The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tricks for a wedding (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Hi: I've been asking to perform for a wedding reception, so I'd like your input as to effects that would be good for that event. Thanks, Marty.
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
You probably need two styles of entertainment: walk around effects when the guests are drinking and mingling and table hopping effects during and after the meal (if you're booked to stay for that part of the day).

I would recommend lighter, funnier stuff than anything too heavy or 'meaningful'. You need ideally fairly short effects to grab the attention. Wedding entertainment is probably more suitable to magic effects rather than mentalism but I guess you can move onto these type of effects particularly later in the evening to change the tone.

Good luck with the gig.
rumburak
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of rumburak
If you can give your mental effects some comedy twist - like e.g. the "Precious Metal" effect - then mentalism should also work fine. It is difficult, though, to do this for several other mental principles which rely on a serious atmosphere and require spectators to be in the right mind set.

Also keep in mind that there may be children around, so several effects and/or ideas are excluded from the beginning. Maybe some other people have managed to taylor a typical mental principle to entertain children - if so, please fire away and post your ideas!

PK effects may also be fine. Although you should embed them logically into the theme of your entire routine. And - if they are done with IT - there may be limitations on working outside.

So I do agree that some more conventional magic tricks - sponge rabbits should be great - are more appropriate.
chriscox
View Profile
Regular user
London
173 Posts

Profile of chriscox
Avoid multi-outs if you're going to be repeating....pk touches for bride and groom kills
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
If you are goign to perform an effect between the Bride and Groom, try Open Transmission which is an effect adaptation of mine, part of which you can get for nothing on http://www.online-visions.com now that plays extremely strongly.

Other things I would suggest would be adapting things such as a coin bend in one person's hand, to having a couple hold the coin between their hands, just small variations on effects you already perform. I wouldnt change completely if I were you, its vital you're comfortable with the things you perform, just jiggle them about a bit to make them fit the day.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2700 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Kennedy: Open Transmission

BRILLIANT!!!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
czero
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
282 Posts

Profile of czero
There is a PK-type effect called LuvR's Lock that might be kind of cool to perform using one of the older married couples present as an illustration of the deepening bond of love that develops in the course of a marriage.

It involves threading the couple's wedding bands onto a heavy-duty combination lock, clicking it closed, and inviting them to attempt to open it. After repeated attempts with various combinations fail to open it, you can have the couple squeeze the lock between their hands and concentrate upon the year in which they were married. If you ask them to tell you when they feel something--warmth, a tingle, whatever--it's practically guaranteed that suggestion will make it real. The combination that opens the lock will then be found to be the year the couple were married.

--Mike
Mark Timon
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
Try the classic bank night with pieces of blank paper inside the envelopes. Of course the one finally selected by the Bride and Groom, has the picture of a red heart!
Also the Pk touches or use some kind of peeking device to obtain from the groom a three digit number , then have the Bride write the very same number!! method to be found in the book > Theater of mind by Barrie Richardson, the dollar divination effect.

Regards
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
If you don't mind moving away from mentalism a bit, try Anniversary Waltz for the Bride and Groom. I always do this and do it with the full attention of eveyone in attendance. It is meaningful and brilliant.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Thanks for all the great ideas (I never thought of using a PK effect)!!
At this point, it looks like it will be more of a stage show with the bride and groom present (no children at all I'm told) Actually, I would have preferred if children were there because I'm a kid show magician, and I could have performed for them. Doing a show for adults is not my thing--that's why I'm asking for your input.
I had planned to do some type of mentalism, so I like the idea of them "reading each others mind", but I'll keep it light. Also, I thought, a ring to nest of boxes would fit in nicely. Mark, your idea of using Bank Night with a heart is a good one, and Kennedy, Open Transmission is great. What image would you have the bride and groom draw?
Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks, Marty.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
Kennedy:
I just read your "open transmission"...loved it. Great thinking, I agree with Kinesis, it's brilliant. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Sean Waters
czero
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
282 Posts

Profile of czero
Quote:
On 2005-06-23 09:52, Kennedy wrote:
If you are goign to perform an effect between the Bride and Groom, try Open Transmission which is an effect adaptation of mine, part of which you can get for nothing on http://www.online-visions.com now that plays extremely strongly.

Other things I would suggest would be adapting things such as a coin bend in one person's hand, to having a couple hold the coin between their hands, just small variations on effects you already perform. I wouldnt change completely if I were you, its vital you're comfortable with the things you perform, just jiggle them about a bit to make them fit the day.

Best,
Kennedy

Kennedy,

I have to agree with popular opinion regarding your Open Transmission routine. It's a very clever application of dual reality (and one that I'm itching to try for myself). If all your creations are of this caliber, I think you may be the next Luke Jermay. Smile

But, that said, I don't see how you can possibly avoid the water cooler effect when the participants are a new bride and groom.

--Mike
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Thanks for all the kind words. You can stop them talking afterwards, either in a drastic death type way or by some applications of words. I talked about the way to do this in another recent thread "Dual Reality" I think its called, its a recent one. Basically, online visions has a short version of Open Transmission from my book, which I gave away as a sampler. In the full version, thanks to a lot of very clever people including Paolo Cavalli and Banachek (massive thanks to these people) the spectators can talk after the show and not discover the secret. that's the main difference, and this principal can be applied to ANY dual reality effect to make it very difficult to unpick the workings. Whats more the receiver will start drawing his image AFTER the transmitter has begun.

I must say that anniversary waltz by Docc Eason is amazing! If I ever come across a coiuple in the restaurants I work I ALWAYS perform this. Docc has some very very nice new touches on Waltz, if you were at Blackpool here in England earlier this year you were treated to them.

As an image for a bride and groom, I think it is important that you give them something ambiguous, or which is open to interpretation. Consider something which has nothign to do with weddings though, as this might seem liek they both just thought of obvious things and you get no claim, which would be a shame. Here are some further thoughts on images to "transmit":

Fish (could be with chips, a whale, a small fish etc)
Factory (the differences would be great, however pointing out the similarities here would be interesting)

As another hint, any and all of the words from Richard Osterlind's amazing ODDS would be amazing as they have very particular characteristics. If you don't have this...go get it, its one of the best pieces I have seen for a while.

"The next Luke Jermay" that is a compliment of the highest cllibre, I think Luke's work is truly amazing and to even be associated or compared with him and his thinking is an honour. Thanks for that.

Other great effects, with the wedding party, including bridesmades, best man etc etc. A lovely plot of deceit and lies as you perform Kurutsuke from Max Mave, a wonderful platform for comedy I think. Even a simple two person prediction. Or Richard Osterlind's "Cards In Pocktes" routine with the BCS, only instead of pockets, one card for the bride and oen for the groom. The spectator is asked, "who you do want to hold which card?". Just some ideas.

All the best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tricks for a wedding (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL