The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Anthony Stagnero's Cold Reading Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Anthony Stagnero's 'Something From Nothing', his book on cold reading. I see that this is now on the shelves at $45...any reviews from actual owners/readers would be appreciated. Thanks.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
A fairly good book for those just getting into readings. Has some good information on Zodiac signs aswell as thorough breakdowns on different characteristics in people and several pre-written lines for readings. Felt it was a fairly good buy.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
sarcophilus
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
195 Posts

Profile of sarcophilus
I just got it and I really like it. Like Scott said, it is more for the beginner cold reader but it is a great starting point.

-thomas
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
It's total junk, save your money and buy something else. There are MUCH better books on cold-reading out there. Stagnaro lectured in Europe -- I was at two of the lectures. He was terrible. (I read the book before the lecture and didn't like it. I went to the lecture because I wanted to see a train wreck, and I did!).
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
His name is Angelo Stagnaro.

BM
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
My mistake.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Quote:
On 2005-06-26 00:32, asper wrote:
It's total junk, save your money and buy something else. There are MUCH better books on cold-reading out there. Stagnaro lectured in Europe -- I was at two of the lectures. He was terrible. (I read the book before the lecture and didn't like it. I went to the lecture because I wanted to see a train wreck, and I did!).

I agree with you a 100%. I was another unhappy customer with his products and especially with his lecture, considered in Spain one of the worst lecturers ever.
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
227 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
I agree. Worst lecture I've ever seen, and I've seen hundreds of magic lectures. And he had no respect for those in the audience. Sad and pathetic.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4933 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
His total disrespect for reading systems like numerology and tarot is really insulting.

I don't understand this type of performer. If you don't believe in the tarot or numerology that is fine, but they are both actual systems that can be learned.

Most of the information in the book can be found on the internet, including all "effects" included in the book.

A really great set of books on cold reading are Ron Martin's.
Tarot readers notebook
Palm readers notebook
Numerology notebook

Excellent advise from someone who [oh my god] actually does readings for money.

Stagnaro's book is crap.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2046 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
But guys, you're forgetting an important point: That book was the first mentalism book to be published in two languages simultaneously! German and English! I mean, come on... two languages!

What does that have to do with anything? I have no friggin' clue, but the publisher certainly made a big deal about it at the time...
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
I don't think his lecture was bad. For the seasoned mentalist there was nothing new, but all those new to mentalism and cold reading learned a lot at his lecture. At least the one I attended.
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
227 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
Did he show up to your lecture on time?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I really like the idea of having all the tables in one place. That is this book's redeaming value. I disagree with most of his text, and I think the collection of mathematical tricks in a book of cold reading is silly, and out of place. But the tables are nice.

Tony
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
But does it justifies the price tag?

just wondering that's all.
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The only thing that justifies the pricetag is what we are willing to pay. Supply and demand. Personally, I do not demand this book.

Tony
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
The book is very, hmmm, uneven and it does have *some* bits of valuable information. It's a mix of cold reading bits and various magic tricks etc.

The lecture I actually found interesting. Yes, also uneven, but there were some really interesting bits. I particularly enjoyed his (not actually his, but taught to him) rope effect. Yes, I said rope, where the idea is to psychically and visually free your tied up hands, fairly tied by the participants! (True... when will I use this? Probably never or maybe around magicians, when a rope is laying around, but still...) Also a decent elementary spoon bend among other things.

The man himself is a nice guy. Works as a teacher.
Scot Grassette
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Scot Grassette
Maybe I'm a little secluded here in Maine but here is my review on Angelo's lecture, and I think my fellow club members will agree. Angelo was pleasant, casual and comfortable in a room of magicians.

The first part of his visit is based on the powers of the mind. He presented several wonderful mind reading effects, two spoon bendings and a beautiful, visual, rope tie escape where the rope visually melts off his wrist. When he presented a seemingly impossible book test with an ungimmicked telephone book, I had to think, "Knowing that one effect will be worth the rush back to Maine and the admission price". It was.

After a short break the group came back for the Cold Reading part of his lecture. Unlike TV's Jonathan Edwards, Angelo always has the disclaimer that this is for entertainment only. Misleading your audience would be unethical and immoral. Make it clear that you are an entertainer. He adds this, and I think this is very important for your credibility and your reputation. Cold reading may be easier than you think and there are many clues and "tricks" you can use to get information to do a good reading. If nothing else cold reading will help you pick the best volunteers!

Several effects were presented as workshop pieces, where members tried the magic themselves. Angelo is clever, witty, and never pushy for sales. For those of you debating whether you will attend the Angelo's lecture I have two words for you; go, enjoy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Anthony Stagnero's Cold Reading Book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL