The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chan Canasta's Book Of Oopses (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
If any one here has a copy of this book
could you please PM me?
Thanks in advance,
Yaniv Deautsch
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
I have the "Book of Oopses" and have sent you a second PM about it. If anyone else is interested, it's a curious book aimed at the general public: it's not a magic book.
Chan Canasta: great performer, great man.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
Hey Alan, can you tell us more about the Canasta'Book of Oopses" I recall reading about it but would be interested in knowing more. Thanks in advance and as always,

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
The Book of Oopses is largely a series of experiments that reads the readers mind.
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
Quentin is right. It was a book produced for the general public (definitely not a magic book) in the 1960s and out of print for a long time. Red and white printing on black pages. There were a series of tests: you would be asked to think of something on a page (a word, number, shape, or something similar) and Canasta had put what he thought you would pick in a section at the end. There were two kinds of tset, roughly alternating: sure-fire mathematical ones, and purely psychological ones. This dichotomy would not have been obvious to most members of the public. He would be wrong with some of the psychological ones, hence the name "oopses".

Some of the psychological ones were quite interesting and were heavily dependendent on the spatial disposition of various things (numbers, shapes, ...) on the page.

An intriguing curiosity. I found mine in a second-hand book shop: it had been misclassified under card games (you probably know tha canasta is a rummy-like card game).
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Has anyone seen the book "The Cube"? It might interest some of you. Its basically a psychological game where you or someone is asked to imagine a series of images. How they imagine these images together forms a kind of reading which you refrain from looking up till after you've played the game. It's quite good and a good quick reading can be got from it.

Im sure it could be taken further to create a complete effect from?

Anyway its pretty cheap and you could get it from Amazon.

"The Cube" by Gottlieb & Pesic
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
If you would like to play "The Cube" online, you can visit my website at: http://www.elementalent.com/cube.htm

If you enjoy the exercise, then I recommend that you pick up the book for further insights into this fascinating game.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chan Canasta's Book Of Oopses (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL