The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question about back palm grip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kitsuken
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of kitsuken
I've managed to get a copy of Bobo's book "modern coin magic" and ave been trying out the coin concealments in it. However, I have had trouble getting the back palm/front palm technique to work. Do these grips require a certain size of coin to do? I've been using 10p (same as quarter) coins for all the others, but I've tried a 2p and even then it seems too small to do the grip, most notably with the back palm. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Oh, and sorry if this seems quite vague. I'm trying to avoid going into detail because I'm not sure to what extent we're allowed to mention these in the open forums. Thanks for reading Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
If you haven't done so already, read page 340 of Bobo's MCM..
kitsuken
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of kitsuken
Well don't I feel like an idiot. I read through things quickly and then went to try and practice, but missed the comments on coin size. Thanks for the help Jaz, I'll have a look through the coins I've got and see if I have anything bigger. I think I'm going to have to buy one though, I seem to have fingers too big for any of the UK coins.
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
Kisuken,
Try using a 2 pound coin there pritty big

Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The Backpalm material tends to keep many aspiring coinmen out of trouble. Those who wish to go forward quickly dismiss the thing as a pointless display of one's hand in an unnatural action and move on to BackClip, Tenkai Pinch, Downs Palm and from there... Edge Grip and ... well you know.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Signature
View Profile
New user
Austria->Vienna
45 Posts

Profile of Signature
Backpalming coins is really hard to learn as I think Smile
I tried the same coins as you and it didn't work since they are a bit to small for
my hands but you can try a bigger coin and it may work better

but as jonathan sayd it is unatural and it does not look that good until you are
really spot on with it ;D and

downs palm and ege grip are the most practical palms in stage magic as I think
but there are also very much good other ones

if you do have a small split between your last 2 fingers you might get onto some
similar problems that I have too
I have a hard time to do tenkai pinch and backpalm but back klip and
the other stuff works really good for me Smile

there is one thing of advice I can give you:
do not limit your thinking of using coins as props try using as much different coins as possible and you will then find the ones that are naturally suited to your handz

Keep up practicing

Greets
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-06-30 12:05, Signature wrote:...it does not look that good until you are
really spot on with it ...

I've seen Presto and Lou Lancaster do the Downs Eureka coin vanish sequence very well.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2005-06-30 12:23, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-06-30 12:05, Signature wrote:...it does not look that good until you are
really spot on with it ...

I've seen Presto and Lou Lancaster do the Downs Eureka coin vanish sequence very well.

Also Francis Corea can do it flawlessly. Presto and Lou are both incredible.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question about back palm grip (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL