With a few slips of paper and a pen, you will make mircales with these.

Sven
czero
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
282 Posts

Profile of czero
Quote:
On 2005-06-20 21:19, Corona Smith wrote:
I have just made an OM Billet Box and will use it at a solstice party tomorrow/today.

And the paperback book must be the best "value for money" mentalism purchase you could make.

Corona.

Gotta love the O.M. Box. So simple. So cheap. So innocent-looking. It's a brilliant device. I discovered this a few weeks back while paging through my well-worn copy of Annemann, and for the life of me I don't know how I missed seeing the potential for this thing sooner. I made mine out of a Whitman's Sampler chocolate box.

--Mike
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7005 Posts

A Question and an Answer is becoming one of my favorite effects in the book. So simple and deceptive.
rumburak
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of rumburak
The ESP routine is quite potent IMHO. I am currently preparing a version with marked business cards.

The playing card mind reading (forgot the exact name) with a stacked deck (and letting the spectator shuffle it prior to the selection of the card) is also brilliant. This is the first place where I have learned that you can allow a spectator to briefly shuffle a stacked deck without getting screwed up.

There are a few effects which look outdated, but the majority of ideas should give you enough material for a lifetime.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Annemanns Practical Mental Effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL