The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Permits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chris mayhew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto ON, Canada
179 Posts

Profile of chris mayhew
I have never busked before but I want to start to get into it, I just need to know weather or not you need some kind of liscence or permit to busk in the cities down town areas?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Probably yes. It all depends on where you live. Local laws vary widely. Check out http://www.performers.net for some info from those who've gone this route before you.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Be sure to ask the right people and GET IT IN WRITING. I once discovered a great spot to perform in a popular tourist city. Great traffic, lots of restaurants & mom & pop shops, wide sidewalks and a thriving throng of fresh, prosperous visitors daily. I visited city hall and asked about permits for and regulations regarding street performers. I was verbally given the basics. I wrote down the helpful clerk's name and hit the streets. Within an hour, I was being rudely pushed out by a beat patrol officer. Rule #1...NEVER argue with a police officer on the street...they ALWAYS win that battle! The next day, I returned to city hall, asked for and received the guidelines in writing. I took this to the police department to politely confirm that I was operating within the local laws. (Being a retired cop, I'm familiar with the ins-&-outs of interdepartment politics) A patrol department supervisor initialed the guidelines. It was all a pain in the butt, but the hats were heavy and worth the trouble. It was also a comfort knowing that I was covered if I was hassled by another beat rookie.

This is my long-winded way of advising you to know your turf, cover your butt and get your permissions in SOME form of writing if at all possible. But, even then...if confronted, don't argue. You can't win against those who "own" the street!

Bust a hat!
Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
chris mayhew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto ON, Canada
179 Posts

Profile of chris mayhew
Thank you for your help.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2005-07-01 00:13, chris mayhew wrote:
I have never busked before but I want to start to get into it, I just need to know weather or not you need some kind of liscence or permit to busk in the cities down town areas?

Chris, I have followed the adage "It is better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission." I have found that if I shouldn't be there someone in authority (nice way of saying "a cop") will tell me I'm wrong. I then say "sorry, I tried to find out at city hall and they didn't know. Is there anywhere I can set up?" They will generally say "NO!" I just respond, OK I'll quit now, thanks. and then I DO QUIT. Don't set up somewhere else because then you could go to jail if they have no sense of humour.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Paddy has a good point, Chris, and I know that this is the general consensus of a lot of street performers. Being an ex-cop, I'm kind of nervous about doing things "outside of the book". My wife says I'm a tad obsessive about obeying rules and laws. Okay, she says I'm manic in that area. But I have a very outgoing personality and I know how to schmooze. When I go to city hall I always take a balloon bouquet or some other gift. I also carry my press clipping scrapbook. It amazes me how well that works. And since busking is a sideline for me, I generally work the same areas so people get to know me. Same thing with the cops. I take a couple boxes of donuts...tongue in cheek. They laugh and I get heard. This is my way and it generally works for me...now.

Please note, however, that Paddy and I do agree on one thing...don't argue with the authority telling you to move on! "Begging forgiveness" is in the true busking spirit and may work better for you. One of these days, if my therapy is successful, I may even give it a try.

:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-07-01 00:13, chris mayhew wrote:

Depends on where you're busking. In Providence, you do need a permit, but it's free. You just have to make an appointment with the city council to plead your case. (On the other side, the permit doesn't allow you to actively solicit donations and you are at the descrection of the local police in the area, and the shop owners.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
chris mayhew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto ON, Canada
179 Posts

Profile of chris mayhew
Thank you for your help, any more usefull imformation would be appreciated. I don't think getting a permit in my city will be hard, I live in calgary alberta canada, us canadians are nice EH... anyways I will do some research on how to get a permit for busking, or I could just ask some of the buskers I see downtown playing guitar.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Some of them might not realize they need a permit. First thing to do would be to go to city hall and ask there.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
In some areas musicians are exempt from needing a permit. Follow Mandrake01's advice and find out for yourself.

In Boulder, CO you need a permit, but it too is free. All you need to do is fill out the forms and they assign you a time slot.

In Copenhagen, permits were also free for the asking but it takes two weeks to process and they had to be signed off by both the City Office and the Police Dept.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
chris mayhew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto ON, Canada
179 Posts

Profile of chris mayhew
Thank you for all your help
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Permits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL