The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Shape shifter and ninja 1 and 2. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Does anyone here own shape shifter or ninja 1 and 2 dvd's?

Do you feel they were worth the money, if so why, if not, why not?

I'm considering buying them because I'm very weak with cards and I want to improve
my skills...

Steven
RealDeal JU
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
375 Posts

Profile of RealDeal JU
Shape shifter is an easy trick to figure out. I actually came across a video on the internet that gave the secret away for free. It also showed you how to do a snap change. Don't waste money on shapeshifter. I'm not sure about ninja 1 and 2 though. You'll need to wait for someone else's input for them.

Jim
"Challenge yourself to come up with your own

material, rather than buying into the idea that

you have to do the same thing that everyone

else is doing to be a good magician."
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I believe shape shifter can actually be found in a book. I learned it just by watching a video demo though. I would save my money and get books instead of the ninja 1 and 2 dvd's, but that's just me. I believe you will learn more from a book than an Ellusionist dvd that is over priced.
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
Ellusionist got me started on the road to magic. I have the videos and I think they're extremely well done. Brad Christian teaches the moves well and should be easy to follow for novices. The Ninja videos themselves are not bad, just a bit overpriced. Of course this is before I found out about other magic shops on the internet. Do your research. I'm sure you'll find a lot of other good recommendations (like Daryl's series, for example). I can't comment on the shapeshifter since I don't have that.
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
Ellusionist helped me on the magic path. I learned Shapeshifter from a fellow magician. I belive it is every where. Don't own any ninjas but I here the Ninja 1 is really good. I'm going to check on something and then I will make another post.
George 
View Profile
Regular user
New York
133 Posts

Profile of George 
I have Shapeshifter and I think that the preview for the ALIUN levitation was the main purpose for many people to buy it, rather than the instruction regarding Shapeshifter. It teaches the shapeshifter fairily in depth and runs through a couple of other moves which are meant to be bonuses, but I feel that the instruction for those was lacking a bit.

I wouldn't suggest Shapeshifter if you are looking to strengthen your all-around card skills.

George
enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Profile of enigmaticmagic
Just to get some facts out, shapeshifter is a great video. mark is an EXCELLENT teacher and so is brad. it does not just teach one move. heres whats included.

shapeshifter (mark)
cover change
pivot change
shake change
side steal
shapeshifter (smaller hands)
and a really cool little trick.

(i kind of messed up a lot of the names because I don't remember them.)
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1691 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Shape shifter belongs to Marc, if you learned it from watching a demo or ANYONE besides Marc gave it to you (Or ANYONE) for free, You (and anyone who learned,got it for free) owe Marc money.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
Ellusionist also helped me get my interest back into card magic.
What ever inspires you into the craft cant be that bad.

I have Ninja 1, Ninja 2, and Crash Course 2 (The Ambitious Card)

Crash Course 2 teaches you the most card sleights and IMHO is a better buy than Ninja 1 or Ninja 2.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Thank you, Mystre71, for that valuable bit of ethical information. The check will be in the mail tomorrow. Oh, by the way, do you have Marc's address?
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of mystre71
cfrancis,
No need for a check here,but Marc is a member of the Café here's his SN "mdesouza" you can PM him for info on where to send the check.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Neil
Er right. So magicians can't show each other tricks without paying the originators? I don't think it works like that.
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
I think we should all teach mystre71 tricks against his will. then he'll go broke.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Show is one thing teach/learn is another. If someone post a performance only "demo." They didn't post it for other to watch over and over in order to learn it. If someone is giving away Marc's "Shape Shifter" to anyone who cares to watch it, then they are stealing from Marc.

Here's an example I have "Dear Mr. Fantasy" should I post videos explaining the routines, this way no one else would need to buy the book.

Best,
Joe
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Just thought I'd point out that Marc DeSouza himself teaches the change on the video. I'm guessing that means he's ok with it.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
Quote:
On 2005-06-23 05:26, mystre71 wrote:
If someone post a performance only "demo." They didn't post it for other to watch over and over in order to learn it

No offense to Marc, but these are the very obvious risks to posting ANYTHING on the internet. It's going to happen, so either don't advertise it publicly, or deal with it.

I'd have no problem if the current trend in advertising magic was abandoned completely.

And yes, it is perfectly fine to get together with fellow magicians and share whatever I feel like sharing. I've learned a ton of effects by hanging out with a daily performer, and you know what? If I like something I've learned, I'll buy it regardless.

I'm sorry, I neglected to answer your original question.

I've viewed all three videos, and own one. If you want to buy an Ellusionist video, I would purchase Crash Course 2 for the fact that it does teach quite a few practical sleights, and it also has some performance footage.

I'd pass on the Ninja DVD's though. Nothing in there that you can't learn from Royal Road to Card Magic, and a few fellow magicians to help you out.
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Quote:
On 2005-06-22 20:27, mystre71 wrote:
Shape shifter belongs to Marc, if you learned it from watching a demo or ANYONE besides Marc gave it to you (Or ANYONE) for free, You (and anyone who learned,got it for free) owe Marc money.

Well, Oscar Munoz might disagree....
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of mystre71
RE: No offense to Marc, but these are the very obvious risks to posting ANYTHING on the internet. It's going to happen, so either don't advertise it publicly, or deal with it.

You're right, they are obious risk of posting videos on the net. But they shouldn't be, if magicians were honest.

RE:And yes, it is perfectly fine to get together with fellow magicians and share whatever I feel like sharing. I've learned a ton of effects by hanging out with a daily performer, and you know what? If I like something I've learned, I'll buy it regardless.

I agree. But someone posting a performance only/demo placed it there to look at and enjoy not for you,me or ANYONE to take and use. It's also not right for another person to place on a video and give it away for free, unless that someone is Marc.

Again and for the last time I ask, Since I have Bannon's new book "Dear Mr Fantasy" does this mean I can post videos of HIS routines teaching anyone who cares to watch them on the Internet?

RE:Well, Oscar Munoz might disagree....

This is a quote from Steve Beam who published both Oscar's and Marc's change in the same issue of the trapdoor. "The Shapeshifter by Marc DeSouza evolved from the Pirouette Change by Oscar Munoz".

also "Marc showed both changes to me at the East Coast Magic Spectacular and obtained Oscar's permission to include his change in the same issue. It remained dormant in The Trapdoor for very few of us to use until David Blaine used it on his special which seemed to pique the attention of magicians.

Look these are just my opinons, if you think the above is ok. Then you post videos teaching "others" work. That's all I'm going to say about this, sorry I got the thread sidetrack.

Best,
Joe
Franz-O
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
66 Posts

Profile of Franz-O
Crash course 2 is pretty good. IT's a good companion to have with daryl's ACR video because there's little overlap. I think Ninja 1's key move is the pass, so if you've got that down, don't bother with it.
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
Quote:
On 2005-06-25 08:14, mystre71 wrote:
Again and for the last time I ask, Since I have Bannon's new book "Dear Mr Fantasy" does this mean I can post videos of HIS routines teaching anyone who cares to watch them on the Internet?

Of course not. Silly question, says me.

And as far as "magicians shouldn't be doing it". Well, a magician is defined by his ethics as well as skills. So... if they have none, you're the only one calling them a magician besides them.
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Shape shifter and ninja 1 and 2. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL