The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Alex Elmsley 's"Tahoe Sessions" vs. David Regal's "P.P.P" series. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
I am thinking about purchasing one of the following DVD series but need some help in deciding which would be a better purchase. Which of the following DVD series is more entertaining and which has more good quality useable material?

**Alex Elmsley's "The Magic of Alex Elmsley; The Tahoe Sessions" (vol. 1 to 4)

**David Regal's "Premise, Power & Participation" (vol. 1 to 4)

Which should I buy if I can only afford one of these four volume series?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Personally I would pick Alex Elmsley, he is a living ledgend, and a kind soul. I have met him once, and we sat and talked for nearly 3 hours during an magic convention. His lecture was met with an standing ovation. He is a quiet and humble man full of histoty of magic which you can hear on the DVD's.

That saying I don't apply that David Regal should be less better, far from it. He is an outstanding performer/author with many clever and amazing ideas.

Never the less if I had to choose I would pick the Elmsley DVD's.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
barkmagicman
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of barkmagicman
David Regals effect and dvd's are far better. The material is intense, and david's way of explaining goes a long way to learning the effect.
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
I would have to say Alex Elmsley.I just like his style and performance better.
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
That's a tough call. Regal is VERY entertaining, but I really don't use anything from them. I'd go with Elmsley, personally.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Thank you everyone, your replies have been helpful! Smile

I am starting to lean towards the Elmsley set.

Peo, Magicmania, and Adam,
Do your routinely perform any of the effects on Elmsley's videos?
If so, which effects do you perform? Which effects are your favorites?

Kind regards,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Regal is more modern and entertaining.
~Joe
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
While much of the stuff of the DVD is not in my current working repertoire. I do perform some of it just for fun around friends. Here is a list of things that I currently do, or at one time did: Four Card Trick, One Poor Lion, Separating the Men from the Boys, Twister Flush, 1002nd Aces, Replusive Aces (very good), Collinspell, Cross-25,a Strange Story, Diamond Cut Diamond, Half Pack Vanish, Between Your Palms. There's so much worthwhile on these DVDs. Highly recommended. My least favorite is volume 3 and if you had to only get one, I would choose Vol 2, with Vol 1 being close second.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Thank you VERY much Adam, your recommendation has been extremely helpful.

I wish you the best.

Kind regards,
Rich
jerry100won
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas Texas
258 Posts

Profile of jerry100won
Which one did you end up with?
Jerry

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Comparing Elmsley and Regal is ridiculous. They are both wonderful in their own right.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 23:46, Cameron Francis wrote:
Comparing Elmsley and Regal is ridiculous. They are both wonderful in their own right.

Agreed!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 23:46, Cameron Francis wrote:

Richard was asking for a comparison of the DVD sets not just the performers. He was doing this to make a purchase decision. Give the guy a break.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Ture, and I wasn't actually refering to the original post. I was criticizing the responses Smile

To my mind, at least, it's an apples and oranges thing. I would say you can't go wrong with either!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I would go for Regal. Mainly Because although Elmsley is a legend and his material is very good, BUT it has been published in so many places allready and most magicians allready know most of the things presented in Elmsley set. Also, I have to admit that I don't use any of Elmsleys effects from the serie. However I do use tons of David Regal stuff. Regal is one of those performers that I like to just watch for entertainment value. In optiman situation I still would suggest you to get em both. However if you are new to magic, then Elmsley might be better cos material is more straight forward and for the historical value. If you are more experienced I would go with Regal.

J-M
jerry100won
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas Texas
258 Posts

Profile of jerry100won
Quote:
On 2007-10-27 14:31, korttihai_82 wrote:
I would go for Regal. Mainly Because although Elmsley is a legend and his material is very good, BUT it has been published in so many places allready and most magicians allready know most of the things presented in Elmsley set. Also, I have to admit that I don't use any of Elmsleys effects from the serie. However I do use tons of David Regal stuff. Regal is one of those performers that I like to just watch for entertainment value. In optiman situation I still would suggest you to get em both. However if you are new to magic, then Elmsley might be better cos material is more straight forward and for the historical value. If you are more experienced I would go with Regal.

J-M

Thanks this is a very helpful way of looking at the options in terms of purchase order.
Jerry

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
I know I'm about to commit heresy, but I'm not a huge fan of Elmsley's stuff. Mostly it's a style thing. He was certainly a brilliant man, and of course, where would we all be without the Elmsley count, but overall, I just haven't been overly moved by his material. I will admit however, that I've only studied a small portion, so there could be tons of stuff out there from him that I'm unfamiliar with.

I am, however, a huge regal fan. I love the way he thinks about magic, and I love his thinking and lessons on Premise, Power and participation.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think the Elmsley material is excellent, but his performing style is not for everyone. He's VERY English ( not like Monty Python "humerous" English ) and can come off as such.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MikeLarkin
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of MikeLarkin
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2007, Review King wrote:
I think the Elmsley material is excellent, but his performing style is not for everyone. He's VERY English ( not like Monty Python "humerous" English ) and can come off as such.

And yet he is Scottish!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Alex Elmsley 's"Tahoe Sessions" vs. David Regal's "P.P.P" series. (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL