The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Impromptu unnesting Scotch and Soda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1259 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Is there an impromptu - not the coin in the glass, please - method of unnesting a Scotch and Soda? If this topic has already been flogged to death forgive me and possibly direct me to it. The Café search produced too *** many S&S entries.
I know this was a topic in Ken Simmon's Onyx magazine back in the late 90s but I managed not to get the issue that had Simmon's favorite method.
Thnks,
Dan.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
There's a magnetic set for sale somewheres....
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
If you use a Gimmicked S&S why don't you just keep the B*** R*** in your pocket and reset it that way. I personally do an Ungimmicked S&S.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1259 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
I've been known to misplace the ring. I've got an impromptu S&S routine also but I also use the gimmicked S&S often. Especially for coin under watch. End clean.
To be honest mostly I'm just curious. I know there are impromptu methods out there.

Jordini,
I think the magnetic S&S is no longer made. Forgotten who it was that offered them for awhile. Probably just as well since the spectator really couldn't handle it too long. Coin Unique I believe is a similar idea.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I've handled some sets that you could release the insert by flexing the nested set with your thumbs pushing down on the center from above, and your fingers pulling up on the edges from below.

Caveat: This is probably not good for the future of your set.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Quote:
On 2005-06-22 22:25, Dan McLean wrote:
Jordini,
I think the magnetic S&S is no longer made. Forgotten who it was that offered them for awhile. Probably just as well since the spectator really couldn't handle it too long. Coin Unique I believe is a similar idea.

This can be used as a S&S set.
Bernard Sim
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
I carry a magnetic set when I'm performing and have a piece of double sided tape on the inside of my jacket. It works great.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I've seen a few routines that involve unnesting the gaff during the performance, but I can't, for the life of me, remember where. The name of the trick that comes to mind first is something like, "Houdini's Escape", or something similar to that. I believe the props used are; an Okito box, an S&S set and the bang ring, and some number of ungaffed coins. I also believe there was a video online somewhere as well. Google that up and see if anything hits.

BTW, I use the magnetic Ultimate Copper & Silver set instead of S&S, and I use a shimmed EP to unnest the gimmick during performance. I then do a very simple switch, and I'm set up with a regular EP hidden in the right, and the unnested gaff displayed as a copper and a silver coin in my left. Good to go.

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1259 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Mike,
I like the idea of using Ultimate Copper and Silver that way. I like it alot. Makes sense, practical. Looks like I have to buy one. Like I haven't got enough gaffs!
May have to look into a magnetic S&S too if I can find one. Seems to be favored by many.
I think I know the unnesting routine you're talking about but I can't remember its name either.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2785 Posts

Profile of John Long
Mike

I've never heard of a magnetic ultimate copper and silver.
Did you mean a magnetic copper and silver?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
The Magnetic Copper & Silver set is, in essence, the Ultimate Copper & Silver... magnetic of course and with an additional unshimmed & remilled EP. It's the same concept as the UCS set, if you know what I mean. The unshimmed EP is actually quite a nice addition if you like doing extended C/S routines. I'll sometimes start it out under the ], as I display a half-dollar and two coppers in my hand. The rest of the routine is standard C/S stuff, with a completely open-handed vanish of one copper from the group of three coins to finish it up.

Mike

Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-06-23 20:09, Mike Wild wrote:
"...The name of the trick that comes to mind first is something like, "Houdini's Escape", or something similar to that. I believe the props used are; an Okito box, an S&S set and the bang ring, and some number of ungaffed coins. I also believe there was a video online somewhere as well. Google that up and see if anything hits...."

That sounds like Greg Rostami's routine, which you can see here.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
That was great larry. Thanks for the link.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
My pleasure.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
That's the one... thanks Larry.

That is a neat little routine Smile

Mike

qwism
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of qwism
I know of an ungimmicked S&S routine, but I'm not sure if I'm at liberty to share.

It's pretty good though. =T
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I had Jamie Schoolcraft make me a scotch and soda set that does not lock. Of course you can't hand it out to the spectator, but I used it in a routine where I swicth out to a Jumbo Coin, So the spec never holds it.

I have a magnetic S&S from Percision Magic. I don't think the 50 cent piece looks as good as the locking type. With the magnetic version, theres a slgiht perceptable gap around the insert.... would a layman ever notice? I don't think so, but I've never used it in practice. On the other hand, I don't use the locking S&S coin either becuase it feels too light and hollow. I know that lay people generally don't notice.

Bottom line, I recommend you don't do effects that are hard to reset. There are hundreds of non-gaff effects you can do!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2785 Posts

Profile of John Long
MtG:
Seems like one could very easily make a non-linking SnS by using a file.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Actually, a coin with a slightly smaller diameter than a half dollar (or a worn out walker), a little muscle power, and a B.R. is all that's required to "unlock" an S&S set.

Mike

Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1259 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Mike,
I think I've solved the problem using the Ultimate Copper/Silver you mentioned. I use it pretty much the same way I used S&S for coin under the watch and my reset problems are reduced since I don't have to carry around a bang ring.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Impromptu unnesting Scotch and Soda (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL