The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » False Count (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

njh
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
143 Posts

Profile of njh
What possible moves (beside the Himber Click Pass and Hang Ping Chien) can I use to false count 2 coins as three? Also, where would I be able to learn these moves? Thanks.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
JeremiahZuo
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of JeremiahZuo
David Stone had a method in his "Cocoon" lecture notes.

Available here http://www.david-stone.com
Joshua 24:15
Malcolm Kavalsky
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Malcolm Kavalsky
Assume you have two coins in your RH
1. Push one coin into CP
2. False transfer the remaining coin using ROV to your LH
(Leaves coin on fingertip rest)
Say "One"
3. Click pass the CP'ed coin into your LH
Say "Two"

4. Toss the coin (in RH finger-tip) rest into your LH
Say "Three!"
Checkout the Bobo Project at:
http://kavalsky.net:3834/OpenBobo/
Clip index at:
http://planet.nana.co.il/openbobo/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Real people don't count groups of less than five or so. Really. From the pop-up thing in Roger Klause's routine Coins for Connoisseurs, to the Himber thing... nice but stylized. Unless you like doing impersonations of the Count from Sesame Street.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
When showing more coins than you actually have, I've always timed my my count so that it is excecuted as I deliver a statement briefly mentioning the amount of coins. In other words, if I'm doing a count with 3 coins as 4, I perform the count and say, " Here I have four coins."

The way I've done the count, the more observant spectators have seen what they believe is four coins, and as I'm not paying attention to my hands(and am making eye contact), the spectators shouldn't either. I guess what I'm trying to say is try not to make a move of it.....

And NEVER.....EVER...... count 1, 2, 3, 4

Ha ha ha.....(thunder rumbles in the background and lightning lights the sky)
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
njh
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
143 Posts

Profile of njh
Guys: It's for Paul Harris' Quarter Caper from AOA. You clink two coins in your hand, pretending that a third coin has arrived. You have to show it somehow, that's why I'm working on a false count. I guess "false display" would have been a better term.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
There are two original false counts that I use all the time which are explained in my new book 21st Century Coin Mechanics. Click the link at the bottom for more info or look for the ad in September Genii Magazine.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Here's a quick and easy, but very natural one I just worked out. I may have recreated something of Tamariz's, I haven't read "Moneas y Moneas" yet, I can't even spell it. However,

Start with two in your right hand. Suggest it's three. Shove one out with your thumb, and it lands on your left fingers, closer to the fingertips. Thumb out the next, and it lands on your palm, more or less in CP position. Duplicate your actions for the "third" coin, and with the same rythym, close your left fingers, causing the coin on the fingers to jump up onto the coin in the palm. With the proper timing, that jumping coin creates the perfect illusion of a third coin landing in the hand.

Try it before his gets moved to "Secret Sessions". Remember to just be cool about it. Smile
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
I'll attest that Eric's count works really well. I was fortunate to hang with him while I was in VA last week. Eric tell my Nemesis Jonathan I say Hello Smile
J.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4146 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I teach a couple of new false counts at the New York Coin Magic Seminar. One of my counts, the Pseudo Himber Count, will be in Genii in the next few months. My favorite, however, is only available to the Seminar attendees for now!
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS!
https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

Send inquiries to rubinsteindvm@aol.com

Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1259 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
I believe Troy Hoosier has a coin false count in Destroyers, a very good one, but now that Jonathan mentions it, counting less than five coins might be causing more heat than removing it.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Did I mention that I have a great false count. Yeah...it is a 99 for 100 count. Most of the spectators fall asleep by the time I get to 40 or 50 so it goes right by them. Hahaha!

C
njh
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
143 Posts

Profile of njh
Mr. Kavalsky and Mr. Kam, thank you very much. I practiced both of your false counts and they work very well.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
Quote:
On 2005-06-22 12:21, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Real people don't count groups of less than five or so.

I think this depends upon the situation. Was it Al Schneider who suggested going to a store and buy a Herschey bar with a ten and see what happens?

For example, in a pub yesterday I ordered two drinks with a ten pound note. The barmaid gave me my change by counting four pound coins into my hand, one to four (followed by a few washers). All perfectly natural.

In environments where correct change is important, people often do count low numbers (particularly at places like market stalls where they don't have electronic cash machines to tell them how much money to give back). So I guess whether you do this in magic depends upon your presentation.

Cheers

Ian
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I do a false count with coins. I start with 3 coins and secretly get rid of one in the action of putting another object away. So I am on ahead. I then casually count without count aloud the 2 coins as 3 and then make on evanish.
The count is basically, a Biddle count with coins. Holding 2 in the right hand from above, just as you would do with cards. Only I do it with coins. It looks and more importantly sounds like 3 coins.

Chad
Nighthawk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Nighthawk
Chad...I have your video in which you teach the Biddle (coin) count....its very effective and elequently simple...I highly recommend.

N
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » False Count (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL