We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Gas surcharge? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
I know of a couple of guys who add $ due to the cost of gas.(5-10 dollars per gig) Here is my take....I have a Suburu outback. it has a 12 gallon tank and I get approx. 20 mile to the gallon. when gas was $1.50 a gallon and I filled up with 10 gallons it cost $15.00 to fill upor about $.07 per mile. Now gas is about $2.25 a gallon or $22.50 to fill up. or$.11 per mile. Say your trip is 50 miles round trip it would cost about 2 dollars more to do the gig. I think it is petty as it is just part of bussiness and when the gas prices go down I do not think the prices will.

I am a MAGICIAN not a MATHMATICIAN and I hope my numbers are correct.

Jeff
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I myself don't like adding the gas charges however the price of gas is the most of have ever spent and it is cutting into my income. So it is either raise prices or add a gas charge. Grocery stores if you notice are more expensive right now, it is costing them more to get food the stores. etc.

If you are talking just 50 miles then I say no big deal. But keep in mine those miles add up. This week I have over 700 miles to travel with my library show and gas prices are KILLING me.

Ken
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
You guys are lucky Gas is so cheap over there, here in the Uk in my region (not the most expensive) it is 89P a litre aproxx $4.50 a gallon or aproxx $8.00!
Phillip
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
The cost of gas is just a business cost. I would not add a "Gas surcharge". It looks amateurish!

A professional takes into account his business cost when figuring his fees. I put thousands of miles on my SUV this summer and the price of gas hasn't affected my bottom line because I built it into my fee. I charge a "flat fee" which includes the program, transportation and a hotel if needed. That way the client knows what they're paying and I know ALL costs are covered!

I'm just glad we have gas and there are no shortages!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I have a 30 gallon tank and just filled it with 29 gallons for a cost of $70.00.

I get about 450 miles on that tank, or appoximately $15.00 for 100 miles round trip. I quote an extra $25 for shows over 50 miles and I know where they live before I give a quote. (Tolls are included in that quote.)

Since I have a toll-free number I ask were they live as one of my first questions. I get calls all over the states so many I can't possible do. It works for me. Now if my shows were other than birthday parties or I get what John get per gig, this issue would not come into play. When competing for the birthday market, one can easily overprice themselves.

I do not call it a surcharge, and the person on the other end of the line does not know this difference in prices. If I did a show for the neiighbor, it would still be the same price.
Dennis Michael
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Flexibility and tactful business negotiations help us out when approaching the issue of travel expenses.

At times, we have found it easier to say X is the cost of the show, plus Y to cover our travel expenses, gas, hotel etc... When we have used this approach while negotiating show contracts for out of town performances, the client has always been receptive to it.

At other times, we have simply built the cost of travel into the fee set for the show.

When deciding on which approach to use, there are different rule of thumb criteria that we use including, who is the client (are they experienced at hiring entertainment, is this a large event that hires a lot of entertainment etc....), how far do we have to travel to do the show (is it 20 miles or 1000 miles....), are we already on the road and nearby (can we fit them into an existing tour or is this a one off....), what type of budget would this client have (is this an organization that specifically budgets for entertainment and understands the nature of the business....), and so on....

In taking this approach, we can justify being paid different rates for the same show in different venues.

Rob
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
I only put a gas charge if the show is so far out of my surrounding district. I have formes up a map of counties that takes me 1 hour or less to get to. If the show is out of that district, I add a gas charge. It seems to understandable to most of my clients.
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
I should state that I do charge more for shows further away, however that is my fee and I think it is fair to charge for travel time. To look at it another way, if I charge $150.00 to my neighbor and $ 200.00 for someone an hour away. I am working three hours to make just $50.00 more than I would off my neighbor. DEN, you guys in N.J. have tolls to leave your driveway it seems. I hate going to NY thru Jersey.

Jeff
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
How available are deisel cars in the United States? When possible, I take my VW Jetta (deisel) to the shows. It gets 58 miles to the gallon and deisel is often a bit cheaper than regular gas. (Last summer, I drove from Toronto to Boston for $25.00 CDN ($20.00 US?)of fuel) The engine is also rated for a lifetime of 300000 miles.

Other times, it's the van pulling a trailer and then the cost of fuel really becomes an issue. However, when someone has ordered that large of a show, the cost of the show is also quite a bit more.

Rob
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I wish we could put a surcharge on the shows like UPS does for it's charges or the electric company does for it's power, but it doesn't work that way. I tried to once give a cash discount for non credit card payments. It just didn't work. As previously stated, it is just the cost of doing buisiness.

I would rather raise the fees and that try to nickle and dime people to death. People will understand if you explain you have increased costs also. If they don't understand, do you really need them as a client?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
A professional takes into account his business cost when figuring his fees. I put thousands of miles on my SUV this summer and the price of gas hasn't affected my bottom line because I built it into my fee. I charge a "flat fee" which includes the program, transportation and a hotel if needed. That way the client knows what they're paying and I know ALL costs are covered!

Hi,
I agree I work the same way my sport coupe does aprox 30 miles to a gallon which is £4.50 or aproxx $8.00 most of my work is covered with one or two gallons tops
I find people just want to know the total cost
Phillip
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If you are working on such a tight margin of profit that you have to knit pick over a couple dollars for driveing under 100 miles from your home my suggestion to you is RAISE YOUR BASIC PRICE. Nobody wants to hire a penny pinching magician.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Agree totally on having one set fee. Problem is however I am at the highest I can go right now for libraries. So me raising the fees for libraries is a tuff one because I am at the highest I can go right now in "most cases". But totally agree should have one set fee, it makes it easier for everyone.

However my library market I am learning that the librarians are used to paying a fee plus travel.

Bottom line the gas prices are hurting everyone right now.

Best,
Ken
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I have a map on the wall with concentric circles radiating out from my home. When I quote a fee I add a certain amount for each circle away it is from my home, or the next gig. This was done to take into account both gas and wear and tear on the car. I would never make it an add on, it is simply part of the fee quoted. Surcharge has such a nasty sound to it, kind of like "dealer Prep" used to be when buying a car.

Frank Tougas

P.S. - I stole the idea from U.P.S. Delivery time charts.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Many interesting ideas for dealing with the gas price thing...bottom line is to find that balance between remaining competitive and pricing yourself fairly in your market...i'm fortunate in that the educational/library where I do most of my work is at a better rate than if I where to be doing more parties...i purposely charge more for these in order to try and discourage them...when they pay more then I feel like it's worth leaving my family for this time

another thought is that many companies/organizations aren't getting any extra money because of the gas costs...they still have the same budget
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I'm pretty mellow about this gas charge thing. I charge a flat rate for a 200 mile radius, anything that goes WAY outside that I charge more...when I talk to clients they seem to understand and are really cool about it (my location's on my site, so how would they not know that I live far away and may need the extra money?).
Chris
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Include it in your price otherwise those who live far away from you will feel they are getting a bum deal.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Point taken, thanks Nick!
Chris
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
I have a VAN. I filled up last week and the total was over $100.00 I have raised my fees slighty to accomodate.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I just sent a UPS package and I got a gas sur-charge on my bill!
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Gas surcharge? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL