The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Mental Hospital (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
When I was a teenager, young and foolish (I'm still foolish), I did a show in a mental hospital. In a serious error of judgement I did an escape, the Siberian chain, I think. After the show I found myself surrounded by a large group of patients insistently wanting me to teach them how to get out of restraints. Actually, it was a frightening moment, and I had to be rescued by the staff.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
Haha. That is a great story. Atleast you didn't do a straight jacket escape.
-Tyler
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
My favorite psychiatric hospital experince was doing a Christmas show and having one of the female patients want to dance with me.

I was willing to oblige, but found it hard to dance like Fred Astaire to "Silent Night."

:magicrabbit:
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
>>I was willing to oblige, but found it hard to dance like Fred Astaire to "Silent Night." <<

LOL! I can just picture that!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Oh yeah.... After my show, I changed into a Santa Suit. So I was wearing a beard and Kris Kringle outfit at the time. Ho, Ho, Ho!
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I too have performed in a mental hospital. Most of the time, it is for a few of the well behaved addmittants and usually their grandkids or children. I had one show for them where half way through the zombie routine, a man stood up and started screaming at the top of his lungs, "SAMANTHAAAAAAA!" He then ran to the table and started furiously eating cookies.

I sh#t you not this is 100% true. I found out after the show that Samantha was his wife and that whenever he had his moments of lost control, he called for her. It was kind of sad to see, but frightening beyond believe.

On the other hand....if you could set something like that up, you would have a very strong piece of misdirection.

-Chris
ralphgironda
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Quote:
" One guy kept yelling "go home, go home!" I looked at him and said "Unlike you, I can!"

that's funny, who came up with that line?
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Whoa, this brings back a few memories.

One, I was doing a summer camp for special needs folks (all adults) in the late 80's and I did the bra trick on one of the nurses. It turned out that one of the campers had a strong crush on her and thought that I should be punished. It was quite tense for a few moments, but he was eventually calmed down and I was able to leave unharmed.

Another, more pleasant memory involved a prank I played on a friend. A very talented performer and magic lecturer who I have been friends with for many years told me a story about performing in an institution where he was the second performer on a bill of about 6 or 7 acts. The residents of the institution were a polite audience. One in particular could only remember my friend's first name, Dave. He would call out during the remaining acts, " Yay Dave, amazing!"

I was in the audience of one of Dave's shows many years later, unannouced to him. It was a large soft seater theatre. Dave was doing his signature manipulation act, coins, candles et al. It is a wonderful act, very professional and done in a classy style. About 9 minutes into his 11 minute routine, I from the back of the hall, shouted, "Yay Dave, amazing!" His expression did not change, but you could see his body shutter as he tried to suppress his laughter. I should point out, that Dave and I, along with Gerry Frenette of Magic Makers Illusions, were all quite good friends and used to tour together exclusively at the time. He confronted me after the show and we had a good laugh about it.

All the best,

Rob
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
I did one once,i was asked if I would go along with our magic club,so I thought the experience would help,we got to the hospital we went through to the reception and met the man in charge i,ll show you where you are performing,so he led us along corridors up stairs through more corridors ,downstairs,out the back door,along the side of the building,back into another door up the stairs through the coridoors in and out of rooms past walkways until we found the place where the show was to be,the lady said we thought you would have been here earlier,we was, we came straight here with the help of the manager,,,he,s not the manager he,s a patient (he seemed just like a person in authority)we had a few laughs after.
TCsteinberg
View Profile
New user
NewYawk
51 Posts

Profile of TCsteinberg
That's sooo funny, I think WE ALL have mental hospital show experiences.
I have two; 1980, I pull out a spring bunny, and then juggle it (one of my oldest comedy bits, still doing it), and a patient in a rolling bed/gurney started screaming uncontrollably and had to be rolled out.
Then in late 80's, I was at Creedmore (u new yorkers know where that is), and I was arranging the plastic furniture to make room for my show, pushed a big plastic couch from the wall, and there was somebody living behind it! oy! I knew this was gonna be one heck of a show!
~ tc ::--.---( )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Mental Hospital (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL