The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Stars of Magic--- what to look into first? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
I love the match trick - Decapitation, I think it's called. If only paper matches were still the same color on both sides, I think I would do this a lot.

But my favorite is probably "Cutting the Aces". Have fun with it!

Will
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Quote:
On 2005-06-23 11:06, Jaz wrote:
It can be a bit difficult to follow.
You have to follow the PATTER SUGGESTION as well as the INSTRUCTIONS.
they work together.

Set up as in the Instructions.
The Aces do not reverse in the deck.

You turn the first two face up after cutting from a back up deck, face down.
The third is cut to from a face up, back down deck.
The last cut shows the control card used for the count.

The palm off is important to Vernon's story patter and follows his Patter Suggestion.
The palm off could be eliminated if you feel this don't suit you. Vernon's story line may not fit younger performer and they should use a story that fits them.

Ok, but in the photo's and instructions for the "basic Slight" which allows the performer to "cut" to an ace, the ace is face up. Is this only to clarify for the reader? Is the ace suposed to be face down, on the face down deck once you "cut" to it, and they are you supposed to turn it over with your hands? If not, then when do they discuss putting an ace face up in a face down deck/packet, or visa versa?

I don't have the book or a deck with me at the moment, but when I do get them in my hands, I will see what I can do to understand your instructions on following the book's instructions. This should not be necesarry...

Thank you all.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
EXPLANATION OF THE BASIC SLEIGHT reads
"(Fig.4-the ace has been turned face up for clarity)".

Only the third card is cut face up from a face up deck
the first two are cut to face down from a face down deck.

Some instructions require careful reading.
Take your time and you'll be OK.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Ok, I got a deck, and the book in front of me. I followed it word for word, and realized that the aces don't automatically appear face-up, with the exception of the third ace... you have to literally turn the ace up once you have "cut" to it. The photo's are VERY misleading. I am now focussing on figuring out the last ace.

The control method in this trick is awesome!

Sorry for the multiple messages. I finally figured this out. the palm thing, If I have I am understanding it right seems a little awkward, but I think everything will fall into place. Now, mastering the "basic slight." Thanks for your help guys. Although I did not do this, Barry the voice recording idea sounds great!

woo, that was a little more challenging than I had expected...

Yeah, Jazz, I realized that a little later, hehe. I still think that that wasn't necessary, but if I had read it correctly the first time, I would have figured it out.
rmaxgoodwin.com
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Cutting the aces is always a good choice.....(if were still talking about our favs.)
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Really sorry here guys, honestly. But, it also seams like the aces have to be above at least 10 cards in the very beginning of the trick where you are counting cards off. Or more specifically after the amount of cards equal in value to the card second from the bottom. If not, then the fourth ace won't work.
rmaxgoodwin.com
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2005-06-22 15:45, Magicmaven wrote:

Thank you, I know I will end up reading this book 100 times, but still, just to start-off...

How about page 1? Smile
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Well aren't you a little genious.

Thank you so much for your expert advice, dpe666.
rmaxgoodwin.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The Homing Card
The Homing Card
The Homing Card
The Homing Card
The Homing Card
The Homing Card
The Homing Card

Brilliant. Easy. And then Brilliant again!
All in one trick. One of my favorites.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-06-24 04:33, Frank Starsini wrote:
The Homing Card
The Homing Card
The Homing Card
The Homing Card
The Homing Card
The Homing Card
The Homing Card

Brilliant. Easy. And then Brilliant again!
All in one trick. One of my favorites.

One never goes wrong by doing *any* of Francis Carlyles routines!
I wonder how many are doing his card transpo using a DF and an envelope?..
I do it neither, as one can't do it all, but it is a hell of a great fooler!

It was once described in Genii..and one day I might play with it again..

His card transpo in the hands/pocket like described in one of Lew Gansons books, the one using miscalling a card, is a great piece of entertaining, baffling and commercial magic..nobody (almost) does it either..that one I do..as it can be done anytime anywhere, when a deck is at hand..

Soooo, using anything from FC will always make a strong impact when done well...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Especially the Homing Card. Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Smile

well, ok!
rmaxgoodwin.com
blueboy7948
View Profile
New user
UK
61 Posts

Profile of blueboy7948
My dad has had this book for years and he gave it to me for my Birthday recently. I LOVE this book - Pump room phantasy is all I have been working on at the moment, but I really want to learn chink-a-chink, if only because I can remember my dad entertaining me as kid with it. Im trying to hold myself back and learn 1 effect at a time but its proving to be tough.
Aside from the magic in this book I also think its beautiful as a book too. Im a graphic designer/illustrator and I love the fuzzy pictures that look like they have been done on a photocopier and I love the typography of it too. An absolute gem as an object as well as for the material. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
amccrawford
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of amccrawford
Quote:
On 2005-06-23 12:05, jezza wrote:
Where can I buy this book in UK ?ive been looking

It's available from both Magic Books by Post
and International Magic
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2005-06-24 02:11, Magicmaven wrote:
Well aren't you a little genious.

Thank you so much for your expert advice, dpe666.

Does the phrase "read between the lines" mean anything to you? Smile
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Years ago when I was performing in my first restaurant called Houdini's Pub. One of the conversations there one night was about how great the book The Stars of Magic is. You could take any routine from that book and it is a Gem to perform for any audience.

Plus there are many great routines with patter like the Vernon cut the aces and triumph. These effects have great theater. So there is more that the student is learning besides great routines.

This book is a classic great work of magic!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-29 22:20, bishthemagish wrote:
This book is a classic great work of magic!
I agree!
Take f.ex. the *Kangaroo Coins*, Dai Vrenon described.
It built the basis for many of that kind of routines to follow.

Amother funny thing..
Slydinis torn and restored cigarette...

The very first time I did read about it, I did it for quite some considerable time, exactly as described..

What's funny is, that even after 40 years have passed, and I haven't done it since, I instantly could do it the very exact way as done earlier/described..now this I think is actually funny.

I don't have to reread, I don't have to practise -also it would be a mistake NOT to do so, when planning performing it- but this thingy simply stuck to my mind, it's burned in the memory..it's the only routine I instantly could pop into after NOT have done it for 40 yesars..

That shows not only the impact it made on me when reading and learning it, but also how well the handling flows logically, one can't do wrong..

The only thing is, it has to be done sitting at a table, but it still fools the heck out of the unlookers after all these years, after all the improvments even Slydini made, the original/first description og his handling re that T&R cigarette still is a GREAT thing and up to date!

vinkelhaken
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
179 Posts

Profile of vinkelhaken
Werner,

I also liked the torn and restored cigarette but I've always thought that it was outdated if I recall correctly, since I want to use a lent cigarette and they nowadays always have the filter which messed up the effect (didn't it?). How do you reason regarding filter cigarettes?
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

There is another great method (not by Slydini) re filtercigarettes, it's another handling that takes advantage of the filter actually...
Here it looks like you break the filter off and restore the cig again...no lapping needed..

But, you are correct, most ppl smoke filtercigarettes..

Mind you though, to do Slydinis routine you have to have an *extra* with you anyway, so you might as well carry your own cigarettepacket (without a filter).

In any case, borrowing a ciogarette and fumbling with it already makes it impossible to hand it back to the loaner.
Though, there still is a way to borrow a cigarette with a filter and do Slydinis routine.
Simply look at the filter with diguss and break it off with a suitable remark, throw it in the ashtray..
Display the now amputated cigarette clearly and do the Slydini routine exactly as described, each and every move, each and every guesture..

Apart from this, Slydini has in his various books routines that don't care weather a filter is on the cig or not, f.ex. the one where the cig is bent (after it has been ignited) and displayed after it obviously was brooken and the ends are put together at an angle and tobacco is still seen at that join, - I think here a filtercigarette can be used - but that's just a newer handling of Slydini, I simply love the simplicity of the original one described in *Stars of Magic* and somehow this handling got burned both into the fingers and into the mind, probably because I was a young guy at that time I learned it and that stuff simply stuck, as well as it simply does flow so naturally..

Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1701 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I cast another vote for Francis Carlyle's Homing Card. I recently decided that for the next few months I would only ever do four card tricks, in an attempt to hone them and get them *perfect* instead of just pretty good. Homing Card was one of them. Why?

1. It's impromptu, so long as you can sneak a card into your pocket before it all starts.
2. It uses no gaffes.
3. You can do it standing up (which is how most stuff I perform happens)
4. It's got a great plot
5. It's not hard (sleights required: control-to-top, palm)
6. It's a great way to practice your one handed top palm, and if you can't do it, it doesn't really matter...just do a regular two-handed palm.
7. The second time ("OK, I'll do it again...") is a clean run - you're home and dry before it starts.

SO learn it!!!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Stars of Magic--- what to look into first? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL