The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Flash paper and Doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
I have been doing some research into Doves and am confident in keeping them and training them.
What I would like to know is I have heard Doves fly into the light, but I imagine they're not going to be too keen on fire. Is it possible to produce a Dove from a flash? Without upsetting or endangering the bird?
Paul
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
It is very possible to produce a dove from a flash, but do your research. Your best bet is an effect created and proven safe from another magician. Never experiment with a dove and flash paper. Their feathers are sensitive and would burn fairly easily. Haven't you ever kept a piece of flash paper in your hand too long?.. burns eh? lol.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
tjkmagicman
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of tjkmagicman
Yes it is definintely possible, the bett thing to do is to produce the dove right after the paper just goes out. Because of the retention of light it will not be noticable and will appear just as the dove appears from the fire. this will prevent any injury to the dove if done correctly otherwise you can hurt the dove. Hope this helps.
take care,
Tim Kutch
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
It's all a matter of timing. As Tim said, make sure the flame is out before producing the dove. Practice with a fake dove or rolled up socks (the greatest imitation bird there is by the way). Once you have the timing down, introduce the bird to the effect.
Where the magic begins
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Just to add on what Dave said, an idea my little brother Andy Amyx had, was to roll some pennies in gaffer's tape or duct tape and roll them in the sock to simulate actual weight of the bird. This way you'll get used to feeling of a similar mass in your sleeve, pocket, etc.
DANSPERRY.COM
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Stay away from this effect.

Flash paper burns at different speed. You will basically burn the dove. The flash paper is unpredictable and with your nervousness you'll produce it at the wrong time.

You might consider a FISM FLASH gimmick and the varations.

G0THIKE
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
GOTHIKE, if the correct amount of practice is done up front, it won't matter how fast the paper burns. The bird should never come in contact with the flame at any time. The human eye retains the flash after the paper goes out. It isn't necessary to produce the bird while the paper is burning. It's true, flash paper burns at different speeds but it's a simple matter to see when it has finished. The practice should be toward making the production exactly when the paper goes out, not making the dove appear from the flame.

Paul, caution is of course always needed when using flash paper, with or without a dove. Since it sounds like you are just beginning with dove magic, I'd suggest starting out simple and working with the birds as much as possible. Add effects like dove from flame etc later on after you have a good friendship with your birds and are completely confident in handling them.
Where the magic begins
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Thanks for the good advice. I am starting with Doves, but I've been using flash for a long time now, so I understand the due care and attention this would need. I will take your advice and practice with socks, and will only add/learn this effect after I am profecient in Dove magic. My idea is something along the lines of Kevin James' floating rose...
Paul
thegreatgeorgio
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of thegreatgeorgio
Quote:
On 2005-06-22 15:40, Dave Scribner wrote:
It's all a matter of timing. As Tim said, make sure the flame is out before producing the dove. Practice with a fake dove or rolled up socks (the greatest imitation bird there is by the way). Once you have the timing down, introduce the bird to the effect.

I agree Dave. Isn't that flash production the one Lance Burton uses?
I asked the same question about fire harming the dove when I saw Lance Burton's act and when I watched Lance again I realised there is a second or two between the fire going out and the dove production---the audience don't realise that.

Its a nice production

George
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Add some sparkle additive, and toss it out a foot or so infront of the dove. It creates more than enough cover, and never comes close to the bird. I show this production on my Secrets of Bird Magic Videos. The shot shows it in slow motion from the side... Your bird is safe if you do it right.

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Flash paper and Doves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL