The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Just a thing on Gary Kurtz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
199 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Hi,

I posted this in another part of the Café, but in order to hopefully start an interesting discussion here with the coin people, I thought I'd post it here too. Hope that's ok. Just some thoughts to start it off. Feel free to mention anything. Stories of dealings with Gary would be great to hear. Performances you saw, etc. By the way, I know my post is rather optimistic, but I'm just like that.

Posted: Jun 24, 2005 11:17am                    
Hello All,

First off, I'm a big fan of Gary's material. Blocking, misdirection, patter, plot, originality, etc. etc.

Gary's move to mentalism was kinda predictable (ha ha) if you look at the way he handled his sleight of hand presentations. They always seemed to deal with the future, time, etc.

The thing is, Gary moved on. But, someday, I think he may return to magic and sleight of hand (yep, I wrote that). Someday, mentalism may hold little challenge for him, just as magic eventually did. OR maybe magic was burning him out, and mentalism may have a similar effect. Maybe, he'll go back to dance, I don't know.

All I know, is that he impacted magic like very few magicans ever have. He must know this, and eventually, he may say to himself, "what if I went back." It would be great to see the way he would think about magic these days or sometime in the future, with all that extra knowlege that mentalism performances and life, would provide him with. Sure there are tons of magicians that currently are doing just that. But since his history holds so much fascination for magicians, it would be great to see him back.

I hope that he doesn't hate magicians, I'd like to think not. But, if he has ill feelings towards them, hey that's life as we know it, whatever. But I'd still like to think he's cool with magic and magicians.

So here's to Gary coming back eventually, and look out when he does. Until then, we should all work as hard to be as original, and inventive as Gary IS. Oh, and if we ****ed him off by taking some of his stuff when he was into magic, maybe we should all just back off a little next time....or.....grab as much as he's willing to write about. Who know's, but it would sure be interesting.

Cheers,
Brian Roberts
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Wouldn't it be simpler to just contact the guy?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
199 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Stories Jon, other peoples experiences, that's all. You know fun stuff to talk about.

B.

Really like to hear from others about Gary. Or perhaps as I said, this wasn't OK to post. That's ok too.

Thanks,
B.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2950 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Gary chose me to be part of a mentalism routine he was doing at the World Magic Summit a few years ago. It was fun. Later, as he was standing in the dealers room, I approached and asked about a trick he marketed and I bought at his iecture at Al's Magic a couple of years before, an Ace Assembly kind of thing, which I lost. I asked if he was still selling them and he looked at me for a second or two and said, "I don't remember."
I j
Stefan S.
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Stefan S.
Hi there I got to hang out with Gary several times, once for almost a hole week since I was supposed to pick him up at the airport and get him to the youthmeeting that is held here in Germany once a year!

It was realy great having him, when I met him again in Munich he was already all into mentalism which is awesome if you have a chance to see him go right ahead!

Gary is realy a nice person and I'm sorry we lost contact!

So here a little story! Smile Gary had maybe a little to much to drink and could not realy stand straight but when someone requestet to see hanging coins it was pure perfection! Smile

Take care

Stefan
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
199 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Stefan,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Tipsy Hanging Coins....that's too funny!

I've often said that if Gary's mentalism act is as good as his coin work was. Everyone should go see!

B.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Just a thing on Gary Kurtz (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL