The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » The passing of a great British Children's Entertainer. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bates
View Profile
New user
East of the Sun, West of the Moon
3 Posts

Profile of Bates
May I just mention the passing on June 13, 2005, at the age of 83, of one of Britain's finest Children's Entertainers. Frankie Woods was a giant talent. He constructed and performed his own marionettes, was a master of card manipulation, balloon modeller beyond belief etc. He had worked for the British Holiday Company Pontins with his lovely wife, Barbara (who died in the early 1980s) for around 30 years. They had also done 3 seasons at Blackpool Tower. Frankie and Barbara sadly did not have any children of their own. In addition Frankie was a wonderful ukelele and banjolele player and idolised the late George Formby. He composed innumerable pieces in the George Formby idiom. During the last few years of Frankie's life he was involved with the North Wales George Formby Society, who apparently, to his delight, performed his own works back to him.

This short tribute cannot even begin to convey the almost frightening talent, enthusiasm, and sheer love of the 'business' that Frankie had, but I thank the Magic Café from the bottom of my heart for providing this facility.

Frankie is now interred with his beloved Barbara at Macclesfield Cemetery, Cheshire, England.

Sincerely.
Bates wishes you well.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
My condolences to the family and friends of Frankie Woods. I didn't know him, but from your description I missed out knowing this wonderful person.

Chrystal
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » The passing of a great British Children's Entertainer. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL