We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Ahead Of The Pack" - Recommendation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ThoughtThief
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of ThoughtThief
Just wanted to let the members know that I received a copy of Ahead of the Pack, which I purchased through Ian Rowland's excellent site. Although, as the name implies, the book is primarily devoted to cards, a number are "mental" in nature. More importantly, the final two sections contain some terrific mentalism, my favorite being a marvelous application of the cumulative/progressive anagram concept called "Paperchase," which had me kicking myself for not thinking of this application before. This is a fantastic no-preparation, close up, drawing room, platform, stage, newspaper office "think of a word" effect using one or more borrowed newspapers that you need never have seen before.

There is also a potentially deadly "call my friend the medium" system, called "Mystral," by which you will be able to transmit dates, words, cards, even drawings to your psychic telephone friend -- without your saying a word! (No,you don't have the spectator unknowingly code your friend, and no, there is no pretending the phone is ringing and waiting to say something whilst the psychic friend is reeling off a list of whatever.)

Intrigued?
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
I agree with this recommendation. For many performers the mentalism section alone will be worth the price of the book. There's an excellent torn centre method. Also some of the card effects could be adapted to mentalism.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
587 Posts

Profile of wayman
Mental Monte is just fantastic.
promethee
View Profile
Regular user
France
125 Posts

Profile of promethee
It's a pity everyone can't access this stuff, since Mr. Rowland can send books to Malaysia, but not to France!

Do you know if this book is available in a shop elsewhere?
La fleur de l'illusion produit le fruit de la realite.
MikeM
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
110 Posts

Profile of MikeM
I agree great principle if you can afford it you may like to check out Terri Rogers The Key which uses the aternsoil soil principle.Two specially printed books are provided in volving a book test.

This is still available in the UK through Martin Breeze - pricey but worth the cost to the performing magician.

Mike
Smile
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
Quote:
On 2002-10-26 15:58, promethee wrote:
It's a pity everyone can't access this stuff, since Mr. Rowland can send books to Malaysia, but not to France!

Do you know if this book is available in a shop elsewhere?

The book is availalble only from Ian Rowland. Are you sure he can't mail to France. Try contacting Ian via his website http://www.ian-rowland.com/Start/IRStartIndex.htm
It's a great book.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
promethee
View Profile
Regular user
France
125 Posts

Profile of promethee
Quote:
On 2002-10-26 20:07, Alan Jackson wrote:

The book is availalble only from Ian Rowland. Are you sure he can't mail to France. Try contacting Ian via his website http://www.ian-rowland.com/Start/IRStartIndex.htm
It's a great book.

There's a page on his website, where he explains that he doesn't send to France anymore since "9 times out of 10" the order doesn't arrive ! I guess he had problems in the past, but I think he exagerates a little bit the percentage! (I didn't have any problem since I order online, from US or UK).
La fleur de l'illusion produit le fruit de la realite.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Quote:
On 2002-10-26 15:58, promethee wrote:

I think I might have a possible explanation why the packages don't turn up at the correct address in France.
the French are known (correctly or incorrectly) to be very intolerable of badly spoken French, and badly pronounced words. They use to reply if your French is not sufficiently good, or they pretend they don't understand. I think it can be the same phenomenon with the packages not arriving. Maybe the English and the French write their addresses in a different order? I don't know, but I'll take an example of the differencies between the US and Sweden. I write my address "Bergsvagen 3D", While in the Us they write "3D Bergsvagen". If the address is written in a way that doesn't pleases the French post services, maybe they refuse to deliver it?

The above is just a hypothesis, and of course not true for all French people. I have as well heard stories where the bad pronounciation has not been a problem, and the French have been very nice and helping.

Mikael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Ahead Of The Pack" - Recommendation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.66 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL