The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favorite mentalism authors? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
crossroader
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of crossroader
Which is your favorite mentalism author ? I'm speaking about writing style here not quality of material, effects etc.. Quite a few writers of mentalism books are very inventive but very few of them are also good authors. Most of them tend to be very pompous I think -I don't want to give specific examples. Others are so dry.
My favorite is Cassidy. It's a joy to read his books, he is very entertaining and humorous sometimes. He seems not to take himself too seriously nevertheless he knows how to "transmit" his ideas in a very efficient way.
sarcophilus
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
195 Posts

Profile of sarcophilus
I will second Cassidy as my favorite author. With Maven/Goldstein coming a close second.

-thomas
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Cassidy has some good moments in his books, but must go with Derren on this one.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
I know exactly what you mean telling that are pompous...Even in the best mentalism books that I love writing style is not so special maybe because writing is not their skill and most of the times are trying to write more about secrets than presentation and they do not think how to write it in better style.
My favourite is Eugene Burger but he studied it!You can find better writing style in bizarre-story telling magic books.Also I will give a vote to Cassidy.
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
Burnt
View Profile
New user
England
66 Posts

Profile of Burnt
Ian Rowland has written some good books along with Luke Jermay. However there are so many old authors who are no longer on the market who have written some great work - Micky Hades for example.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
The late Al Mann was my favorite... Reading is "exclusif" manuscript, was like reading some Super-Hero adventure...

Kuffs
Kephri
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm Sweden
195 Posts

Profile of Kephri
I also agree on Cassidy, always enjoy reading his stuff...
But must say I also enjoy Larry Becker...especially in
his Stunners Plus where there are, apart from all the
marvellous routines, many fun and hilarious stories...
among them I like the one about the big hidden away
dice the best...belive he mentions that on one of his
recent DVD:s also.

All the Best

Magnus
czero
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
282 Posts

Profile of czero
I think Barrie Richardson has a very enjoyable writing style. It's almost literary. Small wonder he's able to frame his routines with such wonderfully imaginative patter. Something about the quality of his writing reminds me a bit of David Lodge. I'm not quite sure why.

Richardson's writing style is just the icing on the cake though. The effects in Theater of the Mind are all terrific. I can hardly wait to get my copy of Act Two.

--Mike
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-06-24 21:49, czero wrote:

I think Barrie Richardson has a very enjoyable writing style. It's almost literary. Small wonder he's able to frame his routines with such wonderfully imaginative patter. Something about the quality of his writing reminds me a bit of David Lodge. I'm not quite sure why.

Richardson's writing style is just the icing on the cake though. The effects in Theater of the Mind are all terrific. I can hardly wait to get my copy of Act Two.

--Mike

Richardson is definetely up there with enjoyable writers. Act Two is going to be (when it comes) phenomenal.

Do you have yours pre-ordered Mike?
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I enjoyed the works of Tony "Doc" Shiels. He was a bit of a rascal, and most if not all of his works are out of print, but his books were exciting reads and full of wonderful ideas and very useful concepts.

- entity
czero
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
282 Posts

Profile of czero
Scott,

I didn't preorder, figuring to just get it as soon as it's officially out. That's what I did with Prism, which is still available despite being wildly popular. I figure I'll be able to get my mitts on it before the first printing sells out. Smile

entity,

Have you ever heard the recording "A Session with Tony Shiels," released by Martin Breese? It's been re-released on CD. Quite a kick hearing Shiels himself narrate his adventures. Fortunately, many of his books are still pretty easy to find for reasonable prices.

--Mike
TGENTLE
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
86 Posts

Profile of TGENTLE
Becker. Earle, Hilford and Busch.

tg
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4966 Posts

Profile of landmark
Derren Brown and Cassidy--both of them cheeky, cynical, and fun;
Richardson--gentle humanism;
Maven--erudite, clever;
Busch--rambling, New-Age-y, gushy;
Becker--slick, mainstream, clear.

All really different as writers, but all enjoyable reads (and useful!) to me.

Jack Shalom
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Richard Osterlind -- Improved my act in the first few pages, though his trilogy might be considered too "crossover" with magic. On the other hand, his *Very Modern Mindreader* is snappy and clear.

Banachek -- His *Pre-Thoughts* is very honest and direct. *Psychological Subtleties* is stripped to the very basics, as if only action words were left. "What's there is cherce," as Spencer Tracy said. Scores of effects possible in that li'l book.

Barrie Richardson -- Now here's a guy whose words can be funny, honest, and tasteful. Even when the "secret" isn't his invention, he shows (by example) how to make a routine into one's own.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
Osterlind for the mood, Cassidy for the fluency, Brown for the wits, Rowland for the no - nonsense approach...
emesp82
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of emesp82
My favorite to read is AL MANN
my favorite to watch is RICHARD OSTERLIND
mjvermaak
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of mjvermaak
Hello emesp82 it seems you have the same interest as me. Can you direct me to some shop or what ever to get al mann manuscripts?
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-06-26 12:49, mjvermaak wrote:
Hello emesp82 it seems you have the same interest as me. Can you direct me to some shop or what ever to get al mann manuscripts?

Definetely would also like to know this, I've searched all over and have yet to find Al Mann manuscripts or booklets.
Thanks! Scott B.

RLFrame
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of RLFrame
There was some talk a while back on this board about someone collecting and re-releasing the "Al Mannuscripts." I remember them being somewhat expensive but irresistable the way his catalogue described the effects. And wonderful mysterious names too. I wish I could have afforded more of those manuscripts at the time.
aaguilar007
View Profile
Regular user
México
106 Posts

Profile of aaguilar007
Bob Cassidy, Richard Osterlind, Steve Shaw, Borodin and Max Maven.
“If you can make another person’s reality into something wonderful, you can do real magic”.

Richard Osterlind
Making Real Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favorite mentalism authors? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL